R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Options that you love or hate

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blind Dog Daddy
No longer available, replaced that with DTC, an electronic version of limited slip!
Exactly

Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Xenons and as cheesy as it sounds chrome line interior. Other than that all options are too heavy and take away from what the MINI is suppose to be, Light and nimble.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimberlyfour
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I an still trying to decide but hearing your experiences helps.

My current car is a base model, so even having auto door locks is somewhat luxurious for me. That's why I am interested in actually getting options on this car. Last time around I was just trying to get a car for as cheap as possible and just the fact that it was new felt like a splurge.

On this car I was leaning towards the cloth seats, but recently started thinking that I should get the vinyl so that our dogs don't mess up the back seats, then get seat covers for the front. I take two 30lb dogs to the dog park a few times a week, so they will be frequent riders. I do agree that sitting on vinyl or leather isn't as comfortable as cloth. I actually hate it and it was a main reason that I didn't buy a car off the lot.

I'm still undecided about the DTC. I don't know that I need it if I'm not planing on racing, and I don't live in a snowy area.

I wish that the packages were more editable. I always seem to like most of the included items, then hate one of them. I like the sport- but don't want 17 inch tires. I like the technology but don't want Sirius. I like the Premium- but don't want a sun roof. Grrrr.

Mini is really fair in letting us pick so many options, but then they put weird restrictions on some things, like roof color, or if you pick velvet silver you can't get cloth seats. ????

Blind Dog, yeah, I'm close to that price. I really want cut it down.

Leaf Fan- Ive just opted your wife out of the package.
We had leatherette in our previous MINI and cloth in the new one. Cloth is better. As to dogs, just leave the rear seat folded down and they have the perfect riding area, where they can see out and are laying on carpet rather than seat fabric. We put a blanket down and our suitcase fills the trunk portion, providing a level area. We took our two bichons on a couple 1000 mile trips and they loved it. The backseat is worthless, anyway, and it turns your MINI into a pefect little station wagon.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Xenons and as cheesy as it sounds chrome line interior. Other than that all options are too heavy and take away from what the MINI is suppose to be, Light and nimble.
I feel like I have a pretty good combo. Real LSD with no sunroof.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
I feel like I have a pretty good combo. Real LSD with no sunroof.
Crap I forgot about the LSD. I have that and no sun roof myself.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Scott Auld
2nd Gear
Retractable Headlamp Washers would be at the top of my list of things to cut.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM
staynedglass
2nd Gear
You can get the mini connected w/o the nav. I say do that. For the $750 that the nav costs it isn't worth it. My $100 garmin is a better nav system. I love my upgraded stereo though. I got the auto wipers. the regular intermittent is a joke. i didn't want a sunroof. I didn't want to have to deal with it in the future when(not if) it would leak. (plus it stiffens and lightens the car ever so slightly. (not having a sunroof i mean)

Do what you want be i seriously suggest not getting nav.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO

Xenons- great
Upgraded sound - not needed (The MINI is noisy at speed.)
DTC/ELSD - Needed if you are going to push your car to near the limits.
Sunroof - Never again
Seats - Sport for sure. Vinyl looks great for the price. The are perfect for the Pac NW
Auto Air - not needed (The controls are right there)
Wheels - Don't pay anything for upgraded wheels. Aftermarket is the way to go.

Bottom line - Get what you want.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Stu
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
For me I have to have heated seats.

I've just ordered a new Mini and Xenon's are an absolute must too. The light they give out is so much better than regular lights...plus they look cool.

Order the fog lights...$100...you don't have missing switch on dashboard...not sure about this model year but on older Mini's you'd also have the blank(s) on the back of the car too.

Last two Mini's we owned had the Sunroof....I personally like the airy look inside...never had issue with heat or cold that others reference...but on both cars the sunroof would struggle to open if it had been sitting in the hot sun (I guess the rubber surround heats up and sticks to glass). Decided for $$$ reasons not to order this time.

i like the dimming mirror options on cars, but it was a little expensive on the Mini... I think you need to order the rearview mirror and the side mirrors individually...so I have skipped this but I am questioning if I should add though....

Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
flanders621
1st Gear
For me the HK stereo was a must. I had the base system on my last Mini and there is a huge difference in my opinion. The xenons are great and while it may be a little frivolous, I really like the Auto A/C. I have Mini Connected without Nav and the features are really cool. However, it is something that I could live without. As far as Nav, my Garmin does just fine.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's what I'd keep:

Traction control -- Safety
Xenon Headlights -- Sight
Auto Climate Control -- Simplicity
Sirius -- Sanity

The rest is "gingerbread."

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM
schin
1st Gear
I think squawskibum is right on with the comment on the base stereo system. I too passed on the HK $750 option. IMHO the base system with some tweaking of the bass and treble controls sounds damn good by itself. The iPod adapter option is great to have since I usually listen to my iPhone. The radio comes standard with HD which also helps with the sound quality. Honestly, I just don't think the HK is worth the $750 especially if you are trying to cut options as I was. The base radio sounds great! And I am very picky on sound
Good luck

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
Can you add.....aftemarket OEM

Hi, I just wanted to check on a few things that I didn't get but would like to have and wondering if this is something that can still be added:

xenon headlights
garage door opening in visor
rear fog
driving lights

Thanks in advance

Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mini7096
Hi, I just wanted to check on a few things that I didn't get but would like to have and wondering if this is something that can still be added:

xenon headlights
garage door opening in visor
rear fog
driving lights

Thanks in advance
You can definitely add driving lights. Those are added at the dealer after taking delivery anyway. The rear fogs aren't too difficult to add.

Garage door opener is actually part of the rear view mirror. It's expensive to add afterwards and so are the xenons. Anything can be added, it's jut how much are you willing to spend?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynamic Traction Control - if you track or autocross your car it will burn through your brakes fast, if you don't track or autocross you will most likely never use it.

Adaptive Light Control - love it!

Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps - love it, but can also be a pain, cause you think it should come on and it does not and right before you push the button it comes on.

Retractable Headlamp Washers - really sweet but don't do much for bugs.

Xenon Headlamps - absolutely love

Automatic Climate Control - like it but could see not having it and screwing with the temp all the time.

Technology Package $2,500.00 The package on a whole , is a yes! but i broke it down by item. Still worth it.

Comfort Access System - this should be a standard item not an option, everyone needs this , they just don't know it.

Harman/Kardon Sound System
 - if you are an audiophile its a must

MINI Connected - pretty cool
Nav System - really neat but i could see not having it and using your smart phone

SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio - its a must for me, i can't stand listening to commercials.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been researching adding the rear fog lights - this seems like it can be a pain in the butt and much cheaper/easier to order on a new car. Option new is like $100, and people are paying more than that to have their computer programmed after installing the lights and switch themselves.

Last edited by Naylia; 01-16-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
I think if you can swing it get everything you want so you won't want anything else. It's great flipping through accessory catalogs and saying I already have that.

Navigation, auto lights, auto wipers, keyless entry and start, panoramic sunroof are all easy to get use to and easy to miss when your in a loaner car!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Velocityvic
I think if you can swing it get everything you want so you won't want anything else. It's great flipping through accessory catalogs and saying I already have that.

Navigation, auto lights, auto wipers, keyless entry and start, panoramic sunroof are all easy to get use to and easy to miss when your in a loaner car!
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
I am 3 weeks into my 2013 mini hardtop ice blue. My justa had to go in for a detail so i had a loaner for a couple days and what I can tell you is I am so happy I spent the money on the toffee lounge leather and premium package. I love the big 17" wheels and the DTC. I could feel the difference and the toffee lounge leather really makes the interior feels good and looks even sharper. The seats are a lot more comfortable. I like the openess of the panoramic roof. So my next mini will have those options and will probably add the S (not sure yet check back with me in a couple years) and Xenon lights. Other than that I would not change a thing. i love my mini. Right now I really like the punch on the freeway passing where I want the responsiveness to be a little tighter like the S but it still does a great job regardless. Also, the rental didn't have the Harmon Kardon nor automatic climate control and chrome lined. I could absolutely feel the difference. if I had to do it again and asked if I would chose options or power, think I would probably stick with the options because everytime I open the door I smile.

I know a lot of people have said on the forum that H/K doesn't sound different. I disagree. This was a 2012 loaner and I could absolutely tell the difference.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM
JTTMini
2nd Gear
Sunroof: an absolute must of you're daily driving. It opens up in cabin and makes you forget you're driving a small car.

Auto Climate: simplicity and sanity. It's in the 20's and 30's where I am, so I've got the temp. set to 78 and it's so much easier than fiddling with manual controls.

Cold Weather Pkg.: the heated seats are glorious in inclement weather, but the real story here are the power folding mirrors. No matter where I park , I fold them in. I've seen mirrors knocked off on the street, but also damaged from purses/bags in parking lots.

Leatherette: lounge leather is beautiful, but it's extremely pricey. The leatherette is nice enough and doesn't stain or absorb odor like cloth (so you can get sweaty at the gym and just wipe it up when you arrive home).

Comfort Access: not something on my car, since I bought used, but it was on my loaner the last time Baker was in for service and was so convenient!

Alarm System: yes yes yes! Again, not on my car, but the same loaner with comfort access. I just loved hearing the "beep" locking confirmation!

Sport Package: get the OEM wheels you want now instead of later! Also, this package includes xenon headlamps, which are a must (number one on my wish-list next time around).

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Comfort Access: someone was right when they said people don't know they need it!
Xenons: take a little getting used to but they rock.
Upgrade Stereo: Everyone's different. My wife never turns on the stereo in her car, I listen to most of my music in my car.
Sunroof: I rarely open it, but the extra light that it lets in changes the interior. I may not get it on my next Mini though.
Leather Sport Seats: mine still look brand new, and they're a lighter color.
Garage Door Opener in RV Mirror: I use it every day.
Auto Climate and Auto Wipers: Why not? Options are expensive on these cars. They added about 30% to the base price of my car. But they are what make these cars cool IMO. Cars like Mazda and Honda don't have many options at all.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
CooperS84
3rd Gear
My favorite item is my power folding mirrors.. South philly streets are small and while I may sound like a complete fat *** saying this: having to remember to walk around to fold the passenger side mirror would be a pain! I also love that they are heated!

2nd favorite item is the heated seats! So good in this nasty weather!

The one option I really hate is the auto rain sensing wipers... they get on my nerves! When it rains I manually turn my wipers on and off because i hate the noise they make after being on for a while!