R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Let's settle this Vvibration argument once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
korre07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's settle this Vvibration argument once and for all

So quite a few of us, including myself, have experience this crappy vibration after lowering. The conclusion is that it's a batch of passenger side axles that are too long. Now i've pretty much heard 50/50 that a) don't worry. the bearings will wear in at this new angle and the vibration will go away. or b) replace the whole axle and all is well. I had my car lowered to the very tops of the tire and had beyond bad vibration. so bad that the items in my door trays would rattle and the steering wheel would shake horribly. I raised it about 1/2 an inch after that and the vibration is still there but a lot less noticeable.

The crazy thing is the vibration has gotten better. So i'm apt to believe that the bearings are wearing in. But this goes against logic. because in my mind. if i was to take a very hard left hand turn with putting body roll into account that should make the vibration worse. but it doesn't. it only does in between 20-30 miles an hour. this is so frustrating. so what is it. is it possible for the bearings to wear in>? or should i replace the axle

Last edited by korre07; 03-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
is it possible for the bearings to wear in>? or should i replace the axle
Replace the axle. A bearing wearing in will soon fail IMO. It is not worth the risk, again IMO.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM
GOC4RT
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by korre07
So quite a few of us, uncluding myself, have experience this crappy vibration after lowering. The conclusion is that it's a batch of passenger side axles that are too long. Now i've pretty much heard 50/50 that a) don't worry. the bearings will wear in at this new angle and teh vibration will go away. or b) replace the whole axle and all is well. I had my car lowered to the very tops of the tire and had beyond bad vibration. so bad that the items in my door trays would rattle and the steering wheel would shake horribly. I raised it about 1/2 an inch after that and the vibration is still there but still noticeable.

The crazy thing is the vibration has gotten better. So i'm apt to believe that the bearings are wearing in. But this goes against logic. because in my mind. if i was to take a very hard left hand turn with putting body roll into acount that should make the vibration worse. but it doesn't. it only does in between 20-30 miles an hour. this is so frustrating. so what is it. is it possible for the bearings to wear in>? or should i replace the axle

YES! Lets find the solution/fix to this problem! I am almost forced to trade my Mini...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
As I commented in the other thread, it may be that your front wheels are no longer aligned properly after lowering. Alignment specs are predicated on the suspension being at standard ride height. Lowering changes the steering geometry, and can cause the front wheels to toe-in or toe-out a bit; and the alignment must be reset accordingly.

Check your alignment and report back... and by the way, ANY wear in a bearing is bad news. They don't "wear in," they wear out.

Spridget

Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 AM
korre07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
As I commented in the other thread, it may be that your front wheels are no longer aligned properly after lowering. Alignment specs are predicated on the suspension being at standard ride height. Lowering changes the steering geometry, and can cause the front wheels to toe-in or toe-out a bit; and the alignment must be reset accordingly.

Check your alignment and report back... and by the way, ANY wear in a bearing is bad news. They don't "wear in," they wear out.

Spridget
I don't mean for this to come off as brash, but if you would do some research you'd know this isn't an alignment problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
Alignment rarely causes a vibration. Make sure your tires are balanced. It is easy to throw a weight when hitting pot holes etc. If you have flat spots on a tire(s) it will vibrate. Alignment will affect tire wear, it my pull to one side or the other, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM
korre07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Velocityvic
Alignment rarely causes a vibration. Make sure your tires are balanced. It is easy to throw a weight when hitting pot holes etc. If you have flat spots on a tire(s) it will vibrate. Alignment will affect tire wear, it my pull to one side or the other, etc.
I know what the problem is. If everyone would read what i actually typed or searched the forum they would know there are a ton of people with this problem. a thrown weight wouldn't just happen between 20-30 mph. the same with a flat spot. I just want to know the best way of going around to fixing it.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just got my car after being lowered to where yours is and do not notice the vibration. Though it is too low because I keep scrapping the tires.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
gregoryp
Neutral
I noticed it in my car after lowering it as well. Lowered it with the H&R springs. The only time I notice it is on a long slightly curved entrance ramp if I'm getting on it really hard. It wasn't terrible, but I definatley noticed it and thought I don't remember it doing that before. I have probably put 8000 miles on it now and it seems to be a lot less, but was never that bad to beging with. I know back in the day of lowering pickup trucks that you would get a vibration from the driveshaft and would have to shim the angle of the differential to fix the vibration. Though U-joints are different than CV's

Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, just my .02...I can't imagine lowering this car anymore. I feel so low to the ground already...this guy in was in a Honda Fit next to me today and I was looking UP at him. In a Honda FIT! hahaha

Then again, I'm coming from driving trucks all my life...and this mini is my solution to the ridiculous gas prices nowadays.

I used to be the bully! now I'm the one getting bullied! By Toyota Priuses and Honda Fits! NOOOOOOOO lol!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
cambo Thx for the laughs.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
I just put H&R springs on my car a few days ago. The only vibration I have noticed is under heavy acceleration but it's not all the time. I also have a BSH motor mount so there may be some vibration I just don't notice. The BSH mount is nice but it is really stiff and creates a lot of rattles inside the car. I am going in for new tires and alignment in a few weeks. I'll report back afterwards with an update.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:28 AM
korre07
1st Gear
People keep telling me to just replace the axle and it will go away, so that's what I'm going to do.80 bucks from advanced auto and a few hours in my buddies garage won't be too bad.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
goonweeman
1st Gear
Going back to stock and be done with it.