R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How's the Mini's AT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's the Mini's AT?

I'm considering a Cooper or Cooper S hardtop, along with a few other vehicles for my next daily driver. While I know the car really shines with the manual transmission, I'd have to go with an auto.

That said, how are the auto Minis? Do the paddles work well? Does it take all the fun out of the car?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
I LOVE my auto MINI Cooper. Just back from tail of the dragon, and had no problems keeping up with anyone. The steptronic gear shifting is really pretty good with minimal lag. Sport Mode keeps the car always ready to go. The only way to know is to drive it yourself.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
I have a 2009 MCS with a 6-spd. manual that I love, but I still get a thrill from driving my wife's 2010 MCS with the STEPTRONIC Auto w/ paddles. It is just like driving a Formula car.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
Good to hear. Most AT's on the market are terrible, not quick or responsive, and they upshift too soon.

Also looking at the larger, more comfortable (but not as sharp handling) VW GTI with superb DSG tranny. I'm a VW fan, but I know I'd enjoy driving a Mini!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Kfriceman
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Extemely happy with the AT, no regrets.

-Kevin

Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
As for a 7,000 mile new 2012, simply awesome! The Sport Button will give you your daily fix of fun.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
Good to hear. Most AT's on the market are terrible, not quick or responsive, and they upshift too soon.

Also looking at the larger, more comfortable (but not as sharp handling) VW GTI with superb DSG tranny. I'm a VW fan, but I know I'd enjoy driving a Mini!
If you have to get an auto I'd say go with the GTI for the DSG...

Worlds better than any automatic mini.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
MBS627
1st Gear
I have a 2011 manual but drove my wife's 2012 MCS auto at the dragon back in April and had no issues with it. It's probably one of the best slushboxes I've driven. If I had to ditch my car and drive hers all the time I don't think I'd be too upset and this is coming from a die hard manual guy.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Love my AT Mini. I have driven manual and appreciate how much fun they are. That being said, if I want close to that feeling again I just slap her in Manual mode and shift away, minus the clutch. I have also added a couple awesome mods that totally help with the throttle response, the DDMWorks CAI, and the NM Torque Arm bushings. Both of these great additions helped tremendously on The Dragon last week!!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
theging
3rd Gear
I would get the manual, but then again i did get the manual. Go with the transmission you like the best, i love manuals thus i got a manual. Wouldnt even consider an auto.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
sbpwjm
2nd Gear
We have an '06 MCSa - my wife never learned how to drive a manual and it is primarily her car.

I drive it often and when I do I use the paddles - which work fine. I have driven a newer model (loaner) and I think the paddles have gotten quicker w/ reduced shift times.

A few folks have mentioned the VW DSG, which I have also driven and I think the DSG is better. If you are shopping a Mini you should at least drive the GTI DSG for comparison.

I've only driven an MCS with a manual once and it was back in '06 when we were looking at our first car. I can't really compare auto vs. manual but all the normal arguments likely apply.

The only other "flappy paddle" car I've driven is an '04 Ferrari Challenge Stradale... and needless to say out of the three the CS is the best!!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Buckethead
1st Gear
FYI, only the Cooper S w/auto trans has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, the base Mini automatic doesn't.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Another +1 on the auto. Lots of fun and not as much work in heavy traffic. The steptronic is awesome with either the shifter or the paddle.
I tend to use the shifter more so 'cause it's more like shifting a manual less the clutch.
I've also lowered my car a tad, added a heavier rear sway bar, and front upper strut mount brace, and the super torque arm mount insert. All gives way to super handling.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
Do the AT Cooper S and AT base Cooper use the same Aisin transmission, paddles aside?

I'm still undecided on base versus 'S' model Cooper hardtop, and really think the base model would be fine for my needs and a ton of fun, with less maint costs over time.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
REHATLGA
1st Gear
Have a base Cooper with the automatic. The automatic is pretty darn good. Don't have the paddle shift *****, but I don't think I would use them much. My opinion is that the display should show you what gear you are in when you use the paddles. The MCS that I test drove did not.

I put it in sport mode when I want to have more fun. Sport mode increases the fun factor by a great deal. It keeps the revs up and the driver smiling.

I have driven an Audi TT with the DSG. The DSG is pretty slick. It shifts both up and down are quick and smooth. The DSG is better than the Aisin transmission on the Cooper, but the Steptronic is as good as most others.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I believe the Aisin is in both. My MCS when using the paddles does display the gear on the tach.
The reg. Cooper would be less cost and less in operating cost but I'm sure it'd be just as much fun. Just a little less zip.
Test drive both and that'd probably answer most of your questions.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over 4yrs. and 45,000+mi. and I wouldn't have built Molly any other way...I've been playing with the Steptronic Transmission more and more...this week alone I've been driving almost exclusively in +/- mode, not having to push the Sport Mode Button, and not shifting, just letting the car do it all, yes it's geared a bit high, but I've found that it is a lot smoother than when in Sport Mode.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
MBS627
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Buckethead
FYI, only the Cooper S w/auto trans has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, the base Mini automatic doesn't.
And as a further FYI, 2012s don't have paddles at all.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
Do the AT Cooper S and AT base Cooper use the same Aisin transmission, paddles aside?

I'm still undecided on base versus 'S' model Cooper hardtop, and really think the base model would be fine for my needs and a ton of fun, with less maint costs over time.
I originally wanted a manual, but after driving them all (MCSm, MCSa, MCm & MCa) I was very impressed by the automatics multiple functionality (normal auto, sport mode auto, sport mode manual auto) and flawless operation. I owned a 2002 Porsche Boxster S with tiptronic auto and like the 2012 MINI auto much better, although I hear wonderfull things about the "new" Porsche PDK:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...electedVariant

After all was said and done I ended up with a MCa. The S models clearly had more power, but I'm not a fan of turbos (I do like superchargers) and the maintenance/problem history of the S was a reliability concern for "me" as a DD. On both models the auto was smooth and responsive. The manual on the MCS felt great, although too "light" for me (nothing like my old 83 BMW 6 series manual or 87 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet manual). For some reason the manual on the MC was clicky and noisy. I have no reason why they felt different?

When it comes down to it, it's really a very personal choice and includes how you plan to use your car, as well as, factors such as who else will be driving it, etc... The important thing for you with regard to the auto is, IT IS A GOOD SOLID ONE IN THE WORLD OF AUTOMATICS, so don't worry about the quality issue like the old first generation Mini CVT.

PS: After deciding on the MC and auto for my needs, I "thought" I would never want the Bluetooth (BT) or the arm rest (I knew I didn't want run flats and planned to upgrade with aftermarket wheels and tires, so the base model WITH cheater spare fit my bill). The sales rep pointed out that BT was a MUST HAVE option for resale appeal (forget adding it later). I got lucky in that they had the exact color combination I wanted come in, but it had BT and the arm rest. They offered it to me at a $1,500 discount, so I grabbed it. Now after the fact, I wouldn't be without the BT or the arm rest! The sales rep proved to be correct in it's appeal. They don't order any lot cars without BT, period.

My personal experience 2-Cents. Hope it helps...

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-11-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MBS627
And as a further FYI, 2012s don't have paddles at all.
2012 MCS automatics do come with paddle shifters unless you opt for the JCW appearance package, which replaces the paddled steering wheel with the red-stitched JCW wheel. Otherwise, the paddles are standard.

I have a 2012 MCS with JCW tuning and suspension, and I totally love the automatic tranny! I thought I'd miss the paddles, but so far I haven't at all.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
MBS627
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
2012 MCS automatics do come with paddle shifters unless you opt for the JCW appearance package, which replaces the paddled steering wheel with the red-stitched JCW wheel. Otherwise, the paddles are standard.

I have a 2012 MCS with JCW tuning and suspension, and I totally love the automatic tranny! I thought I'd miss the paddles, but so far I haven't at all.

My wife's was an early build and certainly doesn't have paddles or a JCW appearance pack.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
My friend, I hate to say, but it definitely should. I recall someone else here last fall had the same problem and the dealer corrected the mistake. I would contact your dealer asap!

My dealer in Plano TX first started taking orders for '12s the week of June 20-24, 2011. They had just received their paperwork outlining the new packages and options, and it clearly stated that it does include paddles except in the case of a car with the JCW appearance package since it gets a totally different steering wheel. (I still have the paperwork, PM me if you want a copy).

Also, if you build an S on the configurator and select automatic transmission, it displays this:
(I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I want you to get what you paid for!)

Last edited by Subzero; 05-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
MBS627
1st Gear
My friend, I hate to say, but it definitely should. I recall someone else here last fall had the same problem and the dealer corrected the mistake. I would contact your dealer asap!

My dealer in Plano TX first started taking orders for '12s the week of June 20-24, 2011. They had just received their paperwork outlining the new packages and options, and it clearly stated that it does include paddles except in the case of a car with the JCW appearance package since it gets a totally different steering wheel. (I still have the paperwork, PM me if you want a copy).

Also, if you build an S on the configurator and select automatic transmission, it displays this:

Interesting. It's my wife's car and she wouldn't use it anyway, so no biggie. When I drive it I use the stick anyway since I normally drive manual. I'd love to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had an 09 Justa automatic and traded it for an 08 MCSa. When I want to shift manually, I prefer the floor shifter. To me, the paddles are inconvienient when making tight turns. Just personal preference. I do use the paddles to force a shift into 6th to try and save fuel (my car shifts into 6th at 53 mph, I spend several miles on the way to work at 48 mph). FYI, I was getting 38 mpg in the Justa, and now get 30 in the MCS.

The sport button keeps the revs up (shifts about 3000 rpm min), and improves throttle response. Normally, I drive in non-sport mode.

Like stated above, drive the cars, including the VW. There is something special about a MINI, but I cannot comment about a GTI. See what you like.

Mike

Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 AM
amancuso
5th Gear

On a Justa, Automatic Transmission does not come with paddle shifters unless you option Sport Package.

Quick Reply: R56 How's the Mini's AT?