R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 On the cusp of Justa ownership and could use a second opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the cusp of Justa ownership and could use a second opinion.

I've been wanting a Mini for the better part of a decade now, and I've had my eye out for a nice barely-used one for the better part of a year. I think I've found the one I want but before I take the plunge I figured I'd ask what everyone thinks of the deal I have in mind.

The Mini is a 2012 base model (I wanted the N16 engine) with around 7k on the odometer, it's been a service loaner at the dealership. It has the premium and cold weather packages, automatic transmission, and bluetooth/iPod adapter. The price we've tentatively agreed on is $20k. That seems like a pretty good deal to me, I am slightly concerned about the fact that it's a service loaner and therefore it's had not one previous driver but possibly dozens. But even if it's been driven harder than I would like, the car isn't even due for its first oil change yet. So is this as good a deal as I think it is?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Considering the way I've driven rentals and loaners... I'd say no. I'd assume people tried to see what happens if you're driving forward and put it in R. and practiced their J turns, and burn outs on a drivetrain they'd never have to pay for. PLUS I'm sure someone red lined it and drove it way too fast before the break in period.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Spooled
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leaf_fan_1988
Considering the way I've driven rentals and loaners... I'd say no. I'd assume people tried to see what happens if you're driving forward and put it in R. and practiced their J turns, and burn outs on a drivetrain they'd never have to pay for. PLUS I'm sure someone red lined it and drove it way too fast before the break in period.
Couldn't agree more. I took my loaner MINI to a track day! And with 7K on the odometer already, I'd be willing to bet "dozens" doesn't cover the number of drivers that have attempted to drive it. Considering you can configure a new one with the same packages for less than $24K, I'd definitely offer less than $20K if you really want it.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never buy a service loaner car, not only based on the way I drive them, but every car buyers guide says to avoid them as well. It's the long term damage that you have to worry about. It may look and run fine right now, but internal damage will show later. Especially at 20k for a justa no way!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
No more loaner MINIs for you three!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
No more loaner MINIs for you three!

My car is going in for body work in ten days. (Thanks, bad driver...)

Since I am bringing in a BMW product, I am entitled to a "premium" courtesy car for the week or more my MINI will be in the shop. It will be either a BMW or a Benz. I plan on driving it very conservatively.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Ummm... tough choice, kinda depends on your expectations, if the price is right and the warranty is right, and you can get back out of it in a year for not too many $$'s might be worth it. I drive loaners from time to time and treat them with respect since it would be such a pain to screw up... sure there are some terrorists who have the kind of single-digit maturity to jackass around 'just because it's a loaner' - I hope they are few and far between and the car is tougher than they are stupid.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phoxx47
Ummm... tough choice, kinda depends on your expectations, if the price is right and the warranty is right, and you can get back out of it in a year for not too many $$'s might be worth it. I drive loaners from time to time and treat them with respect since it would be such a pain to screw up... sure there are some terrorists who have the kind of single-digit maturity to jackass around 'just because it's a loaner' - I hope they are few and far between and the car is tougher than they are stupid.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies! I was a bit leery of the fact that it's a loaner, personally I've never driven a rental or loaner any differently than I drive my own car but I guess I'm in the minority. Or maybe Mini loaners just invite harder driving than Chevy Malibu rentals. Maybe I can get them to make me a deal on the Extended Motorer Protection and get the powertrain covered up to 100k miles.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
chiguy20002
1st Gear
When originally shopping for MINIs I looked at a few used Base Hardtops, anywhere from 2004 to 2009. I then looked at a brand new Base Hardtop 2012, and felt that for a few thousand more, I could have a brand new car, so I went with that one.

It is possible that the loaner has been well taken care of, but there is always a risk to buying used, even a loaner. I would see if they would throw in an oil change and an extended warranty for no charge, then it may be worth it. Otherwise, I would spend a bit more and get new.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Buckethead: I don't think that you're in the minority in driving a rental or loaner any differently, but then it also probably wouldn't take much thrash driving to cause excessive wear on a new car.

It could be that the car you're considering hasn't had such a hard life, but there's just no way to know for sure. Even a pre-purchase inspection by an independent shop that knows MINIs might not be able to detect excessive wear on a car with only 7k miles, but that still might ease your mind somewhat.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$20K for a used Justa, especially a loaner, is way too much. Heck, brand new ones start at $20.4K, and I'm sure you can talk them down on a new one, especially if it is on the lot. A couple of months ago I went to a MINI dealer looking for a used R50, and the salesperson offered me a $500 discount on any custom ordered MINI, without my even asking. For $21K you could probably get a brand new one with automatic and premium package. PS bluetooth/ipod is a standard feature on all justas now (even the base model).

Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
RoryRed
Neutral
Originally Posted by Buckethead
... I figured I'd ask what everyone thinks of the deal I have in mind.
You'll find no shortage of opinions here, most of them well informed.

As others have said... a 7k loaner is more like a 70k normally used car in my opinion. And for the same money... you could have a more traditionally used car and money left over for rapirs/upgrades... or not much more money for a new one.