R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW turbo vs the others

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW turbo vs the others

I'm looking to buy an uprated turbo. I don't know much when it comes to this subject so any help is much appreciated. Before suggestions are thrown out here is what I am and am NOT looking for out of my MINI. I have a JCW engine with the standard MCS turbo as is usual. I'm not looking to see how much power and boost I can throw into the 1.6L.

I'm not looking for a drag MINI (something that is quick traffic light to traffic light). What I am looking for is a good amount of torque for very quick and powerful accerlation out of turns and corners. I have an AEM CAI, performance exhaust, and Helix FMIC on the way. Also on the way is a performance clutch and flywheel. Before I buy an uprated turbo I will buy a new LSD so what ever power I'm put out when I run a stage 3 tune or something I will be able to plant the power.

Now I know there are people who have tuned a JCW turbo with some success, but I have not heard of any numbers and figures, pros and/or cons. I don't want to drop an ATP GT28RS turbo as I have heard those are a nightmare to tune and can be around $2K-4K extra just to get it working halfway well. What I'm looking for is a relatively easy/direct swap install, good tuneability, and quality. Alta's turbo was attractive to me but it is not on their website and I fear it may not come back.

Any help and advice (maybe some pro and con stories and experiences) would be much appreciated.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You already have the JCW turbo, get that tuned and you will have plenty of torque.

Oh and read this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...101-103-a.html

and look at this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gen-dynos.html

There you go all the info you will need.

Edit: Ok, I cant let it go.
I'm not looking for a drag MINI...What I am looking for is a good amount of torque for very quick and powerful acceleration
You realize what you just said here? Please don't be one of those people that dump a ton of money into there car just to make it "fast". In the end it will still be a Mini, and for the money you would of been able to buy a much faster car. Alas, not saying you are a bad driver, but if you want to be faster in and out of corners go get some training. It will make you faster then dumping any amount of money into your car. My advice, learn to drive a slow car fast. Then when you upgrade you can drive a fast car faster.

Last edited by MNIPWR; 01-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My favorite answer about going fast too. Excelling at the track isn't too popular around here is as being a street warrior.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a question, you have a JCW engine and a MCS turbo? Why would you do that?

Anyway, I hear that Alta's reworked JCW turbo is pretty good.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
I'm pretty sure he has the JCW turbo. He's just clueless as to the difference. I base this off him saying "as usual" at the ends of that sentence.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
It's a JCW engine (and what I think may be a MCS turbo) because I blew my engine due to a mechanical fault. My car was just a standard MCS. The dealership offered to replace the motor for free, but I just decided to pay the different between the MCS motor and the JCW. The service sheet shows a new turbo installed but it doesn't specify "JCW" as the engine does on that piece of paper. I have an oil change coming up so I'm asking about it then. If it does turn out to be a JCW turbo? How do I go about modifying the turbo itself?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
It's a JCW engine (and what I think may be a MCS turbo) because I blew my engine due to a mechanical fault. My car was just a standard MCS. The dealership offered to replace the motor for free, but I just decided to pay the different between the MCS motor and the JCW. The service sheet shows a new turbo installed but it doesn't specify "JCW" as the engine does on that piece of paper. I have an oil change coming up so I'm asking about it then. If it does turn out to be a JCW turbo? How do I go about modifying the turbo itself?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Ok, If you wan't info answer this question without contradicting yourself. What would you like to do with the car? What do you not want to do to the car?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
You already have the JCW turbo, get that tuned and you will have plenty of torque.

Oh and read this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...101-103-a.html

and look at this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gen-dynos.html

There you go all the info you will need.

Edit: Ok, I cant let it go. You realize what you just said here? Please don't be one of those people that dump a ton of money into there car just to make it "fast". In the end it will still be a Mini, and for the money you would of been able to buy a much faster car. Alas, not saying you are a bad driver, but if you want to be faster in and out of corners go get some training. It will make you faster then dumping any amount of money into your car. My advice, learn to drive a slow car fast. Then when you upgrade you can drive a fast car faster.
Is there a problem with wanting a fast MINI?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 AM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Is there a problem with wanting a fast MINI?
You missed the point.