R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Standard suspension vs sport suspension vs JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard suspension vs sport suspension vs JCW

I am deciding on the options for a 2013 MC hardtop and am not sure about which suspension to go with. Has anyone driven in cars to comapre the feel of standard suspension vs sport suspension vs JCW.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solid14th
I am deciding on the options for a 2013 MC hardtop and am not sure about which suspension to go with. Has anyone driven in cars to comapre the feel of standard suspension vs sport suspension vs JCW.
JCW suspension lowers the car just over 1/2" and adds an extra 0.5mm thick front sway and a 0.55mm thicker rear sway bar over the Sport+ suspension. The ride height it provides is perfect, IMO.

I can't really comment on stock JCW ride because I have the JCW springs over double adjustable Konis and I have a huge rear sway bar. My car's ride is no worse than the stock Sport+ with that setup.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input. This is a tough decision.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
My 2009 MCS R56 came with the Sport Suspension, which worked pretty well. However, it as not exactly how I wanted it. I, therefore, had it modified to suit my personal taste. I upgrade the sway bar to a 22mm NM Engineering Adjustable Sway Bar and NM Engineering Adjustable Sway bar links. The springs were swapped out with H&R Sport Springs (1.4" drop).I also installed Helix lower control arms. The MINI now hugs the curves the way I like.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I have a 2009 JCW with the sport suspension (not the JCW suspension) and I think the ride is pretty damn firm as it is. It's my daily driver and I don't think I could accept an even firmer ride with the roads around here.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Everything I've read says that the "sport" suspension is too stiff. I'd prefer JCW, or create something on my own with Koni or Bilstein.

- drew

Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
Everything I've read says that the "sport" suspension is too stiff. I'd prefer JCW, or create something on my own with Koni or Bilstein.

- drew
Wow, glad I'm asking because this is opposite what I thought.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
MiniMin... Good info, thanks for posting!

Perihelion.... I like the suspension in my stock 06 MC, but wouldn't mind slightly better handling, just not too stiff. I spend 2 hours a day in my car.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My Justa has the regular "sport" suspension. The ride is firm, the chassis movements well-controlled, and it sticks quite nicely in the corners. If the JCW is much firmer than the regular sport suspension, I think it would be too much for me.

On the Justa, at least, the JCW suspension is dealer-installed, which just about doubles its quoted cost. The $500 for sport suspension versus about $3000 for the JCW was another factor in my decision. As were doubts (at the time) that the JCW suspension was allowed in the "stock" autocross classes, as it is not factory-installed.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Had an '07 S with the stock S suspension. Now have a 2012 S with the sport suspension. Handling is definately better with the support suspension vs the stock S. The car corners flatter and rotates better. Much less drama overall. On the down side - it is stiffer. I have taken to using just my 16" wheels with AS tires for ride comfort. A 3 hour ride is perfectly fine in the car. Bottom line - not too stiff with this setup. With 17" wheels it is much less comfortable whereas on the '07 the 17" wheels were just fine. The sport suspension is for people who want "a bit better handling".

FWIW - the 2012 with the sport suspension (stock alignment settings and with no mods except 17" - 7", 38 ET wheels w/ Dunlop Z1 Star Spec tires) is much better for autocross than the '07 was with a 20mm RSB and camber plates (17" - 7", 42 ET wheels w/Yokohama AD08s).

Also, as for the optional JCW suspension (not all JCWs have this; the base suspension in a JCW is the S suspension), I have not tried it but have to believe it is harsher riding as it has stiffer springs, swaybars and shocks.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
I'd just get the stock suspension and if your really concerned about better suspension buy aftermarket stuff

Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Slaves to Felines....that is my thinking as well. The hubby thinks the JCW suspension is a good idea. The silly man thinks I should spend money on components that will make the car handle better instead of sport stripes and chrome exhaust .

Eddie... That's exactly the type of comparison I am interested in, thanks a bunch!

Hyland....I have thought about it but if I don't spend the money up front I will be kesss inclined to do so when I have the car payments. I already have guilt associated with this purchase .

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The Sport suspension is a $500 option installed at the factory. You can't buy that quality in aftermarket parts for that amount of money. Plus it (springs, shocks and sway bars) is design to work together by BMW which you don't get by mixing and matching parts. I've been there, done that and it didn't come close to matching the factory setup. Also, you can't even come close to being able to put in the stiffer front sway bar for that money which, IMO, is necessary to flatten the car in corners. Now most will say that a stiffer front sway bar is bad (worsens the understeer). However matched with the stiffer rear bar it keeps the car from diving on to the front bumper in corners by balancing the stiffer rear bar while still allowing an improvement in rotation (reduced understeer).

Last edited by Eddie07S; 06-19-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The Sport suspension is a $500 option installed at the factory. You can't buy that quality in aftermarket parts for that amount of money. Plus it (springs, shocks and sway bars) is design to work together by BMW which you don't get by mixing and matching parts. I've been there, done that and it didn't come close to matching the factory setup. Also, you can't even come close to being able to put in the stiffer front sway bar for that money which, IMO, is necessary to flatten the car in corners. Now most will say that a stiffer front sway bar is bad (worsens the understeer). However matched with the stiffer rear bar it keeps the car from diving on to the front bumper in corners by balancing the stiffer rear bar while still allowing an improvement in rotation (reduced understeer).
My MA told me the sport suspension still has the standard sway bar and struts but the shocks are stiffer for a more rigid ride.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
versus about $3000 for the JCW was another factor in my decision.
Yikes, were you actually quoted that? Or are you just using extreme hyperbole for dramatic effect? It should be well under $2000 out the door at the high end. (not cheap, but not overquoted by 50%)

Also, I have the JCW suspension on runflats. While it's firm, no doubt, it would make Letterman's "Top ten overblown myths about your MINI".

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Even the standard suspension is still very stiff. I would get it along with 17's and change it out later if it isn't stiff enough.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solid14th
My MA told me the sport suspension still has the standard sway bar and struts but the shocks are stiffer for a more rigid ride.
Your MA is incorrect.

Versus the Standard suspension, the Sport suspension option includes stiffer springs, front swaybar that is 23.5mm (+1mm), rear swaybar that is 18mm (also +1mm), and different Sport specific shock valving. IIRC, the Sport suspension sits about 10mm lower than Standard as well.

Verus the Sport suspension, if you opt for the JCW suspension, you get even stiffer springs that lower the car about 1/2", a still larger front swaybar that is 24mm (+0.5mm), still larger rear swaybar that is 18.55mm (+0.55mm), different rubber spring seats front and rear and top and bottom, different front bump stops, and different JCW specific shock valving.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
I respect BMW and what they've put into the car, but the shocks they put on MINIs are not something they should be proud of. OEM and sport are both rubbish IMO. Stiff, yes, but stiff in the wrong places and harsh. Firm does not need to be harsh. My R53 with Koni Yellows rides much better than stock and handles better.

The price for the 500 dollar Sports suspension is tempting, but the shocks just suck. If I purchased that I'd sell the shocks and get Koni Yellows.

I've not ridden in a JCW but I can't imagine it's worse than the sports suspension...even with stiffer springs a better shock will make a huge difference in ride quality. But the cost is ridiculous.

- andrew

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
mini_stig
2nd Gear
I respect BMW and what they've put into the car, but the shocks they put on MINIs are not something they should be proud of. OEM and sport are both rubbish IMO. Stiff, yes, but stiff in the wrong places and harsh. Firm does not need to be harsh. My R53 with Koni Yellows rides much better than stock and handles better.

The price for the 500 dollar Sports suspension is tempting, but the shocks just suck. If I purchased that I'd sell the shocks and get Koni Yellows.

I've not ridden in a JCW but I can't imagine it's worse than the sports suspension...even with stiffer springs a better shock will make a huge difference in ride quality. But the cost is ridiculous.

- andrew
do both the sports suspension and JCW suspension use the OEM shocks? in the past, i've heard that performance springs require new shocks since the OEM shocks can't support the new strain. i am new to mini... not sure if this is true

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
No, those are specially designed shocks from Mini, but the Sports ones just aren't very good. I don't know about JCW, but I've yet to feel a good shock from Mini so I'm skeptical.

Springs don't always require new shocks for every car, but in the Mini's case, the OEM shocks are just junk anyway.

- Andrew

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I liked the ride of the sport suspension but the ride height is way too high and every once in awhile it was too rough. I upgraded to Koni Yellows, NM Springs, and now have a Hotchkis rear sway bar. The ride is a lot better unless you consider the fact that it is a little rougher when you tighten up the suspension. If you have intention of modding the suspension go with the reg suspension and bypass the others. If you just want something better but not fancy go with the sport and if you want something already on the car so you don't have to worry about and is covered under warranty then get the JCW.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
papafoxtrot
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Owner of stock and sport suspension

I owned a 2007 MCS with the sport suspension. I traded it in for a 2011MCS with the stock suspension. I am very regretful I didn't add it on my 2011. Many people say the sport suspension wasn't a big difference over stock, but they were wrong. It was totally worth the $500 considering you also continue to have the warranty. I hear the JCW is great but super expensive in my opinion. The only negative is don't expect to recoup any of that $500 at trade in but it is still worth it.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
No, those are specially designed shocks from Mini, but the Sports ones just aren't very good. I don't know about JCW, but I've yet to feel a good shock from Mini so I'm skeptical.

Springs don't always require new shocks for every car, but in the Mini's case, the OEM shocks are just junk anyway.

- Andrew
While the Mini shocks may not be very good, the Koni yellows are about $220 ea; $880 for the set not including shipping. That still doesn't get you the springs, sway bars or installation. About $1400+ with the rest of the parts and installation (not including the front sway bar) makes the $500 for the sports suspension look pretty good.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Your MA is incorrect.

Versus the Standard suspension, the Sport suspension option includes stiffer springs, front swaybar that is 23.5mm (+1mm), rear swaybar that is 18mm (also +1mm), and different Sport specific shock valving. IIRC, the Sport suspension sits about 10mm lower than Standard as well.

Verus the Sport suspension, if you opt for the JCW suspension, you get even stiffer springs that lower the car about 1/2", a still larger front swaybar that is 24mm (+0.5mm), still larger rear swaybar that is 18.55mm (+0.55mm), different rubber spring seats front and rear and top and bottom, different front bump stops, and different JCW specific shock valving.

Wow, ok, my info was way off. Thank you very much!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
I liked the ride of the sport suspension but the ride height is way too high and every once in awhile it was too rough. I upgraded to Koni Yellows, NM Springs, and now have a Hotchkis rear sway bar. The ride is a lot better unless you consider the fact that it is a little rougher when you tighten up the suspension. If you have intention of modding the suspension go with the reg suspension and bypass the others. If you just want something better but not fancy go with the sport and if you want something already on the car so you don't have to worry about and is covered under warranty then get the JCW.

I really have no intention to mod the car. I am leaning toward the JCW, even with the high price tag. My Mini dealer has a JCW coupe so I might drive that just so I have some type of comparison to my stock '06 MC and the stock '12 MCS I have driven.

Quick Reply: R56 Standard suspension vs sport suspension vs JCW