R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 aaaaack! another lowering question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aaaaack! another lowering question!

Want to lower my 2011S. I went off run flats, and went with 205/50-16, which are slightly shorter than the stock size, so now the gap is even worse, of course.
This is cosmetic only...no track time. With that being said, I want to keep the ride as close to stock (or better) as I can.
So, after reading zillions of posts, and all sorts of conflicting ideas, opinions, and commentary on this site, I THINK I have it narrowed down to a couple options:
1. TSW springs. I've had these before, on my 2010, with Koni. They were OK, but not very low.
2. NM springs. Are these really 1.2 lowering? I read different things.
3. H&R Touring cup Kit. Again, lots of conflicting posts about these, but I read they ride ok.

If I go springs, it would probably be JUST springs, no shocks, at least at first. The budget is tight, and the wife likes her shoe shopping. This is my daily "beater" car, and I'm not real keen on spending a lot for a complete, adjustable coilover set. Just want it lower, and livable.

I would be using Camber Arms in the rear in all cases.

Thoughts? New opinions? Keen insights? Think budget and old tired *** that would rather keep the ride civil.
TIA

Last edited by vicj; 01-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
I think h&r has the lowering springs for about $250ish. They lower about 1.4" or M7 has some lowering springs for about the same price. They won't make you look like some young yuppie either. Stiffness will remain about the same. I don't know anything about the NM springs though.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
GFMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought and opinion (just my own), leave it be. Is it really killing you THAT MUCH if your "beater" car has a little wheel arch gap? Im sure there are plenty of other things the spring money can go to if you are really on that tight a budget a complete suspension setup is out of your pricerange to keep the wife happy.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM
vicj
3rd Gear
Yes. It does bother me THAT MUCH. Thank you for the opinion.

Last edited by vicj; 01-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Many people have stated in the past that the stock shocks won't last with lowering springs. I have TSW's on mine, and they didn't drop the car too much. I would worry about spending $200/250 on springs, then having to buy replacement shocks in a year. Koni yellows tend to be a popular choice, but those are around $700.

You are probably best off keeping an eye on the marketplace for a used set of coil overs. There are also lots of threads on which coil overs to buy. Plan on $1000 for coil overs. These would be the way to go because you can set the height to your desire.

There is no low priced way to get something to lower a MINI and have it last. Some cars also have driveshaft vibrations when they are significantly lowered, but that seems hit or miss.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 AM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
I'm running eibach springs on my stock shocks. I wouldve gotten vmaxx coilovers but because of the roads in my area, and the speedhumps on my road, I'd never be lower than I am now with eibach's. I'm definately going to upgrade the shocks, but I have other mods planned before that. I can only speak from personal experience but the eibach's have been great, even with the stock shocks. I have about a 2 finger's space between the tire and the wheel arch in the rear and about 3 finger space in the front. I'm looking forward to getting new shocks, but on a student budget , things take time ..

Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, you'll need new shocks if you choose lowering springs if you want that comfortable ride quality. At that point, you might as well buy a good set of coilovers like KW V1.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LethalR53
I'm running eibach springs on my stock shocks. I wouldve gotten vmaxx coilovers but because of the roads in my area, and the speedhumps on my road, I'd never be lower than I am now with eibach's. I'm definately going to upgrade the shocks, but I have other mods planned before that. I can only speak from personal experience but the eibach's have been great, even with the stock shocks. I have about a 2 finger's space between the tire and the wheel arch in the rear and about 3 finger space in the front. I'm looking forward to getting new shocks, but on a student budget , things take time ..
How much stiffer would you estimate the Eibach springs to be over stock?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
When I first put the TSW's on, the ride was much harsher than stock. I soon realized that I was bottoming on the stock snubbers. I put a set on from WMW which are shorter, and the ride improved dramatically. I would expect that with shorter springs than the TSW's you will bottom more. The bottoming is what damages the stock shocks.

Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
The ride will always be a bit stiffer than stock due to the fact that spring rates will be higher. What makes it worse is the fact that the stock shocks can't "keep up" with the higher spring rates.

If you're looking for ride comfort that is the same or better than what you have now, stick with the stock suspension.