R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 Justa Cold weather starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:50 AM
raday
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Justa Cold weather starting

Warning: kind of a long post

I have read several posts on here talking about starting the Mini in cold weather. There has even been reference to some BMW method of starting in sub-zero weather. Most of the posts refer to the owners manual and say it says not to start the engine and warm it up before driving but to start and drive right away. There is even an expalanation that the computer is set up to work this way to allow for all the components to get up to temp and operate properly. There are even posts that refer to warming up the engine with no problems. As you can see it can be quite confusing. (Maybe I just have too much information overload)

Having said all that, being a new owner of a 2011 Justa, I don't want to mess up the engine. I have scoured the owners manual that I have and I can find no reference to Cold Weather starting. Can someone with a 2011 Justa please direct me to these procedures. We do not have extremely cold weather here in southern Virginia, but I don't want to cause any problems.

Sorry for the long post, but it seems that starting with the 2011 Model the engines changed and I was wondering how this has changed the Cold Weather starting procedures.

raday

Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Ryan89
1st Gear
From what I know, and this is for any car, not just a mini/BMW. Cars with computers/EFI etc, especially new ones do not need a warm up procedure. Let it warm up for 30 seconds to get the fluids in the car moving but other than that don't worry about it. Cars run better at their normal operating temperature and idling is the slowest way to achieve this temp. Best thing to do is drive and take it easy for a few minutes while the car gets up to temp.

The reason there is nothing in the Owners manual is because there is no such thing as a cold start procedure (to my knowledge) on newer cars. If we are talking carburated cars, that's a whole different story.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Start it up, and the sooner you start moving it in gear, the better. Motion in gear gets the oil where it needs to be. Driving very slowly is your best warm up. Idling in neutral is not.
Just baby it for a few blocks and keep the revs down. Idling cold is hard on the cylinders if the oil starts cold.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by raday
Warning: kind of a long post

I have read several posts on here talking about starting the Mini in cold weather. There has even been reference to some BMW method of starting in sub-zero weather. Most of the posts refer to the owners manual and say it says not to start the engine and warm it up before driving but to start and drive right away. There is even an expalanation that the computer is set up to work this way to allow for all the components to get up to temp and operate properly. There are even posts that refer to warming up the engine with no problems. As you can see it can be quite confusing. (Maybe I just have too much information overload)

Having said all that, being a new owner of a 2011 Justa, I don't want to mess up the engine. I have scoured the owners manual that I have and I can find no reference to Cold Weather starting. Can someone with a 2011 Justa please direct me to these procedures. We do not have extremely cold weather here in southern Virginia, but I don't want to cause any problems.

Sorry for the long post, but it seems that starting with the 2011 Model the engines changed and I was wondering how this has changed the Cold Weather starting procedures.

raday
Top left of page 45 for a 2011 Hardtop it says:
"Starting the engine
Do not allow the engine to run in enclosed
areas; otherwise, inhalation of the noxious
exhaust gases can lead to loss of consciousness
and death. Exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless, but highly toxic
gas. Never leave an unattended vehicle with the
engine running; otherwise, such a vehicle represents a potential safety hazard.
Before leaving the car while the engine is running, place the transmission in neutral or move
the selector lever to position P and forcefully
apply the parking brake to prevent the car from
moving.<
Avoid frequent starting in quick succession or repeated start attempts in which
the engine does not start. Otherwise, the fuel is
not burned or inadequately burned and there is
a danger of overheating and damaging the catalytic converter.<
Do not let the engine warm up with the vehicle
at a standstill. Move off immediately at a moderate engine speed.

When starting the engine, do not depress the
accelerator pedal."

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
raday
1st Gear
Thanks for all the answers. yietti96, I did find that information in my manual, but it is a Mini/Mini Convertible Manual on page 47. (That is the manual that was in my car, it is a used car). I kept missing the part about "Do not let the engine warm up with the vehicle at a standstill. Move off immediately at a moderate engine speed." Thanks for pointing it out. As I said too much information overload.

Thanks so much for all the help.

raday

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, I just assumed HT because statistically speaking I had the best chances.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
raday
1st Gear
No Problem, I do have the hard top, but the manual title is "Mini/Mini convertible". It was printed in 2011 so I am imagining it is for my car. Although in looking through it, it shows how to check my oil and shows a dipstick that is not my dipstick. The one in the picture shows a metal looking one with metal rings for high and low level........but I guess that has been discussed to death. I guess that one got past the editors of the manual.