R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Thoughts on a 2012 loaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thoughts on a 2012 loaner

I dropped off my 2010 MCS for service and they gave me a 2012 MCS auto... Just a few thoughts I'd share.

What's up with the auto transmission? The thing is jerky, it hunts for gears. Just cruzing along, up a gear, down a gear...

The paddle shifters seem to think for a moment, Should I or shouldn't I? Then it shifts. Sport mode or not. I'm sitting there thinking, Dang it I want that gear NOW! Not when it wants to give it to me. I'll stick with a manual... Do they use a different final drive gear, or are the actual transmission ratios different between a manual and an auto? The thing does have some jump off the line.

Stereo: Uh, maybe I'm a bit spoiled with the HK and Integral Audio sub, but that base level system blows. Granted all I did was listen to the radio, but man, even that sounded like ***. No matter what settings I tried.

The ride: Holy crap this thing is harsh. Now I remember why I replaced those shocks, and springs, and got rid of the run flats.

British Racing Green is pretty nice, Not as nice as Chili Red, but nice, I could live with the color.

Those of you without the automatic AC, I feel sorry for you. This thing has the manual AC. Best I can say is it works. But I'm always fiddling with it.

Glad I've got the auto Ac...

It has the standard sunroof. Really glad I put 5% limo tint on mine. The thing is an oven without it.

I like the black gauges and faces. I've already got the black multi function controls on my steering wheel.

The steering wheel is hard as hell. I've got the leather/Alcantara JCW wheel in mine, worth every Pfennig, (or Euro/dollar).

Anyway, That's how I see it.
While I was at the dealer, they had a JCW roadster there... Sticker was $42,560 Eh no thanks. For that money, there are a lot of other cars...

Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
mini_stig
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The transmission, the stock system, and the AC were the three top reasons I traded in my 2012 MCS w/ 3000 miles for a car w/ more options and packages. It was even worth it to me with a $5k hit for depreciation.

I 100% agree with you, the auto gearbox is ***. it downshifts for you even in steptronic mode, its jerky when it shifts down

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Who else thinks Richard needs to break out of his shell and learn to speak his mind ?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Isn't that what this forum is for?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last month I ended up having to use a 2012 MCS loaner for the BRP Tour. I too was frustrated with the auto transmission. I didn't really notice it being jerky or hunting, by I was incredibly frustrated with the delay between hitting a paddle shifter and when it finally decided to go ahead and change the gear.

I also noticed the final gearing seemed different from my 2008. On my MINI, with cruise set at 75, I'm right on 3,000 rpm in 6th gear. The loaner seemed to want to settle in at around 2,300 rpm.

This loaner had the HK radio system, so I was good on that. But the two loaners prior to that had base level systems and I could swear there were times when that system couldn't generate enough volume to overcome the wind/road noise when driving with windows down. I think I have finally figured out that MINI has degraded the base stereo system in late models so there is huge difference between it and the HK upgrade. In past years, I did not think the difference was that great.

But on the auto climate control - meh, I tend to manually override it when I have a car so equipped, so no loss there for me.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
I appreciate Richard speaking his mind, even it I don't always agree. With regard to his impressions on the 2012 Loaner, I agree. Planning to upgrade my current suspension to one similar to his and ditch the run flats as soon as they are worn out.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's different on a 2010, but I don't have a delay with my paddle shifters?

Also, if you think the HK system sounds pretty good, the full Integral Audio system is amazing. I went from the HK, to the HK with the IA sub, to the full IA system and it's better than the upgraded HK systems on Bmws.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I had a 2011 MCS loaner a couple months ago and the shifting was fine. The paddle shifter was hard to get used to operating it so I shift with the stick as it is similar to my BMW.

In sport mode the auto responded my well as it hold the low gear or down shift to low gear much quicker. Also, there were a lot of "POP" and "Burb" as compared to other loaner I have driven before.

Overall the driving experience with the 2011 MCS was a lot for fun with lots more power than my 2009 MCSC. Other than the amenities you mentioned are the same, radio, etc.

I will request for a Countryman Loaner the next time I have my car in for service which is a couple weeks from now.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Update:

They want to keep my car overnite again, to further check the timing chain noise. Guess I get another day of driving the auto...

Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's interesting to me as well, as my auto shifts *right now* when I touch either the paddles or use the lever.....and the only time I use sport mode is on the track; when I drive on the street I just leave it normal, otherwise it won't shift into 6th, even on the highway unless I manually do it with the lever.....

Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Buckethead
1st Gear
I don't know about all the gear ratios but the auto and manual have different 6th gear ratios at least, the automatic is something like 0.6 and the manual is around 0.8. So the auto should get slightly better mileage cruising on the highway.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Well they are replacing the timing chain, tensioner, gears... I'll know more when they are done.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Well they are replacing the timing chain, tensioner, gears... I'll know more when they are done.
Had to get that done on mine about a month and a half ago.

Do they know you have a custom tune? They did a software update on mine when they did the timing chain work. Granted, it had been a long time and many miles since I had visited MINI service, though they did not do it a few months ago when I got the recall done.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Richard, you are too predictable, I knew what your post was going to say before I even clicked the link. Sometimes I wonder why you even own a MINI, as most of your posts are nothing but trash talking combined with a generous dose of false information and hyperbole.

I know every forum online has to have one of "those guys" that really serve no purpose other than to grate on peoples' nerves, but it's especially unbecoming of a fellow MINI owner. Just buy a car you actually like and be done with it already!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
XXXxxxxXXXXX REDACTED XXXXxxxxXXXXxxx

Last edited by amancuso; 07-20-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
Richard, you are too predictable, I knew what your post was going to say before I even clicked the link. Sometimes I wonder why you even own a MINI, as most of your posts are nothing but trash talking combined with a generous dose of false information and hyperbole.

I know every forum online has to have one of "those guys" that really serve no purpose other than to grate on peoples' nerves, but it's especially unbecoming of a fellow MINI owner. Just buy a car you actually like and be done with it already!
WTF dude? You have got me confused with somebody else. Show me a post of mine with trash talking or false info... Go ahead.

I love my Mini. It's a great fun car to drive. It's getting fixed at no charge to me, so I really don't care. My post was about the autotragic transmission, and comparing a new 2012 to my 2010, that I have fixed/made better than when it left the factory. Granted they have to meet some kind of price point. but it seems to me that the development work on the suspension left a lot to be desired. Maybe if they quit developing the car on a race track and spent some time in crappy roads, they could find a better balance on the shock valving and spring rates.

Oh and I reloaded the stock tune before I took it in... They can tell if they look hard enough, but I doubt they will. (not that a tune really has anything to do with a timing chain tensioner)...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Some people get all worked up when someone complains about the automatic transmission, even when there's no detailed comparison to the "other" transmission in the post.

Anyway, just a guess

Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
WTF dude? You have got me confused with somebody else. Show me a post of mine with trash talking or false info... Go ahead.
Actually I'm not confusing you with anyone, as you stand out in a crowd.
You continually bash many aspects of the MINI, don't even pretend you don't. Throw a dart at a random thread, and Richard is either there trash talking the brand or trying to show his elite formula 1 driving skeelz. Now you are playing the "what, me?" card...

Richard could walk out of a burning forest fire with a can of gas and a flamethrower in his hand and say "Me? No, you've clearly got the wrong guy!" You are transparent...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Show me! Dude, you seem to have issues.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an auto, and have learned to live with it (like the double pull on the handles to get out). Alot of the hunting while accelerating is that it is thinking too hard. It starts off in 'regular' mode, but if you give it more throttle it switches to 'sport' mode (and usually downshifts from 3rd to 2nd). Even though I have had the car for about 8 months, it still catches me off guard.

My car has pretty quick response from the paddles, but they get over ridden if I downshift too quickly before a turn. When I want to hustle a bit, I shift with the stick. It feels more natural and will hold the car in that gear.

Richard, I like your comments. It is direct like a punch in the face sometimes, but you are clear with your descriptions and opinions. Good luck with your car repairs. Chili red does look good on a MINI, I agree.

Mike

Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Well I gave back the loaner this AM, and got my car back. All I can say is it's good to be home... While nice, the new auto, hasn't got anything on my car, except less miles...lol

I asked how much the timing chain, gears, tensioner, tensioner rail... (yea, they replaced it all) repair would have cost if not under warranty... $2500.. :0

Appearantly, guide movement is supposed to be less than 67mm, mine was 68... So MINI said replace the whole thing. Kewl. I hope it doesn't happen again after the warranty expires.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I got my whole kit replaced at 43K Miles as well, timing chain, tensioner, tensioner rail but I did not see the gear on the list. Anyway, it took the dealer a while to get it all done because the have to follow procedure and at each step of the TSB they have to report and wait for MIN's approval.

Glad to have your car back and can you tell its much quiet now right?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Well I gave back the loaner this AM, and got my car back. All I can say is it's good to be home... While nice, the new auto, hasn't got anything on my car, except less miles...lol

I asked how much the timing chain, gears, tensioner, tensioner rail... (yea, they replaced it all) repair would have cost if not under warranty... $2500.. :0

Appearantly, guide movement is supposed to be less than 67mm, mine was 68... So MINI said replace the whole thing. Kewl. I hope it doesn't happen again after the warranty expires.

How many miles were on your car when this problem developed for you?

Quick Reply: R56 Thoughts on a 2012 loaner