R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW Engine Tune Kit 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The MINI build page list the base price for a JCW as being $6800 more than an S. That was enough to keep me from getting it. But you are right about the being at the mercy of the deal for add-ons. One problem I have with the full JCW is having to use 17" wheels. These would be a disaster here in the NE in the winter with the potholes and the harsher ride than the 16s on the S.

I am basically with you on MINI parts vs 3rd party as for being engineered/matched to the car. However, it may be a little harsh to say they all are inferior, but you do need to pick and choose carefully as you can definitely "miss the mark" if you are not careful.

There are some tuning options but they all involve a bench tune (eg: mail your computer to someone) and likely you will lose your warranty. This JCW upgrade seems to be a good compromise, especially with the warranty.
Where do you get the $6800 premium price from? On the MiniS, add $3000 for the aero and interior, then add $2600+ for the tune kit, then add $1300+ for the Brembo kit. For me at least, it's a no brained de for the factory JCW. Just my opinion of course. By the way, for the guy that doesn't want the JCW suspension, it does not come with even the Spot suspension unless you pay for it and order that option.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
However, how do you get the tune installed once you buy it? Don't you have to go to the dealer and why would they install it?
The kit has to be dealer installed because it includes a software change. For the 2011 and newer cars with the N18 engine, the JCW kit also comes with a new exhaust manifold. That is what causes the higher install costs.

I was somewhat apprehensive about the exhaust noise before I had the kit installed on my 2011 Clubman, and have been pleased with the result. At steady speeds, I think it sounds about the same inside the car - no loud drone or buzz. Spirited acceleration does wake it up though!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and had this installed, the dealership was great as usual and I even got a countryman as a loaner (wooo!).

Definitely a nice difference with the kit both in power and of course exhaust tone, it's pricey but to me it was worth it. Loving driving it around, it's like a whole new car.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Where do you get the $6800 premium price from? On the MiniS, add $3000 for the aero and interior, then add $2600+ for the tune kit, then add $1300+ for the Brembo kit. For me at least, it's a no brained de for the factory JCW. Just my opinion of course. By the way, for the guy that doesn't want the JCW suspension, it does not come with even the Spot suspension unless you pay for it and order that option.
I only went to the MINIUSA web page..."S" msrp - $24000, JCW msrp - $30,800

difference $6400.

That is before the JCW suspension which is $1416 and about $1200 for the installation.

But that gets you The Full 208 hp, stronger engine parts and larger turbo.

But (again) I just trying to make the point that if you buy an S, add the sport suspension and the JCW (197 hp) upgrade, dollar for dollar, is a better deal. Also, the Brembo brakes are lost on me as the required 17" wheels are unusable (well, at least not practical) around here in the winter time with the pot holes and what not.

BTW - Has anyone done a before and after dyno test of this kit?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RubiconX
I finally pulled the trigger and had this installed, the dealership was great as usual and I even got a countryman as a loaner (wooo!).

Definitely a nice difference with the kit both in power and of course exhaust tone, it's pricey but to me it was worth it. Loving driving it around, it's like a whole new car.
How long did the dealer take to install the kit? Was it about $3k to get this kit done? Did the kit include the exhaust tips?

Thanks for chiming in.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coop-a-Loop
How long did the dealer take to install the kit? Was it about $3k to get this kit done? Did the kit include the exhaust tips?

Thanks for chiming in.
It was about $2500, no tax here so that helped. My install took 2 days but only because they had an issue getting the codes, otherwise it would have been about 3-4 hours.

The kit did come with the etched JCW tips, very cool looking

I'm not sure yet if I like how the tips are sitting, they're flush with the bottom of the bumper opening but it might look better out another inch or so. I'll have to take a picture and see if its what others have.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
The M People
1st Gear
It was about $2500
Is that just the tune kit or labour ? Or tune kit and labour together ?
Thanks.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn $2500 that is water/meth, tune, exhaust money.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Damn $2500 that is water/meth, tune, exhaust money.
Worth (almost) every penny to me.....guarantee + resale value...JCW is the way to go for me. Ah, I can hear that JCW exhaust roar now.......

Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by The M People
Is that just the tune kit or labour ? Or tune kit and labour together ?
Thanks.
That was the kit + labor.

I know lots of people wonder about getting this kit over the factory JCW or aftermarket parts. For me the factory JCW would be way more because of the incentives that were running when I bought mine plus I personally prefer the looks of the standard bumpers over the JCW with the exception of the side skirts. So even with this kit I could upgrade the brakes and get side skirts and still be well under the cost of the factory JCW, so it's hard to justify.

You could definitely get better performance for less going aftermarket but I like having the warranty and not having to deal with issues if they pop up, just drop the car off and get a loaner so there's no impact to work or personal life. I also like the JCW parts so its a bit more money but very happy with the results.

I drove around awhile today and the power gain is very noticable, exhaust tone is still great and I like hearing the blow off valve now...big bonus was that the exhaust tone passed the wife test, she wasn't annoyed by it or giving me crap about it sounding like a "ricer"

Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Does it still have the pop and burble in sport mode?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
If it were me, I would spend the extra money on an actual JCW or if it's a n14 engine save your 3k and spend $900 on an Alta AccessPort, new CAI and exhaust. That all costs less than 3k for the tuning kit.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Does it still have the pop and burble in sport mode?
Good question, I thought I heard it a few times but I wasn't paying attention for it to be certain. I'll see if I can confirm that tomorrow.

My understanding is the pop and burble is an ECU programmed thing so hopefully it's part of the new ecu code they throw on.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW - Has anyone done a before and after dyno test of this kit?
It's tough to find much on dyno testing with this kit since the people who will typically dyno-test, are the ones going for the aftermarket tunes to get the max hp. That being said, I recall reading somewhere here that one of the dyno tests that were run showed that the advertised hp of the tuning kit is actually conservative and puts out similar power to the factory JCW.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
I confirmed that the pop and burble is still there!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Confirmed here as well.

--Matt

Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
It's tough to find much on dyno testing with this kit since the people who will typically dyno-test, are the ones going for the aftermarket tunes to get the max hp. That being said, I recall reading somewhere here that one of the dyno tests that were run showed that the advertised hp of the tuning kit is actually conservative and puts out similar power to the factory JCW.
Neat

WoooHooo

Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
The M People
1st Gear
That was the kit + labor.
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Babazz
Neutral
Hello, where in SoCal are you and where do you find JCW tuning for a 2013?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM
flredmini
3rd Gear
Thinking of getting the JCW upgrade kit for my 2011 R56 S. Is the kit "all or nothing" or can you pick and choose what upgrades you purchase? If my Magnaflow exhaust is compatible with the JCW tune, I can live without the JCW exhaust. I am interested in the intake and the tune. Does the kit include any suspension upgrades? I have the Mini Next warranty, so I don't want to do anything that would void that.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by flredmini
Thinking of getting the JCW upgrade kit for my 2011 R56 S. Is the kit "all or nothing" or can you pick and choose what upgrades you purchase? If my Magnaflow exhaust is compatible with the JCW tune, I can live without the JCW exhaust. I am interested in the intake and the tune. Does the kit include any suspension upgrades? I have the Mini Next warranty, so I don't want to do anything that would void that.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-joh...-for-2011.html

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flredmini
The kit is sold as a package, but that doesn't mean that you can't work out an arrangement with your shop to install just some of the pieces. The most work on installing this kit is for the new exhaust manifold; the intake is simply a replacement air filter and housing. Your Magnaflow should be fine. This kit only mods the engine; suspension is untouched (that's a different kit). As this is a MINI-sourced kit, your warranty remains in effect.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Kevlar7R
2nd Gear
I just did this kit on my 2010. Love it!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ot-to-buy.html

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Mountie
Neutral
Just thought to share my experience in trying to investigate about the JCW Tuning Kit for 2013 MCS models.
Whilst the Mini USA website still shows the prior 2011 MY tuning kit, even when you specifiy to look for the 2013 model kit, my dealer informed me today, that the 2013 kit has just been released a few weeks ago for the US.
I have always been under the impression, the kit including installation is soemwhere between 2,500 and 2,800 USD, based on 4 hours of labor.
When I recently talked to the tech of the Mini Dealership, he mentioned he had to disassemble basically everything in front of the motor, I was already wondering how that can be done in 4 hours.
After the aftersales guy checked today again, he confirmed that the installation of the 2013 kits is some 1,100 USD without parts. Although I would get 10% off the parts, this makes it 3,800 USD installed, at least 1,000 USD more than I expected.
I was told, that due to a new exhaust manifold being part of the kit, the turbo neds to be removed and new gaskets installed. To be able to replace the exhaust manifold, many parts have to be removed (logically).
So, here I am, I was ready to order the kit and installation this morning, but with 1,000 bucks above what I thought, I am re-considering now. It really bugs me, as I should have gone for the JCW ex factory straight away. I would now have to spend quite a bit to not even have the full horsepower of the factory JCW, yet, the exhaust note and the few additional horsepower are still tempting!
So, either the dealer strikes me a deal to get me closer to 3,000 bucks or I save the money and wait for the next car, then straight away the JCW version!

P.S. I am very happy with my MCS as such, but I made the big mistake to test drive the JCW ... and now I know what I miss ...

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM
sycd
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That kind of money for such a small gain is a rip off, and your car is still going to be pretty slow at the end of this process. Save the money toward a new faster car

Quick Reply: R56 JCW Engine Tune Kit 2013