R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ordering a New R56 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordering a New R56 S

Hello everyone

I will be getting a new R56 S soon. I was at the Mini dealer by me and was looking for a Cooper S in manual. They had one and it was a CPO 2011. I took it for a drive and all tho it had many features I wanted it was still missing a few options. The sales guy stated they really don't stock the manuals since everyone around there wants an auto. I was also stated that the options I would want would basically be a order build. Im most likely going to place the order in January at some time once I get another necessity sorted out. He mentioned there changing the model to a 3cyl ( can't remember for what model ) if I recall and I want to make sure I get the R56 so Mini usually changes to the next model in August correct? With that said I would put down the deposit and then they would place the order, but do they find out what to finance before the order or after the car is at there dealer?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm this whole experience sounds odd. MINIs are one of the only makes left that still have a substantial manual transmission take-rate. Countryman aside, the other models were being ordered at a rate close to 50% manual transmissions. I got mine at Prestige MINI and they had plenty of R56's with manuals. Might want to try there if you're close enough to them.

The 2014 base MINI is supposed to have a 3 cylinder engine, but according to Motoringfile.com's reporting, this does not apply to the S and you're right, that would happen next fall. The financing will actually depend on the dealer and promo at the time. Some say that they won't be able to lock in the rate until the car arrives and others will honor the rate that is running at the time of placing the order. It's a strange process so you may want to shop around a bit.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Hmm this whole experience sounds odd. MINIs are one of the only makes left that still have a substantial manual transmission take-rate. Countryman aside, the other models were being ordered at a rate close to 50% manual transmissions. I got mine at Prestige MINI and they had plenty of R56's with manuals. Might want to try there if you're close enough to them.

The 2014 base MINI is supposed to have a 3 cylinder engine, but according to Motoringfile.com's reporting, this does not apply to the S and you're right, that would happen next fall. The financing will actually depend on the dealer and promo at the time. Some say that they won't be able to lock in the rate until the car arrives and others will honor the rate that is running at the time of placing the order. It's a strange process so you may want to shop around a bit.

I was at Prestige Mini and they only had one (JCW) when I was there a few weeks ago. I had a rather unhappy approach when there anyway. The sales person seemed unhappy. Apparently they just like to sell sell sell and being that I was looking into a new car a few months from now, I seemed to be a waste of there time. My questions were answered rather short and not nicely, and asking to see anything seemed like a bother. Im a nice guy and wasn't rude at all either, I even asked my GF if it was something I said and she stated when I mentioned I was looking to get a car in a few months, It went down hill from there. Needless to say I went to the other dealer by me and they were more than happy to help and let me test out the options I wanted in other minis on the lot to get an idea if I like it before I just ordered them on my wish list.

As for the finance I was hoping they will take my order and once it arrives then they will figure out the finance part. This way I will know what amount at the time of delivery I will have to put down to know the exact amount to finance. Maybe im just over thinking it but ive never ordered a car before haha.

Last edited by M'Cooper; 11-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Well I'm really sorry to hear that. If you like, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with my salesperson or some other sales people that I have dealt with at one of the other local dealerships.

The financing game with MINI is a bit of a pain when you order a car. I was only able to lock in a set finance rate with Prestige prior to taking delivery of the car. I had tried to purchase at Princeton MINI before I went to Prestige and Princeton could not lock in the rate. When my payment could fluctuate by $200 just based on the rate.

Hang in there and you'll get your MINI!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Well I'm really sorry to hear that. If you like, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with my salesperson or some other sales people that I have dealt with at one of the other local dealerships.

The financing game with MINI is a bit of a pain when you order a car. I was only able to lock in a set finance rate with Prestige prior to taking delivery of the car. I had tried to purchase at Princeton MINI before I went to Prestige and Princeton could not lock in the rate. When my payment could fluctuate by $200 just based on the rate.

Hang in there and you'll get your MINI!
I appreciate the offer and I will keep that in mind, I believe that I will place my order with the second dealer tho. The sales guy was very kind, honest and didn't give me the sales pitch like a normal sales person does not to mention helpful.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Glad to hear that you found a better second dealer. Good luck with the order. The waiting is the toughest part.