R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What is this warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 AM
stringfellow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this warning light?

Attached is a picture of a warning light I have been getting intermittently. I have checked the manual and the best I get figure is it means I sometimes have to push the brake to start the car (this of course makes no sense as I think you always have to push the brake to start the car). I have called my mini dealer and they have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails What is this warning light?-warning-light.jpg   What is this warning light?-warning-light1.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 AM
JMH_Show
2nd Gear
For me it turns on if I start the engine without fastening my seat belt. Turns off when I put by seat belt on. Maybe just a coincidence. I am curious as well.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 AM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
it also turns on when you get down to 2 kernels/carrots of gas.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most commonly it will come on if you don't have your seatbelt on. It will also come on when low fuel is detected (the gauge has gone into the red carrots). It is there to let you know that some system on the car needs attention.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Yeah, it's a general warning for anything. Mine is on all the time because one of my backup sensors is wonky. If I put the car in reverse at any point, that warning light stays on until I turn the car off. Run through the computer service menu to see if you can figure out what the actual issue is causing that light...

Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is called a "check control message." There maybe one or MORE messages waiting for you.

Use the following to pin-point EXACTLY what is causing the warning symbol.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-messages.html

Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Mine is on constantly. In the owners manual I found that it said that is was a warning that the car may start next without clutch pushed in. I really dont pay much attention to it currently I think I have 3 different lights lit due to ongoing work on audio system. Ill get them cleared when/if ever get done.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by stringfellow
Attached is a picture of a warning light I have been getting intermittently. I have checked the manual and the best I get figure is it means I sometimes have to push the brake to start the car (this of course makes no sense as I think you always have to push the brake to start the car). I have called my mini dealer and they have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
From what I see, you have three lights/warnings on, and quite possibly nothing to be concerned about.

1. Brake light is lit, and the "P" is on meaning your transmission is in Park. That tells me you have your parking brake on. Does the brake light go out when you release your parking brake?

2. It is difficult to see due to the sun glare but, in your pictures in the middle of your tach, the little man with the seat belt is shown. This tells me you started your car without your seat belt latched. Simply put, fasten your seat belt before starting your car. This should eliminate the warning, and if not, you need to have this looked at.

3. Last, in your second picture, you have the warning triangle circled. I checked on my Mini, that when I start the car without the seat belt being latched, I also get the warning triangle. However, and this is a big however, the warning triangle goes away when the seat belt warning disappears. If your warning triangle disappears, you have nothing to worry about.

Let my say first that my Mini is a 2008 model year and your warnings could work differently than mine if have a newer Mini. I would recommend you review these issues in your owner's manual.

If your brake light remains on when the parking brake is released and the warning triangle stays lit after the seat belt warning goes off, then follow strobeyprobey's instructions above.

That being the case, you probably have some type of brake issue. The good news is it should be under warranty with only 7.2k miles on the clock. But I would get it to the dealer soon.