R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hello folks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Mannylove
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks....

New 08 MCS Dark Silver owner here.....During my visual inspection of the vehicle, I noticed that the front sunroof screen was broken. I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced replacing it and/or if a DYI is available.
Thx in advance,
Manny

Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Mannylove
3rd Gear
Bump

Bump.
81 reviews - 0 replies.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you say broken you mean it doesnt roll back and forth or its ripped? I doubt anyone has actually encountered your issue. But..just looking at the mechanism the other day while I was dropping the trim panel I think you are likely going to need to drop the headliner to even get access to the "roll" part -- if you do in fact have to do this -- you should explore doing a non-transparent material that reflects heat. You haven't experienced summer yet but you can literally bake inside a mini during the summers. Our A/C doesnt work that well and combined with a greenhouse effect from all the windows it can become unbearable, many look at tinting the sunroof and there is a Zippee sunshade because of this issue. if you could build it into your sunscreen that would be a much nicer and well integrated design.

If you bought it from a dealer and can take it back and have them repair -- its going to be A LOT less work for you.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Mannylove
3rd Gear
Thx!

Thx for your response. I apologize for not being clear. My issue is that the actual screen on the right side came off of the metal part that recoils under the head-liner, therefore, the screen will retract on one side and the other does not. I'm thinking the whole aparatus (screen) needs to be replaced.
I've seen the other options you have mentioned. I just want to get that corrected. Also, I bought the car from a Non-mini dealer and I intend to take it to my local mini dealer to have them do the work and charge it to the folks I picked it up from.
Next time I'll post pics of my issue.
Manny