R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone else's car do this, remote fob not pop trunk. Comfort access/alarm option

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else's car do this, remote fob not pop trunk. Comfort access/alarm option

Hello everyone

I recently picked up my 2013 MCS yesterday and as I have been using the car this weekend I noticed the trunk won't pop using either of my remote fobs. Now my car has both the comfort access and the alarm option. If I lock/arm the car and just press the release button above the rear license plate the comfort access allows me to open it. The trunk release above the rear plate works as well with the car unlocked However either locked or unlocked the remote fob will not pop it open. I tried the 1 sec push as in the owners manual and it didn't work and If I hold the trunk release button on the fob it triggers the panic mode of the alarm.

Is it because I have both comfort access and the alarm and now that feature is disabled on the remote? Again I tried this with both of my key fobs and nothing.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I have an '07 S with both alarm and comfort access. Would definitely like to know why this happens....

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bob Saget
Mine does the same thing. I have an '07 S with both alarm and comfort access. Would definitely like to know why this happens....
Well seeing im not alone I can say it can't be broken then lol. Its gotta be a software problem that I would like to know why its that way as well. The owners manual doesn't state if both options are equipped that this function is disabled. Regardless this kinda annoys me, as im sure it does you too.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
I've been able to do it two or three times since I bought my car. The rest of the time I just set the alarm off.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this was asked somewhere and the factory alarm replaces the hatch pop for the key fob. It's because of that panic alarm feature.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bob Saget
I've been able to do it two or three times since I bought my car. The rest of the time I just set the alarm off.
That's what ive done so far when I try haha

Originally Posted by calforhelp
I think this was asked somewhere and the factory alarm replaces the hatch pop for the key fob. It's because of that panic alarm feature.
Yea guess thats it, I tried to google it/ search but didn't find anything. I will call MiniUSA tomorrow and see what they say may do.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
artmem
2nd Gear
My '12 MCS has comfort access and the alarm, and I can pop the hatch from the fob. It's more like a 2-second press & hold than the 1 sec. they say in the manual, but after about a week of setting of the alarm every time, I got the hang of it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Weid. I just went and checked mine to see if I could solve anything. I also have comfort access and the factory alarm and have had this problem. I used to have a clubman, so I had to hold the boot button down until the barn door popped open, and, like the OP, I had the alarm go off. My recent attempt had the hatch open every time, locked or unlocked, if I held down the boot release button on the key fob for a second or so. I tried just giving it a press and letting go, but that didn't work, I actually had to hold it down for a second and then a second after I let go, it would pop open.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
artmem
2nd Gear
Scooter09, that's exactly how mine works -- I should have mentioned that it doesn't pop until you let go of the button. So if you just hold it down waiting for it to pop, the alarm will go off every time. You just have to hold for a sec. or two and let go, and then it will pop as soon as you let go of the button.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Hmm ill try that in the morning then. I did the 1 sec and nothing and got confused and then did the constant hold and the alarm sounds. I never trued the 2 sec hold and release.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM
GFMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No comfort access, but coded for factory alarm here, I have the same issue as you. It is like 2 seconds to get the trunk to pop, any less and nothing, any more and the alarm trips into panic mode. It normally takes me 2-3 tries to get it to pop when I take the MINI for quick grocery runs. I'm guessing the 2 second thing is intentional to prevent accidental pocket presses.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Artmem that worked! Thanks for clarifying the right sequence. Like said I have to get used to it because I did set the alarm off lol but it will pop open.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried this last night when I walked out to my car after work, it worked with not setting off the alarm. Push and hold the far right keyfob button w/pic. of Boot Door Open, heard a almost click sound and sure enough I was able to open the Boot.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey so here's an option I just found in NCS Expert. The option is described as "Pressing Remote Control Trunk Lid Button Stops Automatic Trunk Lid Opening With Comfort Access".

It's in the CAS module and it's listed as:
Code:
HKL_LIFT_BEI_CA
     nicht_aktiv
Set it to niche_aktiv. It might fix your guys' problem with the hatch not opening.

No guarantee that it'll work but it's worth trying.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
Hey so here's an option I just found in NCS Expert. The option is described as "Pressing Remote Control Trunk Lid Button Stops Automatic Trunk Lid Opening With Comfort Access".

It's in the CAS module and it's listed as:
Code:
HKL_LIFT_BEI_CA
     nicht_aktiv
Set it to niche_aktiv. It might fix your guys' problem with the hatch not opening.

No guarantee that it'll work but it's worth trying.
Hmm that's interesting but I did get it to work, its a timing issue of how long to press the button.

Thank you tho for the info.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Retina
Neutral
Solved

If your MINI Cooper is equipped with factor alarm system, the truck release WILL NOT work while the vehicle is locked.
In order to open the hatch or truck in the case of the coupe and roadster (which I own) you need to unlock the vehicle first. Then press and hold the truck release button for 2-3 seconds. Once released the truck will pop open. If the vehicle is locked, and you have comfort access, the truck will not release as well. You must unlock the vehicle first. In the case of comfort access you can press the button on the driver and or passenger door. I know this sounds illogical but this is how it was designed by the crazy Germans. Once unlocked you can press the truck pad on the car or you can use the key fob. In a panic situation, you can press the truck icon on the key fob and it will sound the alarm because the button is defaulted to panic when the factory alarm is optioned on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by M'Cooper
Hello everyone

I recently picked up my 2013 MCS yesterday and as I have been using the car this weekend I noticed the trunk won't pop using either of my remote fobs. Now my car has both the comfort access and the alarm option. If I lock/arm the car and just press the release button above the rear license plate the comfort access allows me to open it. The trunk release above the rear plate works as well with the car unlocked However either locked or unlocked the remote fob will not pop it open. I tried the 1 sec push as in the owners manual and it didn't work and If I hold the trunk release button on the fob it triggers the panic mode of the alarm.

Is it because I have both comfort access and the alarm and now that feature is disabled on the remote? Again I tried this with both of my key fobs and nothing.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2019, 05:27 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by M'Cooper
Hello everyone

Is it because I have both comfort access and the alarm and now that feature is disabled on the remote? Again I tried this with both of my key fobs and nothing. Holding the button for 2 seconds is probably one second longer than it will take me just to reach down and press the button.

Thanks
Mine doesn't work. I can open the trunk by hand but if I press the button on the fob with the trunk open nothing happens. I found it strange but then forgot about it and moved on. Pressing the button for 2 seconds is 1 second longer than it takes me to reach down and press the button to just unlock it.