R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ready to buy any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to buy any advice?

After much soul searching I've decided I'm ready to buy a new car. I'll be trading in my faithful Baxter a Justa '05 Hyper Blue Convert. I'm going be going to be buying another Mini. I've narrowed it down to either a Countryman or Hard top. I'm leaning towards the hardtop because I wanna save money but if I'm gonna spend more I'd rather try something new and go with a Countryman over another convert.

I do think it will be an uneasy transition from convert to non. I've been top down driving for nearly a decade but I wanna try something new.

I will be going to either Passport Mini of Alexandria (already checked them out) or Mini of Sterling (I've got to find out what they have). It's been a long time since I bought a car and I need some advice. I really don't want to order a car...I just don't have the patience to wait.

Are they willing to negotiate on the prices at all now? Any other tips or tricks?

SO EXCITED!!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Spec out the car you want and do as much of the haggling my email as you can

Sitting in the stealership sucks

Consider a new roadster!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I just picked up a MCS hardtop, though went in initially wanting to get a Countryman. The dealer had a better selection of HT's with the options I wanted and the CM were all decked out. Also, we decided to lease and the difference in monthly payment between the HT and CM was about $100 (comparable MSRP). Obviously, MINI is providing more incentives to move the HT. I think the Countryman would be an excellent companion vehicle to the hardtop and when our second car (a CRV) goes off lease next year, we will go for a CM (or maybe an X1).

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your price range?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe a sunroof will help you be comfortable with the change to a hardtop.

Choosing between the Cooper and the Countryman will come down to some serious test driving. I don't know how the Countryman handles compares to the Cooper, but for me that would be a thing to pay attention to. I really like the go-kart handling, and I don't know how much that's translated into the larger vehicle.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I don't want to go above 26K.

This might sound crazy but the only thing I really care about is having a white countryman with black rims or an ice blue hardtop w/black rims. My current Mini has a coldweather package and that would be nice but it's not make or break. I park in a garage so my car doesn't get too cold.

I drove a countryman tonight and I liked it. It felt sturdy and I liked the feeling of being elevated. The countryman would be the biggest car I've ever owned. before my mini I had a VW Cabrio, a toyota tercel, and a honda del sol. I'm drawn to the hardtop because of it's size. I'm just so used to a small car that is easy to parallel park.

My mom says I should go for a countryman or another convertible because I'll be disappointed by a hardtop. but honestly for me it comes down to price. If I'm spending 26k on another car I want it to be different, a countryman. I really don't want to spend 26k on another convertible. I'd rather save my money and get a countryman.

At a 129k (and on my original clutch) I'm just really looking forward to having a new car under warranty car!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't want to to sway you with my opinions but definitely a CM would be sweet. But after I test drove the Coupe JCW...I was like... this thing is AWESOME. But if your choosing between those two, go with the CM.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I am not sure you can get into a new CM for 26k - especially an S. A non S CM would be very underpowered IMHO. For 26k you could get a CMS with a few options.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I have no interest in buying an "S" I've been happy with my Justa so a new car is gonna feel like a significant upgrade. I'm really happy with a base model.

Passport had a white CM for $26,200 and I'm gonna go to Sterling tomorrow or thursday and see what they have.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive both, get which you like. I'd lean towards the hardtop unless I needed the extra space (rear seat and cargo) of the Countryman since the hardtop's going to be more nimble and fun to drive.

I'd spec out what you want online, find the invoice price though the internet take the specs with you and see which dealer would give you a better deal on ordering one. Ordering doesn't = paying MSRP. No reason to settle for something on the lot unless it's exactly what you want...

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
As others may have mentioned, a CM isn't going to drive like your Justa. 121 hp just doesn't go as far on a much heavier CM.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I'm going to the dealer again today after work. So tonight I'll drive a hardtop. I liked the countryman but I felt like it was alil punchy when accelerating. Not sure if it was me because I haven't driven an automatic in awhile...although my driving skills have been called questionable or if that's just how the automatics are.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Non-S Countryman is pushing it in general... Automatic non-S Countryman is going to be the pits. If automatic is a requirement for the Countryman I'd definitely spec the S - and I'm an outspoken non-S promoter (I dislike the term "Justa" as it implies inferiority).

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by remphoto
I am not sure you can get into a new CM for 26k - especially an S. A non S CM would be very underpowered IMHO. For 26k you could get a CMS with a few options.
*blinks eyes* ummm, what?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Non-S Countryman is pushing it in general... Automatic non-S Countryman is going to be the pits. If automatic is a requirement for the Countryman I'd definitely spec the S - and I'm an outspoken non-S promoter (I dislike the term "Justa" as it implies inferiority).
I've got a 2011 Light White/Black CM Non S with an automatic and have no issues with acceleration, handling or stopping. yes it weighs a bit more, but hit the Sport button, and Drive.....no complaints and we've had it for over a year.........

Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
If I had 26K I'd go hardtop over CM. The CM weighs significantly more, is about 6 inches higher and at least 9 inches longer. With an AT it will be bordering on a dog compared you your Justa R53. Plus you can get a few options on a hatch. Unless you need the rear seats and 4 doors I'd go hatch.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
*blinks eyes* ummm, what?
Sorry, all these abbreviations! Of course I mean an MCS HT with options for $26,000.

As tocomments about adequate power for a non-S CM.... in hill-country you might find it a leisurely haul getting up steep hills, especially if carrying passengers and luggage. If you are a flat-lander, no problem. The MINI dealers in our area have received very few non-S CM's. Was told that most people do not want them due to the power issue.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I pulled the trigger and bought myself a new CM. It had everything I wanted and I paid what I wanted. It was a fairly smooth process. This is first car I bought on my own. I've paid for cars myself but never actually went to a dealer by myself and dealt with the whole process on my own. Even though it would be my money my Mom would usually be right by my side during the whole process. I question whether or not I bargained hard enough but I feel like I did a good job.

It's light white with a black roof and black rims...I wanted black rims so bad! I went in with my own financing but ended up going with BMW financing. I got a better interest rate and they're gonna to be installing an arm rest and backup sensors as part of the deal.

I traded in my convert...and I'm alil sad about it. One of my favorite things about it was all the stares I'd get. It really attracted people and was such a conversation starter. But the list of things that needing fixing was getting overwhelming. The final straw was spending the last few weeks without A/C. I'm graduating college and just felt ready for a change.

My mom was being a pain and said that I was trading in my wow for blah. Dealing with her opinion was probably the most stressful part. She wasn't even there but over the phone she was being really negative because she doesn't like white cars. She wanted me to get a surf blue CM with a sunroof but I wasn't crazy about the color and I don't really like sunroofs either. I wanted a white CM and that's what I got!

Finally, the size and going automatic were quite the change. This is the biggest car I've ever owned. It feels like double the size of my former MINI. I sit in a lot of traffic, for those in NOVA I drive from Occoquan to Tysons (it sucks!) and while a stick wasn't a nuisance I'm sure I'll notice not having to shift. I will miss getting over 400 miles out of tank of gas.

I'm just so excited and can't wait to figure everything out. I remember how amazed I was when I got Baxter it just seemed to out of this world 7yrs ago... it's crazy how far cars have come!

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions and advice.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Congrats on the purchase! Glad the other non-S Auto Countryman owners are happy with theirs - hope you will be as well.

Oh, and it's customary to post pics of new purchases...

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM
apoirier594
Neutral
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Congrats on the purchase!

Oh, and it's customary to post pics of new purchases...
+1
And pics for sure! Congrats, hope that will be me soon. Haha

Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I can't believe that this GIANT car is mine! I LOVE IT!!!!! I'm a smidge saddies about being without my former MINI "Baxter". After cruising around the things I love are...the smoothness, sturdiness of the steering wheel, being elevated, a nice cold A/C (it's over 90 today) These are things my former MINI didn't have. It's gonna take some getting used to all the buttons and controls. I really need to get into the manual. I hope to one day be one those people that can have 2 cars and when that day comes I'll get another convertible!

I was so excited I woke up early even though I didn't have to be up and spent a few hours cleaning the garage. Whenever I buy new clothes I like to clean my closet so I can see all things nice and organized. All it took was buying a new car and the garage is now useable again

I do have a question for those of you with the automatic non s...how many miles do you get out of tank? Like I said before I was getting alil over 400 out of manual convert. and I just wanna know how much people are realistically getting out of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Ready to buy any advice?-photo.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tykoon83
I can't believe that this GIANT car is mine! I LOVE IT!!!!! I'm a smidge saddies about being without my former MINI "Baxter". After cruising around the things I love are...the smoothness, sturdiness of the steering wheel, being elevated, a nice cold A/C (it's over 90 today) These are things my former MINI didn't have. It's gonna take some getting used to all the buttons and controls. I really need to get into the manual. I hope to one day be one those people that can have 2 cars and when that day comes I'll get another convertible!

I was so excited I woke up early even though I didn't have to be up and spent a few hours cleaning the garage. Whenever I buy new clothes I like to clean my closet so I can see all things nice and organized. All it took was buying a new car and the garage is now useable again

I do have a question for those of you with the automatic non s...how many miles do you get out of tank? Like I said before I was getting alil over 400 out of manual convert. and I just wanna know how much people are realistically getting out of the car.
Wow, great color combo! I usually don't like the dark wheels but they look great in contrast to the white paint.