R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Heat from driver side footwell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat from driver side footwell - A/C Fan Issues

Hey all,

I know this has already been mentioned but, I didn't see a "fix" for it.

I JUST got my car back from the Auto Body Shop after an unfortunate event that happened 3 weeks ago.

Just to **** all over me, something punctured my tire and I ended up having to get it plugged. The exhaust tips are sticking an inch out, which looks absolutely retarded and I'm going in to get them to cut down the exhaust so it doesn't look ridiculous.

The last part is, now I'm getting a really hot feeling now from the plastic near the driver side footwell. Like I said, I understand this was mentioned in many threads but, I read them all and I don't see a "fix" for it. Thing is, this wasn't a problem at all before the shop. I'm guessing it's something they did to have this issue occur.

Last edited by cdboss; 08-03-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
So since no one answered this question, I'm also concerned with some other issues.

They put a new compressor in my car. I had a lot of work done to it, so I'm bound to have something happen.

My first question is, does the snowflake button have to be active to run the A/C? Does this engage the A/C and while it's off, it's just the fans?

Second question is, when the A/C is actually on (snowflake button engaged), even when the fan speed is on one, I hear a loud fan come on and it's always on until I shut the car off or shut the A/C off.

My last question is, when I'm driving, it makes an odd noise. The car seems to run just fine but, it's like when someone's car doesn't have enough power steering fluid, it makes that odd noise just when driving. My steering also feels a little tight. What could that be?

I'm just really concerned after getting it back. Like I said, the car seems to run fine and if anything I have more power/pickup than I did before but, I have all these little issues.

I'm taking it back up to the shop on Saturday to check out some of the issues but, I wanted your guys expertise, so I have some gun-power when I take it up there.

Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
do you have a short shift/ is the cover on the bottom of the shift box, when that is missing you can get allot of heat like you describe.

new exhaust?

the snow flake button controls the compressor. you can have the fans blowing but if the light next to the snowflake is not on, the compressor will not kick on. when the compressor is on your radiator fan will kick on high(adding some noise) and im not sure about r56s but on r53s when the rad fan kicks on to high that triggers the power steering pump fan to turn on which can be very loud especially if the bearings in that fan ar going out(a common issue with r53s) but im not even sure if r56s have the little power steering pump fan.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Thanks for the reply Cole.

I never had the issue before the repairs. The A/C would turn on just fine and the fan wasn't this loud. I went through a drive-thru last night after work and I could barely understand the individual speaking to me. That's pretty darn loud, lol. It used to only turn on when it needed to, not always switched on.

Don't know, maybe before it wasn't working properly and now it is, so I notice it.

As for the heat in the footwell. I drive an automatic, I probably should have pointed that out, sorry. The plastic covers are all on and nothing seems to have been touched down there.

Also, know anything about the tight handling? It used to only be tight when I had the "Sports" mode on, which is what's supposed to happen. Does it need more power steering fluid or could there be something wrong?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
if you have the same power steering set up as the r53s with the fan, if you fan is not working properly/ cooling the power steering pump, it could be causing it to fail.

other that that i have no idea.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
OK. Thanks for the replies, hopefully all will be well and they can fix these minor issues.

If anyone else has any input, please fill me in. c:

Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Oh, I forgot to answer your question, if it wasn't rhetorical.

Yes, they had to put in a new exhaust. Could that be the noise?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if you have read this thread -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

Looks like a TSB and retrofit kit were issued for this problem on some of the earlier 2nd gens. Posts indicate the fix was not effective for some, but it appears the heat is being generated by the heater core. Not sure whether any of the work done on yours would have impact that...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Not sure if you have read this thread -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

Looks like a TSB and retrofit kit were issued for this problem on some of the earlier 2nd gens. Posts indicate the fix was not effective for some, but it appears the heat is being generated by the heater core. Not sure whether any of the work done on yours would have impact that...
Yeah, I read that. Most of the people are saying the OEM Fit does not fix the issue. Some people went with buying some insulator from Home Depot or any other respective store, to shield the heat. I'll look into it.

Have any advice on the other issues?

Thanks for the reply, by the way.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
minnithemoocher
Neutral
insulation fix?

What are the insulation fixes you found in your research? Just bought a 2007 Cooper, fried my foot yesterday, saw the Service Bulletin and am trying to figure out my next move. Car in shop now, so no time like the present.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM
davydo
3rd Gear
I just had enough myself with my 2012 JCW. I thought I was having hot flashes lol - I am preparing to raise a stank with Mini.