R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Got my first parking lot boo-boo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my first parking lot boo-boo's

Had a busy day today, went to the county seat for an internship interview which took all of a half hour. Got home a little later, was walking away from my car and noticed how the sunlight was reflecting right off a nice new crease in my passenger door. My heart sank! I've had my car for about a year and a half now-there was not a single visible dent/ding/crease on any of the body panels! I walked back over to confirm that it was in fact a crease and not my imagination. The paint mark was there to prove it. I took a side view to check out how bad it was and I saw another minor crease not far from the first one! I'm so annoyed-I've worked so hard to be able to have this car, it outrages me that someone could be so careless and inconsiderate. I would have taken pictures, but by the time I had a chance, it was dark outside. Hopefully karma will promptly find it's way and take revenge on something that person loves.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I park far far away

Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by masternut
I park far far away
Ha! Well played my friend

Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Laserjock
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about the damage. I too park as far away as possible and my family/friends think it funny. I've been known to leave a parking lot because of poor parking. One reason why I ride my motorcycle 98% of the time. I'm lucky, still ding free.

=Laserjock=

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Got one ding and danged if I didn't have the chance to prevent it by moving away from a nasty, filthy van that had parked next to me. Went out to get something and looked to make sure they hadn't but a few hours later when I came back the van was gone but they'd left their low life signature.

Imagine what a much nicer place this world would be to live in if it weren't for people. Those folks who hadn't made friends with a dog would get terrably lonesome.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Jacob Fout
Neutral
same thing happened to me, only instead of my passenger door it was my rear bumper cracked straight up the middle : (

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
Had a busy day today, went to the county seat for an internship interview which took all of a half hour. Got home a little later, was walking away from my car and noticed how the sunlight was reflecting right off a nice new crease in my passenger door. My heart sank! I've had my car for about a year and a half now-there was not a single visible dent/ding/crease on any of the body panels! I walked back over to confirm that it was in fact a crease and not my imagination. The paint mark was there to prove it. I took a side view to check out how bad it was and I saw another minor crease not far from the first one! I'm so annoyed-I've worked so hard to be able to have this car, it outrages me that someone could be so careless and inconsiderate. I would have taken pictures, but by the time I had a chance, it was dark outside. Hopefully karma will promptly find it's way and take revenge on something that person loves.
Sorry to hear about this. It was bound to happen sooner or later. A paintless dent removal tech should be able to make it look like new again. Hopefully your paint isn't too bad. If it makes you feel any better, I got a whole quarter panel keyed two years ago and it was so deep I had to get the whole thing resprayed. It was viscous. I felt the same way you did - violated, shocked, and infuriated. I was at an outdoor antique flea market with my wife in the boonies and it was probably some low-life import hater driving a 1988 Ford F-150 miraculously held together by rust. I'm with you on thoughts about Karma. The universe has a way with dealing with people like that. When I got the car back from the paint shop it was better than new. Oh what a glorious day

But anyways, seriously consider parking further away from people. Most people who aren't car nuts generally couldn't give a rats 8ss about others property.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Funny thing is that I usually do take the time to seek out a safe spot. I had done so that day as well. There was no one on either side of me as I put the shifter into park. As I was getting out of my car, a Mercury Mountaineer pulled up on my right side. It had to have been him. I was at my college campus later in the day, but no one had parked to the right of me, was only there for 45 minutes or so. Anyways, spent ~6 hours today washing/detailing it. Got the paint mark out, but the crease remains Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lesson to be learned..."DON'T TRUST ANYONE NEAR YOUR CAR."

Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely check out a paintless dent repair guy.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear this. Mine was hit by a rock thrown from the lawnmower today. At least I think that is what must have happened. In any case I feel your pain. There is a chip int he paint and a dent where it hit.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM
kayakxb
1st Gear
Sorry to hear about your dents. Definitely look for a good painless dent repair tech. They can work wonders. Also, definitely park far, far away as previously stated. It works. I park in the next lot over if necessary. Park at the high point in parking lots where the store(s) have carts so the carts can't roll downhill towards your car. I have many more parking "rules", my wife thinks I am crazy, but I have no dents. (She is right, I am crazy.)

Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kayakxb
Sorry to hear about your dents. Definitely look for a good painless dent repair tech. They can work wonders. Also, definitely park far, far away as previously stated. It works. I park in the next lot over if necessary. Park at the high point in parking lots where the store(s) have carts so the carts can't roll downhill towards your car. I have many more parking "rules", my wife thinks I am crazy, but I have no dents. (She is right, I am crazy.)
I too park in the high spots away from rolling shopping carts.