R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anybody actually *like* run flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody actually *like* run flat tires?

I don't own a Mini (yet). Still in the research phase, but love sharp-handling cars, so the Mini is on the short list.

I'm wary of the RF tires though, since it seems like I've read nothing but negative things about their harsh ride, inability to be repaired, and expensive replacement costs.

So, does anybody stick with run flats on their Mini, or is it almost a given that people toss 'em and spend the money for traditional tires before too long?

And if you don't run RF's, and have a puncture, then what? I know sometimes you can make it to the tire shop, but otherwise are you calling Mini roadside assistance, or AAA, etc? And what do these guys do, repair your flat on the spot, or sell you a tire?

Final question - are any Minis still available from the factory with non RF's? Isn't the base MC hardtop with 15" wheels still running regular rubber?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
All of these questions have been answer many many times here in the forums. Please use the search function or do a google search of the site.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I like runflats for two reasons:

One, I prefer the ride. I have had two sets of standard tires for my car (granted one was snows - probably doesn't count). I have a high mileage gen 1 with the basic "sport suspension" (not sport suspension plus). The runflats give me more road feel, which I like. Yeah, I can see how some might consider it "harsh," but if I wanted the smoothest ride, I'd be in a full frame, like a Crown Vic.

Two, I like the price. What? I mean I like the price on the barely used market, when someone with a new car changes over to standard. I bought my last set for $150 / four.

But (and this was my first set) I dislike the extra noise. It's similar to my pickup with 31"s.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
gerrygug
1st Gear
Judging from the number of them for sale on Craigslist, I would say No.

My impression is that they are as hard as rocks, with about the same handling ability.

BMW must fit them only to raise their corporate fuel economy numbers.
No jack, no spare, hard tire with reduced rolling resistance ='s better fuel economy.

You would think that a car marketed as sporty should not be saddled with such poor tires.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
iamjimmyg
Neutral
I got suckered!

Just got my new Mini S hardtop not 10 days old. At the time of signing, they hit with a $1599.00 dollar charge for tire insurance. They said it was a good deal, and that I had to do it at the time of signing or BMW would not agree to it. Spoke with the finance guy yesterday and he said, if I wanted to get out of the deal it would not be a problem. So now what do I do?
I could drive it, and wait for the first issue and then go for all four tires. Change over to non run flats. Or, do it it now and avoid the inevitable horror story with run flats you hear. Many people who have the insurance tell you, that it has already paid for itself in sidewall bubbles and of course nails.
Then of course you hear that they paid $900 dollars for there policy. So I need to make a decision! Any suggestions? Thanks Jimmyg

Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
gerrygug
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iamjimmyg
Just got my new Mini S hardtop not 10 days old. At the time of signing, they hit with a $1599.00 dollar charge for tire insurance. They said it was a good deal, and that I had to do it at the time of signing or BMW would not agree to it. Spoke with the finance guy yesterday and he said, if I wanted to get out of the deal it would not be a problem. So now what do I do?
I could drive it, and wait for the first issue and then go for all four tires. Change over to non run flats. Or, do it it now and avoid the inevitable horror story with run flats you hear. Many people who have the insurance tell you, that it has already paid for itself in sidewall bubbles and of course nails.
Then of course you hear that they paid $900 dollars for there policy. So I need to make a decision! Any suggestions? Thanks Jimmyg
Finance guys make a living selling insurance. Life insurance can be a good deal under some circumstances, but tire insurance, especially for run flats is a good deal only for the dealer and the finance guy.

You can buy new run flat takeoffs all day long on Craigslist for 50% off Tire Rack prices. If you like run flats, you can buy five sets of them for the price of the insurance.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Bhavin Userofreality
1st Gear
I have the tire protection via Bmw/Mini, and its great... i have already paid for it with 5 tires and a rim...
definitely makes the RF's doable for me...

just go driving around new neighborhoods where houses are being built to get your moneys worth.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
DogT
2nd Gear
My wife likes the run flats. Don't know why, I don't. Thanks for the tips on craig's list, next time I'm looking there. BTW, I've fixed run flats with the standard manual plug from the outside and it worked. I didn't know you couldn't fix them, so I guess I got ripped off.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
gerrygug
1st Gear
Run flats are decent everyday tires. They will give good performance for the everyday driver and the convenience of not having to stop in some dangerous location to change a tire.

I bought my Mini as as replacement for a Porsche Boxster. As such, I find the run flats and heavy stock wheels to be one of the biggest detractors to the Mini as a sports hardtop.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I'm going to put my Run Flat on Craig's list too.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The 15s are definitely available with non-RF tires. The car also comes with a spare tire when you get that option.

And that's what I have, base 15s with non-RF tires and a spare.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
The 15s are definitely available with non-RF tires. The car also comes with a spare tire when you get that option.

And that's what I have, base 15s with non-RF tires and a spare.
Good to know. But 15's aren't available on the 'S' model, correct? I haven't decided between base and S model, and I think the base Cooper would be great for my needs. First and foremost, I'm looking for a commuter. Round trip is only 25 miles, and I only drive about 10k miles/yr.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have the run flats and I like them, I don't find the ride harsh at all!

That said, when I wear them out, I'll replace them with conventional tires. For the price of new run flats, I can get a set of new wheels and regular tires.

Dave

Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
Good to know. But 15's aren't available on the 'S' model, correct? I haven't decided between base and S model, and I think the base Cooper would be great for my needs. First and foremost, I'm looking for a commuter. Round trip is only 25 miles, and I only drive about 10k miles/yr.
15" won't fit over R56 S brakes.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't mind the ride on RFs even with 18s and I really like the peace of mind of not worrying about a flat out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
This is the third week with my MCS Clubman and I'm finally able to get the tire pressure tuned to the right feel. The ride is much better now then when I got the car from the dealer. They loaded with 38 psi and the ride was hard and not much traction.

Much better now but the road noise is still there but handling is very crisp as I can feel the response from the tires.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the sharp turn-in response due to the hard sidewalls. Otherwise I don't like them.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
berto
3rd Gear
I do not understand what all the fuss is regarding the run flats. I have them and have no issue at all with the ride or handling. Of course I am also used to either 40 year old British Sports cars or my 4-Runner but like I said, they seem fine to me.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
greasypeanut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
I like the sharp turn-in response due to the hard sidewalls. Otherwise I don't like them.
I like this too which is why I'm wary of changing to normal tires. Is it just response that's different?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
I bought some Pirelli p-zero 220 tread wear run flats off of tire rack a few weeks ago since they were on sale (cheaper than the p-zero nero 220 tw I had on before) so I got them. I honestly can't tell a difference on the street. it's exactly the same tire otherwise. They don't seem any louder or seem any worse going around corners. I'll use the old crappy 220 neros I had on before for track use and get a 180 compound after those are shot so I can use the runflats strickly for the street. i like 'em.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
Non RF's are also available in 16" on non S models. My car was originally equipped with black wheels and the dealer swapped out with another car for silver during the 6-7 months they had it. I told them when I bought the car I wanted the black wheels shown on their website and they (unknown to me) pulled them off of a non-S. I noticed later that they were not RF and I didn't mention it because I didn't want RF anyway. I just proved it to myself today when I got a puncture fixed for $10.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
Anybody actually *liuke* run flat tires?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM
kayakxb
1st Gear
They are fine with me, no problems. I may get non run-flats when it's time for new tires, but until then they are fine.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by arsci
I bought some Pirelli p-zero 220 tread wear run flats off of tire rack a few weeks ago since they were on sale (cheaper than the p-zero nero 220 tw I had on before) so I got them. I honestly can't tell a difference on the street. it's exactly the same tire otherwise. They don't seem any louder or seem any worse going around corners. I'll use the old crappy 220 neros I had on before for track use and get a 180 compound after those are shot so I can use the runflats strickly for the street. i like 'em.
The tires you have are on my wife's S and they ride substantially better and have much less road noise compared to the Conti's on my JCW which are much noisier on some surfaces comparably, I will be changing them for Michilin Super Sports very soon.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a lot of folks don't like the run flats simply because popular opinion seems to be to not like them. There are many, many, posts about folks taking them off their cars the day of purchase, without having driven Run Flats before.

I don't like or dislike them. I have Hankook V-12's ( Non RF) on for the summer, and Dunlop run flats for the winter on my wife's Mini.
If you elect to run the run flats you can cut the cost significantly if you purchase them off the Forum here, or CL when they appear, and not when you need them. I have 2 complete sets in my garage loft, not counting the winter run flats. One set was practically given to me.
You'd surprised at how cheaply complete wheel/tire packages are sold for.

Does it seem like owning a Mini turns a person into a tire/wheel collector.? I also have three sets of wheels . I've never done this with another vehicle in my life.

Quick Reply: R56 Anybody actually *like* run flat tires?