R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Top 5 favorite mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say the top 5 depend upon what you want from your car. Are you looking to increase its power, handling, or looks? Maybe all of the above. I'm doing a bit of a mix myself so here is what I would recommend to get started:

1) lighter wheels and grippy tires (preferably include a rear sway bar and either lowering springs or new suspension). Lighter (non-runflat) wheels wheel decrease rotational energy which will aid acceleration and handling (not to mention they look better). If you do go this route, buy a spare from Detroit Tuned (about $120 + shipping).

2) Oil Catch Can. This will save you money down the road with maintence costs. An issue MINI owners have is carbon/oil build up which leads to cylinder misfires. Catch Can helps to alleviate that issue. I also recommend octane boost and fuel cleaner each time you fill up with gas (about $20 for the two). Again, helps your car to run properly all the time and save $$ on maintence down the road.

3) New exhaust. A lot of cat-back exhaust systems cost $500-1000, but what I did was just remove my exhaust and have a shop install a 2.5" straight pipe from the downpipe/exhaust connection flange and put some matte black dual tips on it. Cost me $155 and it is more free flowing than most exhaust systems. It is very loud though (if I rev up between buildings that are close it will set off alarms) so I suggest a magnaflow muffler and all that may be $200-300.

4) Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC). No explanation needed. Just get one.

5) Get a tune: Alta doesn't make the AccessPort anymore so you may have to spend $500-800 on a custom tune from a performance shop. I have an AP and can run a stage 3 map which for my performance wants is plenty of power and torque (maybe get a used AP).

TOP 5 body mods:

1) Wheels/tires: Yes this again. I'm just not a fan of the OEM wheels. I recommend sticking with 17". 18" is a bit much especially of you're looking to lower the car.

2) Black out or re-color the chrome: In my opinion MINIs are a bit too flashy with the chrome. If you like it then disregard my opinion.

3) New steering wheel: You have to touch it all the time. Might as well get one you like. I think the stock steering will is a bit generic and uncomfortable.

4) Window tint

5) If you have the $$ and are interested get the JCW body kit: I think it redefines the MINI and makes it look like a proper MINI.

One thing that is free that I did, but is def not for everyone, is strip out the interior. I removed a bunch of weight and I will be replacing the seats with some Sparco seats which should lighten the car even more. Again, depends on what you want/can live with if your MINI is a daily driver.

Hope this helped!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by solskjaer1999
I would say the top 5 depend upon what you want from your car. Are you looking to increase its power, handling, or looks? Maybe all of the above. I'm doing a bit of a mix myself so here is what I would recommend to get started:

1) lighter wheels and grippy tires (preferably include a rear sway bar and either lowering springs or new suspension). Lighter (non-runflat) wheels wheel decrease rotational energy which will aid acceleration and handling (not to mention they look better). If you do go this route, buy a spare from Detroit Tuned (about $120 + shipping).

2) Oil Catch Can. This will save you money down the road with maintence costs. An issue MINI owners have is carbon/oil build up which leads to cylinder misfires. Catch Can helps to alleviate that issue. I also recommend octane boost and fuel cleaner each time you fill up with gas (about $20 for the two). Again, helps your car to run properly all the time and save $$ on maintence down the road.

3) New exhaust. A lot of cat-back exhaust systems cost $500-1000, but what I did was just remove my exhaust and have a shop install a 2.5" straight pipe from the downpipe/exhaust connection flange and put some matte black dual tips on it. Cost me $155 and it is more free flowing than most exhaust systems. It is very loud though (if I rev up between buildings that are close it will set off alarms) so I suggest a magnaflow muffler and all that may be $200-300.

4) Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC). No explanation needed. Just get one.

5) Get a tune: Alta doesn't make the AccessPort anymore so you may have to spend $500-800 on a custom tune from a performance shop. I have an AP and can run a stage 3 map which for my performance wants is plenty of power and torque (maybe get a used AP).

TOP 5 body mods:

1) Wheels/tires: Yes this again. I'm just not a fan of the OEM wheels. I recommend sticking with 17". 18" is a bit much especially of you're looking to lower the car.

2) Black out or re-color the chrome: In my opinion MINIs are a bit too flashy with the chrome. If you like it then disregard my opinion.

3) New steering wheel: You have to touch it all the time. Might as well get one you like. I think the stock steering will is a bit generic and uncomfortable.

4) Window tint

5) If you have the $$ and are interested get the JCW body kit: I think it redefines the MINI and makes it look like a proper MINI.

One thing that is free that I did, but is def not for everyone, is strip out the interior. I removed a bunch of weight and I will be replacing the seats with some Sparco seats which should lighten the car even more. Again, depends on what you want/can live with if your MINI is a daily driver.

Hope this helped!
Can you PM me some photos of your interior?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Can you PM me some photos of your interior?
I can do that. I haven't taken any yet, but I need to anyway since I'm installing a roll cage. It's not going to be a full race cage. Just something to stiffen the car and a harness bar when I do put in lighter seats.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
GirlCrayon
1st Gear
I haven't done more than five, so here's what I have done and would recommend, and my next couple planned mods.

Done:
1. Lighter wheels and sticky non-runflat tires
2. Plasti-dip all exterior "chrome" matte black
3. CravenSpeed dipstick (unless they've changed the dipstick in the last couple years, and assuming you like being able to get an accurate reading when you check your oil)

To do (and seconding what others have said here):
4. Lowering springs and rear sway bar
5. Stainless steel brake lines

Also, maintenance-wise, better brakes and brake fluid might be in order, depending on how much fun you plan to let your MINI have.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
peatun
2nd Gear
I just picked up my 08 MCS so I'm adding these to my to do list:
1. Short shifter, I hate the stock butter churner
2. Custom stripes, I want a dark red
3. Grey Union Jack for roof (I am British so I can!)
4. New wheels and non run flat summer tires
5. Big brake kit... still weighing Brembo or Stop tech

Any one have any advice for the short shifter?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Originally Posted by peatun
I just picked up my 08 MCS so I'm adding these to my to do list:
1. Short shifter, I hate the stock butter churner
2. Custom stripes, I want a dark red
3. Grey Union Jack for roof (I am British so I can!)
4. New wheels and non run flat summer tires
5. Big brake kit... still weighing Brembo or Stop tech

Any one have any advice for the short shifter?
I am using the ShiftRx Short Shift Kit from Tyrolsport. As far as a BBK goes, consider the Wilwood system too. It is an excellent system for the MINI.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MinMin2010
I am using the ShiftRx Short Shift Kit from Tyrolsport. As far as a BBK goes, consider the Wilwood system too. It is an excellent system for the MINI.

+1!! My buddy has a Wilwood BBK on his R53 and he has owned Stoptecs on a VW R32. He said the Wilwoods are essentially the same but they are cheaper. Basically with Brembo and Stoptec you're just paying for a name. When I have the $$ I'm grabbing a Wilwood BBK.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinMin2010
I plan on getting the ShiftRX from TyrolSport. I drove past them one day and after looking them up, decided to go with them for the short shift kit. I'm sure I will be using them from other things as well....like the Akropovic DP.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 AM
peatun
2nd Gear
MinMin Thanks!
I will look into the Wilwoods, did you do anything for the rears? On the short shifter I just read their installation instructions and this kit is all on the back end (transmission side) How does the shifter feel after installing this kit? I presume you are using the 40% option? My original concern is with the huge shifter inside the car but with this kit does it tighten that up enough to make you forget about shortening the shift stick?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Originally Posted by peatun
MinMin Thanks!
I will look into the Wilwoods, did you do anything for the rears? On the short shifter I just read their installation instructions and this kit is all on the back end (transmission side) How does the shifter feel after installing this kit? I presume you are using the 40% option? My original concern is with the huge shifter inside the car but with this kit does it tighten that up enough to make you forget about shortening the shift stick?
I have Wilwoods front and back.

On the TyrolSport shift kit, opn my 2009 MCS, everything is on the right side of the engine on top of the tranny. I am using the 10% reduction right now. It is comfortable for me to use. I have not seen the need to go the 40% route yet. I would not consider shortening the shift stick for any reason.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM
peatun
2nd Gear
Just ordered the shift kit from TyrolSport! Thanks for directing me to it.