R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help me love my 10 MCS even more

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
slitcher
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me love my 10 MCS even more

Hi guys,

So I have been enjoying my newly acquired '10 MCS for almost a little more than a week now, but there are a few things that I find strange or haven't discovered yet

1. Double pull to open doors. Is that always this way ? Can't the door unlock themselves automatically and allow the people inside to open the door with a single pull ?

2. No Beep when I lock the car. I get lights flash but no horn beep.

3. This one has to be the most annoying one. The tailgate is always in locked position even when the doors are unlocked. Meaning I ALWAYS have to push the tailgate button on my remote to get access to the trunk. That's fishy, I've had several hatchys and wagon and non of them required me to pull the remote when the doors are unlocked.

I guess i'll just add to the list as time goes on but for now I think that's about it.

Thanks for your help

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
MuR56phy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suffer from all 3 of those as well, as do most Mini owners. There's an on-going thread I think it's titled "What do you hate most" or something along those lines to help aid in finding what else will annoy you soon enough

Edit: Here's the link
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...your-mini.html

Happy Motoring!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Most or all of these can be reset through your ecu that you access though the button on your turn signal. I believe it is all in your owners manual.
Here is a better thread to read to love your MINI:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-r56-mini.html

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
1. The double pull is standard, but you can always use the door unlock toggle switch to unlock the doors and then use a single pull to open them.

2. The beep is only available on cars equipped with factory alarms.

3. Not sure on this one...I have a 2012 and the boot always unlocks with the rest of the doors, but I can use the boot release button to open it.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
Mine is set so when I shut it off all doors unlock including the hatch. If I leave the car and lock it upon return one push of unlock only operates the driver side door lock. Two pushes unlocks passenger side plus hatch. Don't know if my other key is programmed this way or not.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 AM
slitcher
2nd Gear
I went through the set/info menu but could not solve none of my issues. Only thing i could do thats kind of related to my issues is the one click driver unlock and double click passenger unlock. But even then, the hatch wont unlock at the same time.

Its really not that big of a deal its just effin annoying

Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Then there is something wrong with the hatch lock. (unless comfort access work differently) I've got the comfort access and usually never even touch the remote.

To solve the double pull, don't lock the doors. If you do unlock the doors, then learn to live with it. Or make it more interesting, install the Renn-line door pulls. (I love mine...lol) People look at the red tether and think WTF?

If you really need a beep, you can install a relay and a piezoelectric beeper. Just tie it into the door lock circuit. It wouldn't be that hard for a stereo installer to do.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
slitcher
2nd Gear
Yeah, I guess not enabling the autolocking function will not force me to double pull ...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I'll +1 on something possibly being wrong with your hatch lock. If I unlock all doors in my MINI, that includes the hatch.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM
slitcher
2nd Gear
By unlock all, your talking about double tapping the unlock button on the fob ? It does not work for me...

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slitcher
3. This one has to be the most annoying one. The tailgate is always in locked position even when the doors are unlocked. Meaning I ALWAYS have to push the tailgate button on my remote to get access to the trunk. That's fishy, I've had several hatchys and wagon and non of them required me to pull the remote when the doors are unlocked
The button for the hatch is on the right side underside. Be sure you're pushing in the right section! With both doors unlock (a double tap on the unlock button on your fob), all you should need to do is reach under the hatch handle and push up on the right hand side. Be sure you're doing that. If it doesn't open that way, then you've got a problem. But luckily you're under warranty, so go get it fixed.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by slitcher
By unlock all, your talking about double tapping the unlock button on the fob ? It does not work for me...
Yes. Using the key fob, one press of unlock button should unlock only the drivers door. Second press of the unlock button should unlock the other doors (passenger and hatch).

Same is true when inside the MINI using the toggle switch. If doors are locked, one flick of the toggle switch should unlock the driver's door. Second flick of the switch should unlock all other doors.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
You can program you key fob to response of the central locking system when the car is being unlocked. To open all doors which includes the hatch when when click once to unlock the door.

"Central Locking System"

The central locking system is ready for operation whenever the driver's door is closed. The system simultaneously engages and releases the locks on the following: Doors, Hatch, Fuel filler door.

Operating from outside: via the remote control, via the door lock, In cars with convenient access, via the door handles on the driver's and passenger's sides.

The information provided above came from and in the Owner's Manual. It took me a few tried to get it right. Besides there is the concept of personal profile store on each of your key fob such as radio settings, AC, automatic locking, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Not sure about #3 (seems to be a malfunction) but #1 and #2 are classic BMW distinctives going back a number of years. The double pull becomes instinctive over time.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
flredmini
3rd Gear
Hatch latch

Sounds like the switch on the outside of the hatch is bad. I had the same thing happen to mine. If the doors are unlocked, you should be able to open the hatch without the key fob by squeezing the button above the license plate. Mine stopped working on my 2010, and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe my car is different, but my trunk stays unlocked unless I push the unlock button in the car. Even when I do this, it will relock after a certain amount of time. I don't have comfort access. One push of my unlock button on the fob unlocks both doors, but I don't think that it unlocks the hatch. Mine is a 2008.

Basically, when I want to get in the boot, I use the hatch button on the fob. If I don't have my keys (my driveway, for instance), I open the door and push the unlock button. Then the trunk is able to be opened.

Once the annoying wears off, it becomes character. Ask anyone who has had a Saab 900 with the ignition switch in the floor......

Have fun,
Mike

Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
You get used to the dbl pull after 7 years I don't even notice it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
slitcher
2nd Gear
Thought I'd let you know :

Tailgate thing has been fixed by the dealer under warranty. They replaced the whole trunk lid thing. They even offered me the choice between chrome finish and painted pepper white.

The tailgate now operates correctly.