R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is it wrong to love a car this much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
MrsABrown
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it wrong to love a car this much?

Hi All -

First time poster, long time reader....just stopping by to introduce myself and say how incredibly in love I am with this car! I've had him (Bruno) for almost two weeks now and I seriously have separation anxiety when I have to get out and go to work/home/in a store...its such an odd and wonderful feeling.

The way we came together makes me believe this was the car for me. After test driving 3 Coopers (one Justa, Convertible S and another Justa that I had decided I would buy) the MA sent me to CarMax to get an appraisal on my 2006 Matrix, while waiting the sales guy started looking through their inventory and found my new love - a 2011 Cooper S, 4k miles, 3 options packages in the Hot Chocolate color I wanted and I knew it was meant to be - kinda sucked for the MA at the Mini dealership but oh well. I got what I wanted and paid much less than I would have - Yea Me!!

Looking forward to learning a lot about my new ride - have already laughed my way through the Did You Know This about your Mini thread...

Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
No. And welcome.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO!! Molly just turned 4yrs. Old last Thursday and I love her more and more everyday...and to show her, she is seen by the MINI Dealer every 6mo. for Service and Mods., she is part of the Family...nuff said!!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
The love only grows.

Absolutely not! We are now a three MINI family and the love just oozes. There is a night light in the garage so the the "kids" don't have to sleep in the dark and I plan to decorate the garage this summer to simulate a MINI dealership so they have a place to just relax and kick back in a zone of their own. I have already collected MINI posters, banners, and other swag. I have had MINImowse for nearly four years and the love only grows. She had to spend the night in the shop several months ago (minor fix) and I even had a nightmare that she was "car-napped" and held hostage which then transitioned into the shop burning to the ground! I was a wreck until she came home safe and sound!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by MrsABrown
Hi All -

First time poster, long time reader....just stopping by to introduce myself and say how incredibly in love I am with this car! I've had him (Bruno) for almost two weeks now and I seriously have separation anxiety when I have to get out and go to work/home/in a store...its such an odd and wonderful feeling.

The way we came together makes me believe this was the car for me. After test driving 3 Coopers (one Justa, Convertible S and another Justa that I had decided I would buy) the MA sent me to CarMax to get an appraisal on my 2006 Matrix, while waiting the sales guy started looking through their inventory and found my new love - a 2011 Cooper S, 4k miles, 3 options packages in the Hot Chocolate color I wanted and I knew it was meant to be - kinda sucked for the MA at the Mini dealership but oh well. I got what I wanted and paid much less than I would have - Yea Me!!

Looking forward to learning a lot about my new ride - have already laughed my way through the Did You Know This about your Mini thread...
Ah love! And in the Spring too.

You are not alone.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, I wish she knew how I felt. But it's perfectly normal, and glad you found yourself the perfect MINI. That's almost the same way it happened to me when I knew I found destiny:-P.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 AM
MrsABrown
Neutral
Well thanks everyone for assuring me that I am not crazy/alone for loving this little car so much

Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Have you told your husband about this "love affair"...or is it a purely platonic relationship? Perhaps Dr. Phil could help!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 AM
MrsABrown
Neutral
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Have you told your husband about this "love affair"...or is it a purely platonic relationship? Perhaps Dr. Phil could help!
LOL - One night I was sitting in the car in the driveway (nothing weird about that right?) and my girl child asks the husband where I am...his reply - out there with her Other Husband...he's accepted that he has to share my love.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I know what you are feeling. And I asked myself this question recently, albeit a bit differently. I'm a classic car guy. For me, the only purpose of a modern vehicle was to get back and forth reliably, so I could devote more time to my classics. I fought guilt for almost a year, because I was thinking about, and working on my Cooper more than my Plymouth. I finally decided to take the plunge, and repaint my Plymouth, hoping that getting back into it would rejuvenate my love. Well half way into the repaint, I realized "why fight these feelings?" I drive the cooper more, it's a more important and practical vehicle, too. So I sold the Plymouth, and the Cooper is now my main project. When it's finished, I'll go back to another classic, but for right now I only have the time and funds for one car. And that's my MINI.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Welcome, your not alone I have separation anxiety as well. I tell my friends/family that I don't mind driving as long as its my car.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
hcalvarez
2nd Gear
Diddo! Meet Turbo Teddy! One week old, loving him a lot. Cant's stop looking at him even at work. LOL

Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
MINI love is perfectly natural! MINIs refuse to blend in with the crowd, and their distinct "personality" is hard to resist... for a MINI enthusiast, at least. They aren't everybody's cup of tea. But in a world of wheeled appliances, the MINI stands out and gives us a lot to like. We love to drive, and MINIs love being driven.

As for classics... as mentioned above... I also have a "pet car". See my signature below. It used to be that the MG was my fun car, while the "daily driver" VW GTI was just transportation. Now, with the MINI, it's a lot harder to decide which car to take out on a nice day. They're both huge fun!

Spridget

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Two Mini family at my house, and only two of us live here. My wife bought Percy in '07. It was her turn for a new car (we aren't so well off we get one every year). I was in love. She never had to wash, wax, or clean Percy. I made sure he was pampered. I made sure she knew where and how to park. I scolded her for phantom parking. I kept him cherry.
She forbade me to mod. I respected that. He was her car and she loved him too. I got to tweak a little, here and there. But, oh, I plotted and planned.
I passed on my turn, twice, putting a kiddo in grad school in Stirling Scotland. I still have both kidneys, but just barely.
She has Mack, now, a cabrio. I have Percy. Still in love. Now I wash, wax, and clean them both. They both get pampered. Percy has to sleep outside, so I sneak in extra washes.
And if they mention hail on the bottom of the TV screen...you can put two Minis in a one car garage. You can't close the door, but they are safe. Praise be.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
cloud10
4th Gear
You are perfectly sane--as sane as the rest of us MINI fanatics.
I went on the Arizona British European Auto Tour last weekend. First trip on my own since my husband died.
The drive up through Sedona into Flagstaff was wonderful with all the other cars. Mad Maxx finally got to stretch his legs!
There were all kinds of high dollar rides on this trip, including a race car. I wasn't tempted by any of them, no matter how pretty. It occurred to me that I might have the least expensive car of them all as so many dollars were put into Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, Rolls..., but I wouldn't trade my MINI convertible or my CM ALL4 for any of them.
The best part of the weekend for me was my solitary ride home from the pines of Flag down into red rock country Sedona and then up over Jerome with its famous twisties. Money couldn't buy that feeling of the top down with my gorillas riding along.
The cabrio holds the road like it is on rails. Simply amazing. Hated getting home.
My only regret is that the two MINIs can't be in my bedroom at night, but I did put one garage back onto the house so one can stay nearby. The other MINI and the CUBE are in the back garage. Mad Maxx just won't give up his spot at the house.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
if it's wrong, then I don't want to be right!! Attending MOTD 10 anniversary next week in North Carolina, so my whole vacation is about my Mini!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cloud10
You are perfectly sane--as sane as the rest of us MINI fanatics.
I went on the Arizona British European Auto Tour last weekend. First trip on my own since my husband died.
The drive up through Sedona into Flagstaff was wonderful with all the other cars. Mad Maxx finally got to stretch his legs!
There were all kinds of high dollar rides on this trip, including a race car. I wasn't tempted by any of them, no matter how pretty. It occurred to me that I might have the least expensive car of them all as so many dollars were put into Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, Rolls..., but I wouldn't trade my MINI convertible or my CM ALL4 for any of them.
The best part of the weekend for me was my solitary ride home from the pines of Flag down into red rock country Sedona and then up over Jerome with its famous twisties. Money couldn't buy that feeling of the top down with my gorillas riding along.
The cabrio holds the road like it is on rails. Simply amazing. Hated getting home.
My only regret is that the two MINIs can't be in my bedroom at night, but I did put one garage back onto the house so one can stay nearby. The other MINI and the CUBE are in the back garage. Mad Maxx just won't give up his spot at the house.
Glad you had such a great time on your first drive since losing your husband. My condolences and best wishes to you and your family. Nice to know that these little cars can bring us some joy when we really need it!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM
user 837978240
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bring my MINI in for service...I find myself looking at it when it's up on the lift, when it's lowered and while they drive the MINI back to me. O_O

Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No it is not wrong. What's wrong is driving a car you don't love.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I had to read this thread totally through after reading the title. I too feel that the feelings I have for my Mini are unlike any feelings I have had for any car that I have owned before. Let me say, I have cars that I presently own for well over 20 years and they are cars that I would never part with for any reason, but do I enjoy them like I do my 2008 Cooper...No. Blasting the other cars for a few hours is truly pulse quickening, and the work that went into them has been intense, but driving this car, the way I can drive this car, and get 30+ MPG, is like nothing I have experienced before. I truly love this car and enjoy driving it every minute I'm in it. Love for these cars seem to be part of ownership. I will always own one. I can't imagine another car that can be as much fun.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Let's just all face it. These are the coolest cars around. Looks, driveability, manueverability, just plain awesome cars even with some of their little quirks that show up now and then.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Welcome, your not alone I have separation anxiety as well. I tell my friends/family that I don't mind driving as long as its my car.
+1!!
People think I'm crazy when I tell them "I don't mind sitting in Traffic, I'm drivin' the Molly Car!!".

They'll never get it!!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
There are car guys and there are Mini enthusiasts who seriously enjoy going anyplace to drive our Minis, it's nice to be among peers and just look for longer routes to drive with enjoyment, few cars bring smiles and giggles as often... What a hoot to have a fun and economical car in one!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
theging
3rd Gear
it is wrong if you don't love your MINI that much.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theging
it is wrong if you don't love your MINI that much.
+1!!

Quick Reply: R56 Is it wrong to love a car this much?