R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 About to order my 2013 MCS - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Captain45
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to order my 2013 MCS - Questions

So I've been in the market for a Mini for a few months now. My current DD is a 08 M3. I love the car to pieces. Comfort, Power, Handling but I prefer it as my garage queen and not my DD.

What I found is that the M3 can handle so much more than what the city streets can provide. After I test drove a '13 MCS at the dealer I had a smile I couldnt get off my face. There is just something about being on the limits of grip at such low speeds that was addicting. I originally didnt want to spring for a new one as Ive heard about timing chain nightmares so I was looking at 05/06 years. After searching for ones that arent beat up I gave up.

But anyways enough rambling. I am looking at ordering:

Spice Orange w/ Black Top
6MT
Cold Winter Package
Sport Package w/ Black wheels and black bonnet stripes
Black Headlight housings

And heres the kicker, I don't know if I should get the Tech Package or not. I am trying to keep price low and I really don't have an Iphone or ever will (android fan) but I like the look of the screen and the comfort access is a plus.

What are your thoughts on the Mini Connected? I think I might like the screen for all the OBC info etc but I am not sure its worth the extra money. Anyone have any regrets going the direction they did?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Sorry to say but Mini Connected is basically a waste of money if you do not have an iPhone/ or plan on never getting one.

If you want the screen in the middle instead of the big speedo, you can get the Nav and just leave out the Connected feature.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Captain45
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Sorry to say but Mini Connected is basically a waste of money if you do not have an iPhone/ or plan on never getting one.

If you want the screen in the middle instead of the big speedo, you can get the Nav and just leave out the Connected feature.
How about the HK speaker system? Is it a huge upgrade over the standard?

Oh and if I dont get the Connected, Do I still get AD2P with the standard bluetooth?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have it and also have no desire for an I-phone, I find it was worth it and get plenty of compliments

you can get connected w/o nav but nav requieres connect

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I can't say how much better the Kardon system is because I have not heard the standard system.

And I did forget to mention if you have an iPod touch, I believe you can use the Connected feature by downloading the app on the iPod.
If not then the connected feature is useless, you
can't do anything without either an iPhone or ipod touch.

As for the Bluetooth music streaming, I don't think that's available for iPhone yet as we are waiting for the iOS6 update. It might work for androids...I'm not too positive about that one!

**note, I'm speaking of the Mini Connected feature and not the Mini Visual Boost display. I find having the screen much more pleasing then having the speedo taking up the space.

Personally the screen is awesome, and if you decide not to use the connected feature that's fine...everything else in the Visual Boost display more then makes up for that!

Last edited by NewCooperFanatic; 09-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM
wiseknight
Neutral
Just picked my MCS today. Bluetooth works fine with android. Use auxiliary input for music. Not sure about the Connected. Ridiculously fun in the turns.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Captain45
1st Gear
I can't say how much better the Kardon system is because I have not heard the standard system.

And I did forget to mention if you have an iPod touch, I believe you can use the Connected feature by downloading the app on the iPod.
If not then the connected feature is useless, you
can't do anything without either an iPhone or ipod touch.

As for the Bluetooth music streaming, I don't think that's available for iPhone yet as we are waiting for the iOS6 update. It might work for androids...I'm not too positive about that one!

**note, I'm speaking of the Mini Connected feature and not the Mini Visual Boost display. I find having the screen much more pleasing then having the speedo taking up the space.

Personally the screen is awesome, and if you decide not to use the connected feature that's fine...everything else in the Visual Boost display more then makes up for that!

With Android I can still use the screen for all the contact's and call lists, dialing etc etc though right?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Hmmm not to sure.....care to chime in on this wiseknight???

I know my girlfriends google phone shows up on the contacts etc.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
The standard sound system is poo.

After a year in my '12 MCS with the 'Boost' system, I finally cracked and ante'd up for the Integral Audio setup - there is a group buy on now. It's more than double the upgrade to the HK system (pricewise) at ~$2K when you include the sub, but all accounts say it is a huge improvement over both the 'Boost' and 'HK' systems.

Happy motoring! I had no idea how much fun the MCS could be - even after the test drive!
E

Last edited by Summons; 09-16-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Added word "sound" to first line of post for clarity.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:53 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
The HK system is very nice. No need for anything else unless audio is a hobby of yours and it's something you like to talk a about and tweek for fun.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain45
With Android I can still use the screen for all the contact's and call lists, dialing etc etc though right?
yes

Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM
fluteboi
2nd Gear
I have a ipod nano, and mini connected works with the nano. I can see album art, song title, control the nano via the car controls...etc. So I believe connected works with any ipod, not just the touch and iphone. You just don't have the connected app if you don't have touch or iphone.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
NoHoR56
2nd Gear
Coming off of four BMWs (525, 540, 645, 335) I got the most stripped down 2011 S I could. (Only option I got was Bluetooth for hands-free phone operation.) I love the car very much. I'm amazed at how much of the road feel (of my previous cars) that it has for the money. But part of my enjoyment of the car is the performance/value ratio of it. I paid $23K which is 1/3 of the 540 and 645. It's easy to load these cars up with features, which tilts that equation a bit. One thing to be aware of is the rigidity of the sports package plus run flats on a MINI. All of my BMWs had sports package but I'm glad I don't have it on the S. There's been a lot of complaining about run flats that I've kind of ignored (even having replaced MULTIPLE tires on the 645/335 for minor pothole hits) because I intentionally got smaller rims. However, I just got a MINI Justa loaner with low-profile but standard tires. I was stunned at how much better the ride felt. (Like the difference between riding on rubber versus plastic.) The sports suspension adds more to that stifness, plus you have a small wheel base. If you've already ridden that set up and are fine with it, ignore what I've said. But it's something to consider.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Captain45
1st Gear
Well I just placed my order. I was given a discount off MSRP to offset the extra cost of the Tech Package. I figure the screen will be nicer for viewing contacts and radio stations and OBC stats etc. Plus the HK and comfort access is nice.

Now I just have to figure out what to do for the next 6 weeks

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Prep your mod list lol

Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 AM
wiseknight
Neutral
Sorry for the late reply, but I have not fiddled with the Bluetooth beyond pairing. Definitely have a mod list though!