R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Had EVERYTHING fixed. Steps for prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM
iffy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had EVERYTHING fixed. Steps for prevention?

Hi there,
Let me just say that having owned quite a few cars, my MCS is the most fun I've had on 4 wheels...

New (to me) 07 R56 MCS owner from the UK here.
My 25k miles 'cherished Mini' MCS is about to come back from 2 weeks in the shop for a multitude of warranty issues (decoke, timing chain tensioner + maybe associated bits, new windscreen, new rear arb bushings, dash rattles etc...)
If anyone's in interested; the car had a slightly uneven idle, jerky 1st-2nd change when cold, whistling noise at 80+mph and a noisy timing chain and it was rattletastic...

Seeing as I've only got a year of warranty, I was wondering what sort of preventative measures I should be taking so I'm not landed with a 3 grand+ bill in another 25k miles of city driving?
Anything past a catch-can and a prayer? Will be running on premium and 6k oil changes.

This is a great community, have learned so much!

Like many, I guess I bought expecting ultimate reliability having come from Citroens and 80s Porsches, but french engines lol!
At least I've been getting 32mpg compared to 22mpg in my 2.0 C4 vtr.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

edit: car is a DS mcs, 07, sport suspension, (soon to go) runflats, punch leather, vis pack, HK sound, chili etc Waited a long time to find one in this spec!

Last edited by iffy; 05-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catch-can is good start. Praying good. Might sacrifice a goat to the god/gods of your choice to too. Old school, but worth a shot.

There is some belief in running water/methanol injection as being a preventive for carbon build up. Some argue since it isn't spraying all the time (just under boost) its cleaning behavior is minimal. I plan on installing a Aquamist system ASAP on my new coupe. I look at it as a $1000 insurance policy.

I've seen arguments about driving habits coming into play, i.e. short trips that the engine never gets warmed up. But who knows for sure!

Has anyone investigated extended warranties or third party warranties covering this type of thing?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with your planned short OCI, still check the oil level on a regular basis. If the motor is burning/leaking oil, you can lose quite a bit long before that 6,000 mile mark.

In addition to the catch can, you might want to try a PCV Seafoam treatment every now and then (not sure how that might work with a catch can installed).