R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where do you keep your Spare tire for your MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012 | 10:29 AM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
Slime and other temporary flat repairs will sometimes get you to a destination, but I don't like contaminating the inside of the tire/rim. I have seen corrosion on rim internals from fix a flat and man oh man I hate to clean that gunk out of a tire and rim as I do all my tire changing and maintenance myself. I guess it works for an emergency I just don't like the extra work later.

Old 06-06-2012 | 01:16 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by elsinorej
Slime and other temporary flat repairs will sometimes get you to a destination, but I don't like contaminating the inside of the tire/rim. I have seen corrosion on rim internals from fix a flat and man oh man I hate to clean that gunk out of a tire and rim as I do all my tire changing and maintenance myself. I guess it works for an emergency I just don't like the extra work later.
Slime and Fix-a-Flat are two different animals. Slime washes out with water. I also carry the Slime air pump.

Old 06-06-2012 | 02:55 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by dale
I got my mini [space saver] spare from Detroit Tuned and a black fabric bag...
Dale
+1 , although mine sits nicely in the footwell behind the passenger-side seat back (not an issue, since max occupancy has been driver+one since delivery). It is so unobtrusive in that spot, I often forget it's there.

Old 06-06-2012 | 08:38 PM
mikeyb74
|
6th Gear
Do any of you have the MINI Tire Mobility kit?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-MINI-C.../dp/B006WB1OF6

What about Tyre Guardian?

http://www.tyreguardian.us/

Old 06-07-2012 | 08:07 AM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=MCS Fever;3525791]Slime and Fix-a-Flat are two different animals. Slime washes out with water. I also carry the Slime air pump.

Yes from my experience with ATVs and motorcycles Slime is non corrosive but Fix a Flat is some nasty stuff. From my experience Slime was more widely used as a preventative measure for off road vehicles. For me it comes down to being lazy I guess. If I can just break down a tire to install a patch/plug and not have to clean it out I'm way happier. My days as a Motorcycle service tech made me hate all types of temp tire repairs. That gunk gets all over your tire changing machine when you brake down a tire. Sometimes you simply have no choice and are forced to use it I totally understand.

Old 06-07-2012 | 08:49 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
[QUOTE=elsinorej;3526341]
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Slime and Fix-a-Flat are two different animals. Slime washes out with water. I also carry the Slime air pump.

Yes from my experience with ATVs and motorcycles Slime is non corrosive but Fix a Flat is some nasty stuff. From my experience Slime was more widely used as a preventative measure for off road vehicles. For me it comes down to being lazy I guess. If I can just break down a tire to install a patch/plug and not have to clean it out I'm way happier. My days as a Motorcycle service tech made me hate all types of temp tire repairs. That gunk gets all over your tire changing machine when you brake down a tire. Sometimes you simply have no choice and are forced to use it I totally understand.
+1 on not wanting sticky crap in your wheels. I change my own tires too and don't like messy stuff in my wheels. Slime makes your hands and tools sticky so you need to use gloves (and they get sticky too) when removing slimed tires. Foams and other temporary injected solutions can unbalance tires. Fix-a-flat is terrible and I think it would mess up the TPS. Slime is not as bad but I am not a fan and don't like the mess. Tire slime is a temporary fix and is not to be used as a long term solution however, many people don't properly repair a tire after using Slime. Using Slime can complicate a proper patch/ plug repair and some shops will not want to work on that tire and insist that you purchase a new tire (or two). A link to Slime's FAQ page-->http://www.slime.com/category/faqs/

Another issue with sticky stuff in or on your wheels is that sometimes (I have seen this happen on 2 sets of wheels) the bead will not seal air because of glue residue on the inside of the wheel bead interface surface. When replacing tires dirt or tire flash can stick to the "sticky stuff" on the wheel and prevent an air seal. You need to clean that surface to prevent slow air leaks on your replacement tire.

Slime won't fix a bent wheel as far as I know. Driving on a bent wheel for some distance can do damage to wheel bearings but you may have damaged it when you bent the wheel too. If you have short side walls you are more likely to bend your wheels and or gap the bead resulting in an air leak. One advantage to keeping your old wheels and run-flats in your garage (assuming you changed everything to aftermarket) is that you have a spare set of tires and wheels to use if you bend a wheel and need to source a new one.

The tires's sidewall is a structural part of the tire. If you have sidewall damage, the tire should be replaced with a new tire. Any attempt to repair a sidewall will substantially weaken the tire. Short term roadside repairs may work great but may not work at all depending on the tire damage.

About just calling for tow service.... If you have a flat with no air pressure in the tire and you find it lets say in the morning you are better off replacing it with a spare over towing it unless they use a dolly. You never want to roll on a flat tire. The tire will get destroyed.

Each option has disadvantages.
1) Run flats don't have the best driving experience and make diving a Mini less fun.
2) Fix-a-flat gives you trunk space but destroys your wheel and makes a mess.
3) Slime gives you trunk space but is messy when changing tires. It won't save you in all cases.
4) A mini space saver spare is a great option for the car but not for your passenger compartment. It adds weight too.
5) Just call a tow service is a crap shoot that can cause more damage to your car depending on the tow truck and driver. You still need to fix the tire to get back on the road. You can be sitting for a few hours just waiting for the truck.
6) A full size spare takes up more space but is great for most problems.
7) A plug kit can help if you get a nail in your tire but most roadside repairs still require a proper repair after. Plugs will not help fix sidewall damage.

Where will you be when you get your next flat tire?

Last edited by OceanMini2; 06-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2012 | 05:58 PM
superduperstud
Neutral
awesome fab job. kudos

Old 06-07-2012 | 11:12 PM
onionjello
1st Gear
Old 06-08-2012 | 10:53 AM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by superduperstud
awesome fab job. kudos
If you're referring to my handy work thank you. I have access to a lathe, mill and other machinist tools and love fabricating things. It took a few hours but only like $75 in materials.
Justin