R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 mcs k&n filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
lugi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 mcs k&n filter

hi, was wondering if anyone has installed a K&N pannel filter to a MCS r56, let me know your views and performance noticed?

also which blow off valve to install.... any ideas?

thanks

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+37 hp and awesome mpg increase! as far as bov, the loudest!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ps: That was total net. sarcasm. You wont notice a difference with the filter except maybe better mpg. Performance will come from engine tuning, Aftermarket parts i.e. filters exhaust will amplify the gains from the engine tuning but will not do that much a la carte. BOV, is a complete waste of money as you are venting metered air(also can cause cels). If you want to hear it, buy or make an open filtered intake and you will hear plenty.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
lugi
Neutral
Ok thanks i will keep on looking for upgrades
Thanks

Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
blakeslee_a
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lugi
hi, was wondering if anyone has installed a K&N pannel filter to a MCS r56, let me know your views and performance noticed?

also which blow off valve to install.... any ideas?

thanks
If you get the k&n typhoon intake system for about $200 you will kill two birds with one stone. It will give you a performance air intake, and you will hear your turbo build and dump boost about 50times more. Blow off valves are a waste of money and cause cels and actually worse performance because they dump everything to the atmosphere. With the k&n intake you can hear your turbo spool and a very loud woosh when it dumps. Many of my friends thought I got a BOV but I told them it was from the intake and they were very impressed

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We've had good luck with the K&N filters, and have some customers that prefer our dry panel filters. Both work fine and perform the same.

For the BOV you want the Forge to have the best.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-blow-off-valve.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 AM
sun2on99
Neutral
I installed a panel K&N filter on my R56 S. Performance wise, not much. Hardly notice. Fun factor wise, yes. I can now hear the turbo sucking air in and a louder boost dump sound from the stock BOV. But I want it even louder, so I recently ordered the 69 Typhoon intake. It should sound even better and more fun. Don't waste money on panel filter, go straight to Typhoon.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
K&N drop in panel filters won't do anything for performance or mileage. I've tried them in 3 different vehicles and never noticed anything except they are expensive. Just stick with the paper filters. I have the JCW tuning kit in mine and the cone filter that comes in the kit does make it sound pretty sweet.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 PM
LastoftheBreed
Neutral
Trial and Success

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
K&N drop in panel filters won't do anything for performance or mileage. I've tried them in 3 different vehicles and never noticed anything except they are expensive. Just stick with the paper filters. I have the JCW tuning kit in mine and the cone filter that comes in the kit does make it sound pretty sweet.
Just curious, if you tried them in not one but two vehicles with no success, why purchase another for yet a third vehicle when they are, in your own words, nothing more than an added expense? Again, just trying to appease my curiosity here. In this case I politely wish to disagree regarding this topic as well as the idea that oiled filters like the K&N are responsible for the destruction of MAF sensors as I've seen mentioned in other threads on this forum. I recently bought my wife her 2009 MCS and in addition to replacing the existing motor oil with Royal Purple racing synthetic, I purchased a K&N drop-in/panel filter. I've been using these filters for years and find them to be worth their weight in gold. The filter DOES yield measurable results at the pump and although they were not designed for massive hp increases as some seem to think they should, I have noted that in just about every case there has also been a somewhat-noticeable throttle response to accompany this improved gas mileage. K&N is a performance adder whether it be at the top end w a complete CAI for gear heads or the more tamed-down flat filters, they all have an impact on the performance of a vehicle, some larger than others (that's what she said). And a quick note on cleaning a dirty/oil-gunked MAF; I like to use aerosol brake cleaner as opposed to MAF/Intake cleaner. The brake cleaner leaves behind no residue when dry and when sprayed from approx 6-8 inches away from the wires, does well to remove just about everything w/o much manual intervention. Filter oil can coat an MAF in some cases and I've had to clean my fair share of TBs on some bigger motors because of it but I think the point here is that folks wanting to spend less and give their factory unit a bump (thats what she said) as opposed to spending more for a full CAI setup shouldn't be detoured from using this product simply because you felt the need for speed and a Typhoon later down the line in your own experience. Afterall, you tried it thrice did you not? Cheers!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
I have the K&N typhon intake. its cheap and sounds great. I recommend it for sure. in terms of hp i didnt really notice anything. just sounds cool and looks better then the factory box.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the K&N panel filter, it doesn't seem to add any performance but I do like the extra sounds! The BOV is definitely more audible now. I do seem to get pretty good gas mileage but since I bought it used and installed the panel filter like 2 days after, I never really got to compare gas mileage.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
K&N filters are a decent product.
I have ran them in a few performance vehicles over the years.

Might just try one in the 2011 MCS I just purchased this past Tuesday.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not use the CRC MAF cleaner?

Ya know, the right stuff for the job...

Brake clean can damage plastics and rubber parts. Especially on film type MAF sensors (versus the older hot wire designs).

I prefer paper filters. Oiled filters will gum on MAFs even when the filters are oiled to spec. (Which in turn also need to be cleaned with MAF cleaner).

The biggest gain from air boxes are the better sound... Which translates into a "it's louder, so it must be faster" mentality.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Why not use the CRC MAF cleaner?

Ya know, the right stuff for the job...

Brake clean can damage plastics and rubber parts. Especially on film type MAF sensors (versus the older hot wire designs).

I prefer paper filters. Oiled filters will gum on MAFs even when the filters are oiled to spec. (Which in turn also need to be cleaned with MAF cleaner).

The biggest gain from air boxes are the better sound... Which translates into a "it's louder, so it must be faster" mentality.
Dan,

Man that is actually a very true statement and it sure applies to LOUD exhaust.