R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Options that you love or hate

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Kimberlyfour
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options that you love or hate

So I am about to take the plunge and order my first Mini- a Hatchback S in ice blue with a white roof and white stripes! I think that I know what options I want, but the price of the car is getting scary and I am thinking that I need to cull some of them. But which ones? For some reason I really want the navigation. Seems to make the center dial more useful even though I know it is overpriced. I am hoping to get some feedback about these other options listed below that sound great, but perhaps some of them are not as useful? Anyone care to share who has them?

Dynamic Traction Control
Adaptive Light Control
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Retractable Headlamp Washers
Xenon Headlamps
Automatic Climate Control
Technology Package $2,500.00 Comfort Access System
Harman/Kardon Sound System
MINI Connected with Nav System
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio

Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice color choice!

I picked a lot of what you have.

Anthracite headliner looks great ands costs little.

I ultimately decided against MINI Connected ( and then splurged on the leather MINI Yours dash) but I understand your reasoning.

Love the Comfort Access and adaptive lighting on mine!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to be without the Automatic climate control. Its the one thing I've missed when I've driven a MINI without it.

Personally, I don't like the centre arm reset, so I've never got the MINI connected.

The one time I've driven a MINI with the Nav, I didn't like it. I found the iPhone with the TomTom ap to be more useful.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Climate control is a must
HK is a must
Heated seats are a must
Xenon headlights are a must

You might as well spring for a sunroof and get the premium package with it

My first Mini last year was pretty sparse with options - I traded on a loaded JCW - the options are cheap if you plan on keeping the car for 5 years or more and dividing the cost of those options over the years

Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
All of those options are pretty good. Like the others mention, Auto A/C is a nice feature, not an absolute necessity but very much worth it. I even like Sirius/XM radio, it's surprisingly nice to have such a large selection of music and talk to listen to.

Don't forget your anthracite headliner (as ljmattox mentions), and I would add Rear Fogs and White Turn signals. 3 great options that aren't too expensive but complete the look of your MINI.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
love or hate

I am on my second Mini amd both were bought off the lot. If I ever ordered one I would NEVER order the sunroof. I live in Lodi, ca. and its either too hot or too cold to use it and it let's too much light into the cabin when parked in the summer.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the heated cloth seats with the sunroof - the seem to be not too hot

Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Kimberlyfour
2nd Gear
Hey Masternut....... what is HK? Thanks everyone for all for the advice so far. I will consider the headliner even though it is adding rather than subtracting $$$$$.

Anyone have an a opinion about traction control?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man up... Xenons are the only thing on the list that are important.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 AM
kbyersobrien
1st Gear
HK is the Harman Kardon sound system.
I wouldn't bother with the Dynamic Traction Control. I've had two MINIs and just ordered my third. My first didn't have DTC but my second did and I've decided to forgo the option on my Roadster.
Option choices are very subjective, especially when it comes to altering the look of your MINI. For me, xenon headlights are a must because I feel safer being able to see the road ahead of me much more clearly (and they look gorgeous). I didn't bother with Adaptive Headlights because I don't do much country driving. I've always optioned Auto Headlights and Wipers, love that feature. Retractable washers are cool but unnecessary for city drivers. Auto Climate Control is a must for me, in terms of looks and functionality, it's better IMO. I didn't option Sirius mainly because I don't like radio, I just use my iPhone.
I had Navigation on my second MINI and I've optioned it again mainly because I like the seamless look and integration and reception for my iPhone's maps around where I live is a little iffy. I'd definitely option Bluetooth/USB as well if you haven't already.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
I would go add the prem package and see what that does, if I recall it will add HK radio (a MUST) and auto AC ( also a MUST). The non auto AC controls in a mini suck hard.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Kimberlyfour
2nd Gear
Bubble and Squeak, I would, but living in California I don't want the sunroof. which is on the premium package. Melangell, I agree that the Xenons are a must, but I don't have what it takes to man up, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
sumint
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kimberlyfour
So I am about to take the plunge and order my first Mini- a Hatchback S in ice blue with a white roof and white stripes! I think that I know what options I want, but the price of the car is getting scary and I am thinking that I need to cull some of them. But which ones? For some reason I really want the navigation. Seems to make the center dial more useful even though I know it is overpriced. I am hoping to get some feedback about these other options listed below that sound great, but perhaps some of them are not as useful? Anyone care to share who has them?

Dynamic Traction Control
Adaptive Light Control
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Retractable Headlamp Washers
Xenon Headlamps
Automatic Climate Control
Technology Package $2,500.00 Comfort Access System
Harman/Kardon Sound System
MINI Connected with Nav System
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
Obviously it's all subjective when it comes to optioning out your own MINI, but I would say Adaptive Light Control is pricey if you don't do a ton of night driving or have never had...I had it on an Acura I used to own and it was cool but nothing I miss one bit. Retractable headlight washers to ME just mean now the whole front of my car will be dirty if I ever use them or accidentally turn them on.

On the other hand I love love love and would not be able to do without my blacked out Xenons, Auto A/C, HK. I have the anthracite headliner and could live w/o it if I had to budget...but I do love how it changes the interior of car and makes it more cozy, warm and upscale feeling. Some things that I've had on multiple cars now and miss when they are not there are the auto headlights/wipers, SirusXM (I like ESPN and CNBC...the music channels are just so so for my tastes). I don't have the Nav or connected, but have had Nav in the past in other makes and really loved it, choose to forego it on the MINI for budget and since my Android with Waze app is the bomb in So Cal.

Good Luck on the build...I think I spent about 3 months on the MINI configurator adding and deleting hahahaha.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Just built the car you described on Configurator, I came up with $28,700. Is that what you came up with?

The packages were changed up a bit to include sunroof again.
I have 2012 model with all packages, black conical spokes, adaptive headlights, black headliner, cloth/red leather seats, rear fog lights...$31,750. I really like Nav, comfort access, and adaptive Xenons.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
mosherrskl
2nd Gear
Xenons rule

If you ever drive at night, you will really love the xenon lights. Those are the only things on your list I'd want. Not on your list is the cloth seats (they're no cost if you have the $250 sport seats). The free alternative is "leatherette" which is vinyl. Cold in winter and sticky in summer. Yuck.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My '05 Justa has this one feature that drives me bananas. It gives me this annoying, repetitive warning when I do 50km/h over the speed limit, or even if I accelerate too hard, or I'm tempted to race someone. It's called my wife in the passenger seat.

Try to avoid this feature cus it's pretty damn expensive to have and hard to get rid of. And when you have this feature, you can't do much in terms of mods to the rest of the car.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I took delivery on a 2012 MCS last May. Only one option, the Sport Package which brings 17" wheels, Xenons, and DSC.

I don't need Nav - I have it on my cellphone if I need it.

I don't need Bluetooth - I have a headset if I need to take a call, and I avoid cellphone use when driving anyway.

I don't need a built-in garage door opener button - it would be nice, but tucking the remote into the side door pocket works just as well.

I don't need headlight washers - it would be nice to have on the MDX for driving to Tahoe in the winter, but I wouldn't drive the Mini in those conditions anyway.

I don't miss auto climate control, though I have it in the MDX. The Mini's manual controls are nice and simple and easy to adjust.

I don't need the fancy stereo, the base sound system is very good, SiriusXM was included. I know there are some here who think it sucks, but I disagree. With a little tweaking of the audio controls it sounds great. I have been doing critical listening to audiophile home stereo equipment for 30 years so I know what sounds good, to me at least, though maybe my ears have been ruined by too much rock and roll. And the Mini isn't the quietest car anyway. So no need to pay big $ for a fancier sound system.

I don't need leather seats - I have those in the other cars and they are nice, but they get scorching hot in summer and freezing cold in winter so you need a seat heater. The black checker cloth seats don't get hot and sticky or freezing cold.

I kept it real simple - when the sales guy was going down the options list, the conversation was "do you want...." "No." "Ok, do you want...." "No." and so on. $24,600 total, and less stuff that can break.

My favorite option? Choosing the "S" model, when I hit the Sport button and mash my foot down on an on-ramp. Yee-hah! I went for a driver's car, not a living room on wheels.

I'll be spending the $ I saved on options (frills, in my opinion) for some aftermarket mods for additional driving fun, and track time.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 08-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Living in Minnesota and commuting a long distance, the HID and headlight washers are essential here. The morning and evening commutes are always in the dark with a nasty salt-spray. If I didn't have the headlight washers, some trips would require a stop part-way to clean them!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mechanical LSD! Best option ever.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
After owning 2 MINI's with a variety of options, the two options that seem to be a waste of money are:

*Sunroof -- Noisy when open (even in vent setting) and lets in too much heat on a hot day -- the shade doesn't work well.
*Automatic headlights -- eliminate this option and just leave the headlights on all the time and they go off when the car does.

My only "must" option is heated seats.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
love
xenons
bluetooth
heated seats

hate
leatherette (faux leather) seats
pano sunroof

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Mechanical LSD! Best option ever.
No longer available, replaced that with DTC, an electronic version of limited slip!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Kimberlyfour
2nd Gear
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I an still trying to decide but hearing your experiences helps.

My current car is a base model, so even having auto door locks is somewhat luxurious for me. That's why I am interested in actually getting options on this car. Last time around I was just trying to get a car for as cheap as possible and just the fact that it was new felt like a splurge.

On this car I was leaning towards the cloth seats, but recently started thinking that I should get the vinyl so that our dogs don't mess up the back seats, then get seat covers for the front. I take two 30lb dogs to the dog park a few times a week, so they will be frequent riders. I do agree that sitting on vinyl or leather isn't as comfortable as cloth. I actually hate it and it was a main reason that I didn't buy a car off the lot.

I'm still undecided about the DTC. I don't know that I need it if I'm not planing on racing, and I don't live in a snowy area.

I wish that the packages were more editable. I always seem to like most of the included items, then hate one of them. I like the sport- but don't want 17 inch tires. I like the technology but don't want Sirius. I like the Premium- but don't want a sun roof. Grrrr.

Mini is really fair in letting us pick so many options, but then they put weird restrictions on some things, like roof color, or if you pick velvet silver you can't get cloth seats. ????

Blind Dog, yeah, I'm close to that price. I really want cut it down.

Leaf Fan- Ive just opted your wife out of the package.

Last edited by Kimberlyfour; 08-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't have any of the options you listed, other than the upgrade stereo, which was important to me (though I got the sucky 2008 upgrade and feel ripped off.) I used to drive a Lexus with all the options, so I have a point of comparison of a well-optioned vs. a lightly-optioned vehicle.

Of the options I don't have, the only one I wish I had was Xenons. The rest is just pampering IMO.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't say that I'd skip any of the options you checked. I went a little overboard (see my sig for evidence) but I did skip the nav system. MINI connected wasn't an option for me at the time so it was a non-event there. I wouldn't skip the xenons and the headlight washers are a no-cost option, so that one doesn't really change things. A family member has adaptive xenons on their car, and I liked it a lot, but it's only worth it if you will be doing a lot of back-roads driving. Rain sensor is not all its cracked up to be...it needs to be set to ON every time you start the car. The auto headlights are good though, but again, not a necessary item. Definitely keep the auto climate control. The sat radio can't be added afterwards for a reasonable cost, so that one makes sense to add now (plus the year subscription included in the cost really helps to justify the price). I didn't see the HK radio on your list, but if you like your music and don't want to go aftermarket for a system, it's a must. I can't stand the MINI loaners with the base stereo since its such a difference to the HK in my car...can't wait to get out of em.

Quick Reply: R56 Options that you love or hate