R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Extended Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012 | 02:44 PM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Mini Extended Warranty Questions

I just purchased a 2013 MCS. I turned down the extended warranty during the sale, but the more I think on it, I may want to add it. I don't really car about the extended maintenance plan, I can do all the maintenance myself. I'm more worried about the actual warranty. Anyways, my question is two parts:

1. I called MINI and they told me I have 30 days to buy the extended warranty after my purchase (which has only been 4 days ago). Is this true? Or do I have any time within my factory warranty period?

2. Is the actual MINI extended warranty the best route to take? Or will I be better off calling up another company (suggestions welcome) and buying a warranty through them?

I would prefer to stick with going to the MINI dealer to have the car worked on down the road after the factory warranty. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the warranty plan picked. Or if all after market warranty plans have to be used at independent dealers. Just a thought. I appreciate the help.

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the search function, and I used it. Just looking for some additional information and discussion about the matter.

Old 12-14-2012 | 03:07 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Originally Posted by millerb7
I just purchased a 2013 MCS. I turned down the extended warranty during the sale, but the more I think on it, I may want to add it. I don't really car about the extended maintenance plan, I can do all the maintenance myself. I'm more worried about the actual warranty. Anyways, my question is two parts:

1. I called MINI and they told me I have 30 days to buy the extended warranty after my purchase (which has only been 4 days ago). Is this true? Or do I have any time within my factory warranty period?

2. Is the actual MINI extended warranty the best route to take? Or will I be better off calling up another company (suggestions welcome) and buying a warranty through them?

I would prefer to stick with going to the MINI dealer to have the car worked on down the road after the factory warranty. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the warranty plan picked. Or if all after market warranty plans have to be used at independent dealers. Just a thought. I appreciate the help.

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the search function, and I used it. Just looking for some additional information and discussion about the matter.
1) You should have until the end of the original factory warranty to buy either product (extended warr. or maint)

2) Yes, that is the best path. Aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. That being said, with the cost of that warranty, the money is better off in your bank account, as long as you don't spend it, it's there for when you need it.

Old 12-14-2012 | 03:30 PM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by amancuso
1) You should have until the end of the original factory warranty to buy either product (extended warr. or maint)

2) Yes, that is the best path. Aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. That being said, with the cost of that warranty, the money is better off in your bank account, as long as you don't spend it, it's there for when you need it.
Not so fast....I have an "aftermarket" extended warranty from Mercury for 48 months / 48Kmiles with zero deductible that ran me $2700 which covers everything except normal wearout items (tires, brakes, oil, etc).

I threw a valve two months ago that cost $3300 at an independant shop (can only imagine what the dealer would have charged) that was completely covered without any hassle. They did send an inspector the following day to approve the work but I had my car back in 3 days....they even covered the rental.

Personally I will NEVER bring my MINI back to the dealership....my experience has been all the horror stories you could think of. With the independant MINI shop I found I have recieved fantastic service, advice, and cost.

Old 12-14-2012 | 03:50 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SoCal MCS
Not so fast....I have an "aftermarket" extended warranty from Mercury for 48 months / 48Kmiles with zero deductible that ran me $2700 which covers everything except normal wearout items (tires, brakes, oil, etc).

I threw a valve two months ago that cost $3300 at an independant shop (can only imagine what the dealer would have charged) that was completely covered without any hassle. They did send an inspector the following day to approve the work but I had my car back in 3 days....they even covered the rental.

Personally I will NEVER bring my MINI back to the dealership....my experience has been all the horror stories you could think of. With the independant MINI shop I found I have recieved fantastic service, advice, and cost.
They are hit and miss, however I had one on my BMW 540i. Top of the line warranty and when I needed a new CCV the warranty company denied the claim, and I was out 500.00 bucks.

Old 12-14-2012 | 06:14 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
If you are a credit union member, you can probably get an EW from them at a very good price. I got one for my '05 E55 and paid $2100 for a NAC Pinnacle 4 year/50k $50 ded policy. Other resellers wanted at least $1500 more.

Another option is check with your insurer. I know Geico offers an extended warranty for those that buy brand new cars.

Old 12-14-2012 | 06:30 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
If you plan on driving the car past the initial period, strongly consider it. I was able to have the dealer replace a HK radio part that they would have charged me $2700 for. That was at ~80K. Or make sure it is transferable. Good selling point.

Old 12-14-2012 | 07:44 PM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
All valid points. Don't see any for sure stand outs on non-MINI warranties. I assume folks get the MINI warranty or none at all?

Again routine maintenance I can do myself, so I'm not worried.

I plan to keep the car about 7 years (the the goal). So around 100k miles. My 2006 325i had 117k when I sold it last week. Had the 100k warranty on it (CPO).

I understand parts are expensive. Things like water pumps, thermostats, etc i "can" do on my own (would be nice not to have to though). Major engine/turbo stuff I can't really do though. So that's what I'm most concerned about.

One person said bypass it and just save up. That's another option as well.

Keep the discussions coming. Good read so far. I'd love to hear more personal experiences.

Ill call MINI corporate on Monday and ask about the warranty period. If I have until my factory warranty is out ill but the MINI warranty really no questions asked. If I only have 30 days to decide that's a different ball game altogether.

More experiences on buying the MINI extended warranty after purchase of new vehicle?

Old 12-15-2012 | 06:51 AM
plaut
1st Gear
Like all forms of insurance, an extended warranty makes money for the company offering it, which means that chances are you'll to pay more for the warranty than what it will save you in repair costs. Of course, that won't be true for everyone, just true on average. In my view, insurance is for when you can't take the risk of catastrophic loss.

Old 12-15-2012 | 09:33 AM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
I view insurance as a way to avoid unforeseen expenses and to get things fixed when they occur. Too many times have I seen friends and family members drive their cars with "unusual" quirks that need to be fixed but they don't because of either no money or time. They figure "I can live with it" until the car stops running. Then they face a total financial meltdown.

I have five cars in my household all of which have third party extended warranties from Mercury via my Credit Union. For each brand of car I have an independent mechanic all of which will find out what the problem is and interface with Mercury....it's in his best interest to get them to pay or he may not make any money.

I have had at least one claim for each car and with the exception of my F355, all of the repair costs have exceeded the warranty cost. But I don't let little things grow into big things, I get it fixed pronto.

So for me the extended warranty program works and pays for itself....also the dealer will always give you a hassle about a third party EW as they don't make money on the front end...but they will take it.

Old 12-15-2012 | 11:57 PM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
So any more word on when you can add the MINI extended warranty? Does it have to be within the 30 days or just factory warranty?

Still debating on it. Ill hit the 100k way before 7 years. Probably in 5 years. So not sure if it'll be worth it or not for me. Or just stick some money in the bank starting now for down the road. Luckily I'm the type that will stick the money away and never touch it until I need it for the car. I won't "magically" spend it in the mean time. And if I start putting some in a little fund now for that long out maybe I'm better off doing that vs the warranty.

Decisions decisions.

Old 12-16-2012 | 01:45 AM
Traprock
2nd Gear
I just went in with my Countryman all4 that is a year old and has 30K on it and they said no problem to adding the extended as long as I havn't already gone past the factory warranty so I still have time.

Old 12-16-2012 | 05:28 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I bought my MINI pre-owned off-lease from a GMC/Buick dealer with 20K on the clock and a year to go on the Factory Warranty (which I used to the tune of about $4k getting things right). I purchased a GMAC extended warranty from the dealer I bought the car from (good anyplace) for peace of mind (EOM sale also got me a very good deal). Had I purchased from a MINI dealer, I probably would have purchased theirs.

I've never been a fan of extended warranties, but I intend to keep this car well past the factory warranty term. Plus, my daughter's recent experience with her Mazda convinced me Extended Warranties aren't so bad after all... if they are from a Top Shelf company.

BTW: MINI says you can buy the warranty anytime as long as your car is currently under Factory Warranty. The salesman was either misinformed... or just being a salesman.

http://www.miniusa.com/learn-warrant...ngProtection-m

Old 12-16-2012 | 07:44 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Interesting to know. If that's the case I have some time to think it over. I may end up getting it if that's the case.

I'll still probably call MINI USA to get a verbal okay on that though because I'm just overly **** about that.

Originally Posted by Traprock
I just went in with my Countryman all4 that is a year old and has 30K on it and they said no problem to adding the extended as long as I havn't already gone past the factory warranty so I still have time.
Originally Posted by pmsummer
I bought my MINI pre-owned off-lease from a GMC/Buick dealer with 20K on the clock and a year to go on the Factory Warranty (which I used to the tune of about $4k getting things right). I purchased a GMAC extended warranty from the dealer I bought the car from (good anyplace) for peace of mind (EOM sale also got me a very good deal). Had I purchased from a MINI dealer, I probably would have purchased theirs.

I've never been a fan of extended warranties, but I intend to keep this car well past the factory warranty term. Plus, my daughter's recent experience with her Mazda convinced me Extended Warranties aren't so bad after all... if they are from a Top Shelf company.

BTW: MINI says you can buy the warranty anytime as long as your car is currently under Factory Warranty. The salesman was either misinformed... or just being a salesman.

http://www.miniusa.com/learn-warrant...ngProtection-m

Old 12-16-2012 | 08:02 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
MillerB7, be advised that the price of the extended maint plan goes up every year and you pay the current price not what you would have paid had you bought when new.

Old 12-16-2012 | 12:02 PM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
MillerB7, be advised that the price of the extended maint plan goes up every year and you pay the current price not what you would have paid had you bought when new.
Any idea the pricing? Or how much it goes up by each year? There any type of reason to this mess or is it kind of random on the pricing?

I'm fixing to call them in the morning (MINI USA) but thought someone with experience could shed some light.

Old 12-17-2012 | 07:12 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
$1795 as of today. I can't remember what it was two years ago but it wasn't quite as much. I was told at MINI of Charleston that it is due to go up again.

Old 12-17-2012 | 09:41 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
So I called MINI USA (well BMW USA) and they told me that the only cutoff for the warranty is 7 years and 80,000 miles. He couldn't really share any pricing information with me... which is what I was mainly after.

I'm really wanting to know if there is a difference between buying the warranty today (with 200 miles on the car) or with 30,000 miles on the car (still within the factory warranty).. I assume the difference shouldn't be that much since it's still factory covered. Now, outside 50,000 miles (the factory warranty drops) I assume the price increase goes up quite a bit.

This is the information I'm after... I'll be giving the dealer a call to see if I can pry any more information from them... but last time they told me I only had 30 days (which is incorrect).

Now BMW USA did tell me that they sell the warranties to each dealer for different prices, and then the dealers have their own markup on them... so the pricing will be different really dealer to dealer.

Anybody know where to find the Invoice pricing on these warranties?

Old 12-17-2012 | 10:38 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Awaiting a call back from my BMW/MINI dealer. I asked them to give me the price difference between buying the warranty today (with about 200 miles on car) or waiting about 6 months and purchasing it (WELL within the factory warranty of course). Then to get a 3rd price if I waited until my factory warranty expired.

Once they talk to the finance guy (who was out to lunch) they are suppose to get back to me.

Old 12-17-2012 | 12:05 PM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
If your intent IS to buy the warranty in 6 months and there is a price difference between buying it now, I would just make payments for 6 months....work out the price so there is no interest.

Old 12-20-2012 | 06:43 AM
ckarlovich
Neutral
Picked up my 2013 MCS at the Mini Dealer yesterday. they gave me Extended Service Program prices. the forms are on Dealership letterhead so i am not sure if this is MINI coverage or if it is some other company this dealer uses. i will call him back today. The XL Extended Service PRogram for 96 months or 100,000 miles with $50 deductible was "on sale" till the end of the month for $2195, regularly priced at $2695. the MINI Maintenance Program , all scheduled maintenance up to 72 months or 100,000 mile was $1795. Also on this form, Custom Shield (clear bra) for $995, Tire and Wheel for $1049 (with no details as to mileage or years) and PolySteel which provides $250 of Paintless Dent Repair with 6 year warranty for $499 (huh?). i am looking into the MINI warranties which is hard to do, there are no prices online. He did tell me if i wanted the XXL Extended Service which would then also include Navigation and Audio components it would be $3900!! yikes.
after seeing how complicated the Technology on these cars is, i am scared NOT to get some kind of extended service.

Old 12-20-2012 | 10:12 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
You know I'm coming from a 3 series (suppose to be impossible to work on). I'm just a weekend warrior, no real experience as any type of mechanic (I do website design).

I can easily change brakes, most all fluids, all filters, wipers, etc. so to me the maintenance
Plan is kind of a waste. It's WAY cheaper to buy the parts and do it yourself.

I also replaced my water pump and thermostat on my 3 series so I can do some other stuff too, but my fear is a catastrophic failure to do with engine which I can't fix myself. That's the only reason I'm considering the XL warranty plan.

Don't be scared to do routine stuff on those cars, they are just like any other car out there.

Old 12-20-2012 | 10:16 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Well the prices you listed at the exact price of the 3rd party from the dealer I contacted. If those are for MINI warranty that's a great deal. Better than I found of the 7-8 dealers I called.

See my warranty pricing thread on the 1st page of that listed threads on this forum.

Originally Posted by ckarlovich
Picked up my 2013 MCS at the Mini Dealer yesterday. they gave me Extended Service Program prices. the forms are on Dealership letterhead so i am not sure if this is MINI coverage or if it is some other company this dealer uses. i will call him back today. The XL Extended Service PRogram for 96 months or 100,000 miles with $50 deductible was "on sale" till the end of the month for $2195, regularly priced at $2695. the MINI Maintenance Program , all scheduled maintenance up to 72 months or 100,000 mile was $1795. Also on this form, Custom Shield (clear bra) for $995, Tire and Wheel for $1049 (with no details as to mileage or years) and PolySteel which provides $250 of Paintless Dent Repair with 6 year warranty for $499 (huh?). i am looking into the MINI warranties which is hard to do, there are no prices online. He did tell me if i wanted the XXL Extended Service which would then also include Navigation and Audio components it would be $3900!! yikes.
after seeing how complicated the Technology on these cars is, i am scared NOT to get some kind of extended service.

Old 12-20-2012 | 11:17 AM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
I had a BMW without the radio extended warranty. Water got into the radio system and blew apart a whole lot besides the radio (in the trunk area). Total cost was going to be close to $5k. Electronics in these cars are going to be expensive to fix and can cause other failures that are seemingly unrelated but still tied in to each other.

The maintenance vs warranty (extended protection) is going to be based on how long you'll own the car and how much driving you'll do in that time period.

Personally, I'd only go for a manufacturers maintenance/warranty and get the best price I can. Forget 3rd party, they are a hit and a miss. When my Bimmer was under contract i'd drive in, pay the deductible and drive out...total peace of mind.

Also note, the prices at MINI are divided into two categories
Cooper: Cooper, Convertibles, Clubman and Countryman
ALL Others: JCW, All "S" vehicles.

Now, to credit some good research by fellow NAMmers:

Scooter09 published the actual price listat:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ing-hosed.html

AND,

millerb7 shows the best discounts I've seen at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-pricing.html

Old 12-20-2012 | 12:08 PM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorWorf
I had a BMW without the radio extended warranty. Water got into the radio system and blew apart a whole lot besides the radio (in the trunk area). Total cost was going to be close to $5k. Electronics in these cars are going to be expensive to fix and can cause other failures that are seemingly unrelated but still tied in to each other.

The maintenance vs warranty (extended protection) is going to be based on how long you'll own the car and how much driving you'll do in that time period.

Personally, I'd only go for a manufacturers maintenance/warranty and get the best price I can. Forget 3rd party, they are a hit and a miss. When my Bimmer was under contract i'd drive in, pay the deductible and drive out...total peace of mind.

Also note, the prices at MINI are divided into two categories
Cooper: Cooper, Convertibles, Clubman and Countryman
ALL Others: JCW, All "S" vehicles.

Now, to credit some good research by fellow NAMmers:

Scooter09 published the actual price listat:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ing-hosed.html

AND,

millerb7 shows the best discounts I've seen at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-pricing.html
I personally am not interested in the maintenance as I can do everything it covers minus 1 item (the big ticket item) the clutch.... but it only covers ONE clutch (obviously you shouldn't need more than that) and if they deem it's due to wear and tear not caused by driver, they'll cover it... that's a big IF to me. Brakes, oils, filters, fluids, etc I can do myself.

As far as my pricing... it was the cheapest I found in the 8 or so dealers I called within a 200-mile radius of me. He only asked that I snapped a picture of my odometer to send to him to prove I'm still in warranty (my car has less than 400 miles currently)... but I think I'm going to wait until mid-next year to purchase it from him.... just to save up a little cash. Obviously the question arises why can't I just snap the odometer of a newer car and get my car covered... this is part of the reason I did not list the contact info to the dealer. He's operating off of actual trust that my car has the miles I say it has. To me, that's kind of a rare thing nowadays.

He was a SUPER nice guy... I was more than impressed with talking with him on the phone. He sounded to be in his low-30's or so by his voice... but super nice.

Old 12-20-2012 | 01:58 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Your research is much appreciated.

With "Non-attribution policy in effect" I'll throw these numbers in during the negotiation process when Cocoa arrives next month

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Extended Warranty Questions