R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Corbeau Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
beam
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corbeau Seats?

I'm looking to swap out the stock sport seats that my 2010 Cooper S came with for a set of these Corbeau GTS II's

On their website they talk about the mounting brackets only being for the 02-07 Cooper models, but nothing about the 2008+ models.

Has anyone installed Corbeau seats on an R56 using the factory bracket? I can go take some measurements and follow-up with the manufacturer, but I was curious if anyone here has actually done it.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Why not save up and get the factory Recaros? The GTS II's don't look that much different than the factory sport seats. Their A4's seem more of a Recaro style.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I'm not of much help, I just wanted to say those seats are pretty cool!

Those Recaros from factory are only available with the heated seat option, so that's a downside in my eyes. Not to mention it would complicate the install...unless you don't hook anything up for the hot seats lol.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
beam
1st Gear
Originally Posted by texasmontego
Why not save up and get the factory Recaros? The GTS II's don't look that much different than the factory sport seats. Their A4's seem more of a Recaro style.
Got a link to the specific Recaro's you are talking about?
Generally speaking, I wanted to keep the cost down and these Corbeau's seemed to fit the bill.

My back doesn't get along well with the factory seats, regardless of how I position them

Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Well the factory recaros aren't going to be the cost savings way. They are high dollar. What about playing with the the lumbar support? I have to adjust mine all the time to fit my need (bad day, hard workout, etc.). You might be able to get a local trim shop to add some support and keep the factory seats versus going aftermarket and going through the hassle of installing the seats.
Don't forget the factory seats have the side airbags, so you would lose that safety feature.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM
beam
1st Gear
Well the factory recaros aren't going to be the cost savings way. They are high dollar. What about playing with the the lumbar support? I have to adjust mine all the time to fit my need (bad day, hard workout, etc.). You might be able to get a local trim shop to add some support and keep the factory seats versus going aftermarket and going through the hassle of installing the seats.
Don't forget the factory seats have the side airbags, so you would lose that safety feature.
Yep, I've tried all the adjustment that the seats have.
I've tried aftermarket seat cushions(which look ridiculous, but it was worth a shot) and I've even had the driver's seat reupholstered. It helped, but it's not great.

I don't get a sore back/leg from any other seat. I've driven other cars for 6-8 hour stretches without the same kind of pain I get from a half-hour in the Mini.

I'm sure I"m just getting old, but I'd like to fix it regardless

I'm not wild about losing the safety feature, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
That's a tough one, but I can see what you mean. I've driven vehicles that no matter what I do, I can't get comfortable in the seat. How do you know you will find comfort in those seats? Would hate to hear about you going through all that just to not be comfortable again.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Are you sure it's just not the bumpy ride? Even with non sport suspension I find the cars ride to be stiffer then most other cars.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I'm not of much help, I just wanted to say those seats are pretty cool!

Those Recaros from factory are only available with the heated seat option, so that's a downside in my eyes. Not to mention it would complicate the install...unless you don't hook anything up for the hot seats lol.
Where did you hear all of that? All of that is incorrect.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Where did you hear all of that? All of that is incorrect.
http://www.miniusa.com/#/build/configurator/minis-m

http://wot.motortrend.com/recaro-sea...ls-135733.html

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/11/...-as-an-option/

I asked my dealer and I got the same answer. I can post links all day if you'd like.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
beam
1st Gear
That's a tough one, but I can see what you mean. I've driven vehicles that no matter what I do, I can't get comfortable in the seat. How do you know you will find comfort in those seats? Would hate to hear about you going through all that just to not be comfortable again.
It's definitely a legitimate concern of mine. I'd hate to burn through over a grand in seats and be unhappy an hour later..
I've found a local retailer for the seats in question, so I'm going to go physically take a look at them and see what I think. It won't be the same as sitting in them and driving, but there's only so much you can do.
I'm hoping that since I've never had this problem in any other car, it's just these seats.

Are you sure it's just not the bumpy ride? Even with non sport suspension I find the cars ride to be stiffer then most other cars.
The ride is part of it, and I plan on fixing that in the next 10k miles when my run-flats are up for replacement, I'm not getting another set of those..

I'm hoping that there are little pieces along the way I can tweak to make it a bit smoother for me, without turning it into a Grand Marquis

Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
That is because those are the new ones. The ones prior to that are a lot better and easier to install.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
So we're both right. But if that's the case about earlier ones, then I imagine those are the ones in question.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yes, the new ones look like crap.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Just looked up the older versions, those are way badass. New ones do look like crap compared to those...I'd love those in my coupe!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by beam
Yep, I've tried all the adjustment that the seats have.
I've tried aftermarket seat cushions(which look ridiculous, but it was worth a shot) and I've even had the driver's seat reupholstered. It helped, but it's not great.

I don't get a sore back/leg from any other seat. I've driven other cars for 6-8 hour stretches without the same kind of pain I get from a half-hour in the Mini.

I'm sure I"m just getting old, but I'd like to fix it regardless

I'm not wild about losing the safety feature, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
How do you know that the Carbou seats won't bug you as well? I hate to say it but I'd consider a different car before I'd invest in a big seat swap that may not even solve the problem.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
beam
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
How do you know that the Carbou seats won't bug you as well? I hate to say it but I'd consider a different car before I'd invest in a big seat swap that may not even solve the problem.
Been down that road too, I'm afraid :(
If only the Abarth didn't feel like driving a cave...