R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Opinions on 09 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions on 09 purchase

Like the title says. I am in the market for a MINI 56 S

Located 09 I am interested in 30k miles 6 speed manual. Local MINI shows that the aux water pump was replaced around 6k the brakes were replaces, widnshield wiper hoses were replaced. Cam Chain Tens. was replaced at 29k miles. Still under warranty until Aug next year I guess.

So from the research I have done, those are all common items that have plauged these years of the MINI's

So my concern is......will this thing be a lemon? or is it good that they have already been replaced and I should take advantage of a good deal and scoop this little sucker up. Been looking for a long time.

Any advice thanks?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 3 years, if that's all that was done, it is far from a lemon. Yes, it's better that the tensioner is already replaced -- with the revised part I presume -- because that was the inevitable. Aux water pump was a full-on recall, so you can't hold that against it re: being a lemon. Brakes pads can be known to go quickly in these cars depending on driving style, but 6k seems awfully short. Still nothing alarming as it's a consumable. Sounds like a good runner to me.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
...also forgot to add the high pressure pump went out.

Again from what I have read that is fairly common.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only other thing I would request them to look at before buying is the carbon buildup in the intake ports and on the intake valves of the engine. That would be the last thing that can bite you in the *** and cause misfires. This is a VERY common problem on the N14/N18. Yes, it's something you can clean yourself but really they should be doing it for you.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
The only other thing I would request them to look at before buying is the carbon buildup in the intake ports and on the intake valves of the engine. That would be the last thing that can bite you in the *** and cause misfires. This is a VERY common problem on the N14/N18. Yes, it's something you can clean yourself but really they should be doing it for you.
This MINI is not being sold at a MINI dealer. I called a local dealer and they ran the VIN for me. Seems like a fairly decent price for the car 17900 has cold weather package. Sport package. Everything else is stock.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
I purchased a used 2009 JCW about 6 months ago and had the same worries. Mine had new brakes installed, tires, water pump recall,wiper blades. I have had no problems since getting it home. It has about 21k miles on it. I would buy it agin in the same situation.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Ok so I went down and had a chance to test drive this vehicle today. Here is what I found out.

1. The car is from New York and the carfax report says it was a lease. It was then sold at auction twice.

2. Over all the paint was decent on this vehicle. In the report it states there was an accident/damage claim. No major damage. That's pretty damn vague.

3. Aux water pump recall was fixed.

4. One owner car.

.......Next. Soon as I took it for a test drive I noticed a squeaking sound when I turned the wheel to the left or the right. Hmmmm? Test drove it. Squeaking went away.

...09 S is def not as fast as the 11 s I drove. Granted I can tune the 09 and not the 11, I would assume that it would be as fast as a 11 or faster. Never driven tuned 09?

...after mentioning my issues to the used car dealer, he produced a service record for me. The car is still under factory warranty. They took in and had mentioned the squeak I had heard. Mentioned the cold motor rattle and loud struts. The service report indicated they didn't find anything wrong with the vehicle.

Like I told the sales guy, a brand new car shouldn't have a squeak like that in the steering. They said if it was a bad rack and pinion they would have it replaced. Ok I like the effort. But still concerned. I am still concerned about the chain tension-er. When I called MINI they said it would have been repaired, but why did the report say nothing was wrong?

I don't know I was hoping to be sold on this MINI but I am not so sure with the issues and concerns I have addressed above.

Any more input?

Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
If you have doubts about this car, perhaps you should continue to look. If you decide to buy it, get in writing what the dealer has promised you.

This is after you have paid for an inspection by a mechanic with MINI experience. We have seen too many on this forum who have bought without an inspection and found they owned someone else's nightmare.

Last edited by grgramps; 07-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Danske
2nd Gear
Yeah, that is tough. Still under warranty is valuable to have. For all you know the car has been on the race track a lot. Might want to pass on this or at least take a closer look.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:56 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
The issues fixed are S.O.P. for this car (I have an '09 MCS). Other issues are questionable and your doubts would probably make me pass on this; although the price is good.

If you can get it to a competent MINI mechanic, do that. It can't hurt and it may make you feel better about the car.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I bought an 08 S last year, similar situation with multiple items fixed under warranty. I also had a squeak (sounded like left front) in the test drive, and had a 7 day return with the dealer. The squeak went away within 100 miles, I figure that it was because it sat on the lot for about 5 months before I grabbed it (price dropped to 15k). My car was treated roughly (lots of stone chips, only 3 oil changes in 49k miles), but I have takend a chance on it. It is not my baby, just a really fun daily driver.

If this is a car that you have been looking for, and it meets your needs (S, trans, options, color), then grab it. Nothing that you have said here sounds scary to me. If this is a car that you have been dreaming about for years, and want to keep for a while, buy one from a forum member here, it will probably be better taken care of than the auction one from a dealer. What part of the country are you in? You can always post a WTB in the forum here.

Bottom line: If it doesn't feel right, its probably not right. Make this a business decision first (inspect it like it was a corolla you were buying for your daughter), then get passionate if the car looks OK.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Tough decision to make for sure.
I am also tempted to just save up a little more cash and build a brand new MINI with everything I want. only 10k difference LOL

The car was serviced at a local MINI dealer and they didn't fix anything. That seemed odd to me.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Piecing together what you have said, it sounds to me like the car is still under the maintenance plan, which is different from the warranty. It covers maintenance service, brakes, fluids, the clutch, wear and tear items, etc. It is a 3YR/36K plan, while the warranty is 4YR/50K.
Was the in service date Aug 09?
If so, it is still under the maintenance plan for a while longer.
This could explain why it was serviced at a local MINI dealer with no repairs.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LittleWing
Piecing together what you have said, it sounds to me like the car is still under the maintenance plan, which is different from the warranty. It covers maintenance service, brakes, fluids, the clutch, wear and tear items, etc. It is a 3YR/36K plan, while the warranty is 4YR/50K.
Was the in service date Aug 09?
If so, it is still under the maintenance plan for a while longer.
This could explain why it was serviced at a local MINI dealer with no repairs.
It still has the 4yr/50k warranty. I ends next Aug.

After I mentioned I didn't like the fact that an 09 was making a squeaking noise, he called his business partner. He then showed me a receipt from the LOCAL MINI dealer. On that receipt it showed what they had "issues" with when it was brought in. 1. the steering making noise. 2. Loud struts. 3. Cold start rattle. 4. Headlights to low.

MINI didn't fix any of the above items except the lights. They said on the paperwork "everything checks out ok"

When I called a MINI dealer and had them run the vin number, thats when I found out they had replaced the high pressure pump, water pump, brakes, wiper hoses and they said "it had a crankshaft oil leak" I asked if that had been fixed they said "I am sure it was"

But now I think otherwise after reading the paperwork. If I purchased I could always take it in and get it fixed.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The cold start rattle is a fairly common design flaw related to the timing chain. I would put this on the list for the dealer to address, or confirm that it has been done. It's a $2k repair if out of warranty, and something that should be confirmed for any 2nd gen MINI that you are looking at.

Mike

Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke
It still has the 4yr/50k warranty. I ends next Aug.

After I mentioned I didn't like the fact that an 09 was making a squeaking noise, he called his business partner. He then showed me a receipt from the LOCAL MINI dealer. On that receipt it showed what they had "issues" with when it was brought in. 1. the steering making noise. 2. Loud struts. 3. Cold start rattle. 4. Headlights to low.

MINI didn't fix any of the above items except the lights. They said on the paperwork "everything checks out ok"

When I called a MINI dealer and had them run the vin number, thats when I found out they had replaced the high pressure pump, water pump, brakes, wiper hoses and they said "it had a crankshaft oil leak" I asked if that had been fixed they said "I am sure it was"

But now I think otherwise after reading the paperwork. If I purchased I could always take it in and get it fixed.
OK, I see what you are saying.
So, although in your OP you say the tensioner chain was replaced at 29K, it appears that wasn't done, despite the cold start rattle.
Did you hear the cold start rattle?
It is under warranty, but if the dealer can't duplicate the problem it's possible that it could be difficult getting them to fix it under warranty, but probably not.
There are many stories here of this problem cropping up out of warranty and some dealers will fix it anyway and some dealers won't.
Odd that you can't get a definite answer on that.
I would want either to have it replaced before buying the car, or documentation that the work was done.
Good luck!