R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 N18 vs 2012 Ni8

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 07:42 PM
dpcompt
|
5th Gear
2011 N18 vs 2012 Ni8

In the engine compartment, were there any changes in the N18 engine in the 2012 models? FYI, I have no complaints regarding my '12 S and have not had to take my car to the dealer for anything other than service. I am just curious if BMW has made any changes.

Old 06-25-2012 | 06:50 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
If I recall, there hasn't been any changes to the N18 engine.
Check MotoringFile.com for complete details.

- Erik

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:17 PM
dpcompt
|
5th Gear
n18

Originally Posted by bluefox280

- Erik
Thanks for your reply. My previous car was an Audi A4 '09, and though I didn't have any problems, other owners experienced the sludge build up. Audi has made some changes to fight the problem. I was just wondering whether or not if BMW is working on this problem.

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:46 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
Audi has made some changes to fight the problem. I was just wondering whether or not if BMW is working on this problem.
Sludging? That's due to improper maintenance and allowing engine oil to be used for longer than it should be.
In reality, the MINI oil should be changed in less than 7500 miles. Some owner go more miles, and some go less miles.
But it is a fact that those who've changed their oil more frequently have had less vacuum pump failures, the timing tensioner failures, and turbo oil feed line clogging issues.

- Erik

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:14 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs

- Erik
+1

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:17 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
on march 01, 2012 there was a software change made

my all4, built first week of march has 9,000 mile oil change interval in th OBC

also a fix to a stumble on accelleration issue

may be others too

scott

Old 06-25-2012 | 09:21 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Sludging? That's due to improper maintenance and allowing engine oil to be used for longer than it should be.
In reality, the MINI oil should be changed in less than 7500 miles. Some owner go more miles, and some go less miles.
But it is a fact that those who've changed their oil more frequently have had less vacuum pump failures, the timing tensioner failures, and turbo oil feed line clogging issues.

- Erik
Erik-
Is there any documentation that it is a fact that those who change their oil more frequently have fewer of the engine issues you list?
I am not doubting you, nor do I mean to start yet another discussion on the correct frequency of oil changes.

That MINI now recommends oil changes at 10K miles on their new cars is a modification of policy on engine care, although it's not a modification of the engine itself. Now why did MINI change the oil change interval? Hmmm...

Is the oil line into the turbo shielded from the heat of the turbo on the N18?
I don't have one on my 2009 N14 S, but there is a shield that is added to N14s that require turbo replacement or timing chain replacement. The shield is supposed to help prevent oil sludge and clogging of the oil tube into the turbo.

Every time I try to load Motoringfile my computer crashes.

Old 06-25-2012 | 09:26 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
on march 01, 2012 there was a software change made

my all4, built first week of march has 9,000 mile oil change interval in th OBC

also a fix to a stumble on accelleration issue

may be others too

scott
The way I see it, in an engine with such sophisticated computer controls, a software change is an engine modification, even if the physical engine itself hasn't undergone a design change. Technically, that's probably not correct though.

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:08 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LittleWing
Erik- Is there any documentation that it is a fact that those who change their oil more frequently have fewer of the engine issues you list?
Great question: I do admit, I don't have as hard data source... Yet, reading countless threads on types of engine failures (not just on this forum) because of following a non-frequent preventative maintenance schedule makes a great opening line of a convincing argument. Being a formal 'grease monkey' staffer, when working in the quick-lube service sector for several years has opened my eyes to what kind of gunk and filth can be extracted from a oil pan.

That MINI now recommends oil changes at 10K miles on their new cars is a modification of policy on engine care, although it's not a modification of the engine itself. Now why did MINI change the oil change interval? Hmmm...
Definitely, however my thoughts on a professional level, it's not frequent enough for long-term engine care. There's still a lot of foreign matter that suspends on engine oil even with filtration and the like, after going through so many heat cycles and trying to shear to oil apart.

Is the oil line into the turbo shielded from the heat of the turbo on the N18?
It is: P/N #11657603484.

I don't have one on my 2009 N14 S, but there is a shield that is added to N14s that require turbo replacement or timing chain replacement. The shield is supposed to help prevent oil sludge and clogging of the oil tube into the turbo.
That little 'heat-sink' of a shield does help for radiation heat... try yourself with a IR temp gun and the sucker on versus off.
However, there's still much heat conduction from being in the vicinity of the exhaust side of the turbocharger.

- Erik

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:54 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Great question: I do admit, I don't have as hard data source... Yet, reading countless threads on types of engine failures (not just on this forum) because of following a non-frequent preventative maintenance schedule makes a great opening line of a convincing argument. Being a formal 'grease monkey' staffer, when working in the quick-lube service sector for several years has opened my eyes to what kind of gunk and filth can be extracted from a oil pan.

Definitely, however my thoughts on a professional level, it's not frequent enough for long-term engine care. There's still a lot of foreign matter that suspends on engine oil even with filtration and the like, after going through so many heat cycles and trying to shear to oil apart.

It is: P/N #11657603484.

That little 'heat-sink' of a shield does help for radiation heat... try yourself with a IR temp gun and the sucker on versus off.
However, there's still much heat conduction from being in the vicinity of the exhaust side of the turbocharger.

- Erik
Thanks Eric

I asked the question because I read that opinion everywhere, and it seems logical, but haven't seen any real data. I respect your opinion.

I ordered that shield today, but I have 35k miles on the engine and only 3 oil changes. My dealer won't install it under warranty unless my turbo or timing chain fail and need replacement. I thought I was taking good care of my car by following BMW/MINIs instructions. My consciousness has been raised now and I will increase the oil changes. I'm worried about the future reliability of my car. On the bright side, it runs really well so I'm hopeful that better maintenance practices and extending the warranties will cover any future issues.

I didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread, questioning what differences, if any, exist between the original and newer N18 engines. It seems that software changes have been made. I am interested to see if the N18s experience the same problems that are cropping up in some N14s as they age or if MINI has worked out those issues. Also, will certain production years be better than others? If so, why? Time will tell I suppose.

Old 06-26-2012 | 03:52 AM
dpcompt
|
5th Gear
my mistake

- Erik
When I mentioned "sludging" I should have said carbon buildup on the valves. My mistake.