R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 K&N Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Typhoon Intake

I purchased this intake for my 2010 MCS last weekend and tried to install it yesterday. I ran into two problems, 1) The intake shield/box from K&N did not match up with the mounting holes on the stock intake box and 2) The MAF sensor plug came up short about 1-2 inches from where it should plug in.

Here is the link to the intake. At the bottom of the page it clearly states it will fit on a 2010 MCS.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...rod=69-2004TTK

Has anyone else had this problem? The one major difference I noticed was that the top of my air box only has 3 screws while the one shown in the diagrams had 4? If someone aslo has a 2010 MCS can you please let me know how many screws hold the top of your air box down? Below are also some pictures I took that I will email K&N tomorrow.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails K&N Typhoon Intake-k-and-nshield2.jpg   K&N Typhoon Intake-mafsensorwire2.jpg   K&N Typhoon Intake-rightalignment.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Here is a picture of my stock air box...

Attached Thumbnails K&N Typhoon Intake-stockairbox2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
That might be for the N18 and not the N14, only a guess

Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The N14 has 4 Torx screws on the airbox as well if I remember correctly. I'll have to check in the morning though.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Bakerbrdz and Agbullet25 you guys are correct. The customer service representative from K&N also told me that some of the later 2010 models came with the 2011 and up air boxes. That's why my air box has 3 torx screws instead of 4. Here is what he said in a return email:

"It appears you actual have the 2011 airbox in your 2010 model (this is the exact reason why we do not have a kit for the 2011 at this time). Unfortunately, this kit will not fit sure to this slight change in the 2011 airbox."

He also told me that they just finished the intake shield/box for 2011+ models and they should be ready in a couple of weeks. He also said he would ship me one as soon as its available, if I want.

I still want to go with this air box setup. Before I ordered this one I looked at the AEM and Alta. I chose not to go with the AEM one because I was afraid of closing off the hood scoop and keeping all the hot air around the turbo, even though it comes with a heat shield. I also chose not to go with the Alta because I think it's over priced. All you really get is a cone style filter and a mounting bracket for $240. Plus, I think I got a pretty good deal on the K&N one for only $20 more.

Do you guys have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not DoS? Along with the AEM, it's the best one for the R56, IMO.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
blakeslee_a
3rd Gear
Yeah I have a 2010 and the intake fits perfectly on mine, hopefully you get the new intake shield and all is well. You will love the sound when you get it installed

Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by papatom360
Bakerbrdz and Agbullet25 you guys are correct. The customer service representative from K&N also told me that some of the later 2010 models came with the 2011 and up air boxes. That's why my air box has 3 torx screws instead of 4. Here is what he said in a return email:

"It appears you actual have the 2011 airbox in your 2010 model (this is the exact reason why we do not have a kit for the 2011 at this time). Unfortunately, this kit will not fit sure to this slight change in the 2011 airbox."

He also told me that they just finished the intake shield/box for 2011+ models and they should be ready in a couple of weeks. He also said he would ship me one as soon as its available, if I want.

I still want to go with this air box setup. Before I ordered this one I looked at the AEM and Alta. I chose not to go with the AEM one because I was afraid of closing off the hood scoop and keeping all the hot air around the turbo, even though it comes with a heat shield. I also chose not to go with the Alta because I think it's over priced. All you really get is a cone style filter and a mounting bracket for $240. Plus, I think I got a pretty good deal on the K&N one for only $20 more.

Do you guys have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
you paid 260 for the k&n? amazon has it for 210-220 shipped.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
blakeslee_a
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bdrecksage

you paid 260 for the k&n? amazon has it for 210-220 shipped.
I got lucky and paid $120 shipped for a 20k mile old one

Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Hello Everyone,

Sorry its been a while since I gave you guys some feedback/information on this problem. I talked the the customer service representative at K&N again and he told me that the new heat shield/box would fit on my stock air box and he would ship it out immediately BUT he had no solution to the MAF sensor coming up short. I decided to return the intake because I did not feel comfortable lengthen the wiring harness. Besides, it's still under warranty until the end of October and I do not want to risk anything.

Anyway, I have started to look again for another intake and the only one I feel 100% comfortable with is the ALTA one. Only because it's made to fit 2007 - 2010 and 2011+. I have also seen some pictures online and it seems like the wiring harness for the MAF sensor pretty much stays in its stock location. I know some of you have mentioned the DOS BUT I do not want to cut into anything because it is still under warranty. If any of you have an ALTA intake can you let me know how you like it/and if you had any installation problems? I have read some reviews in the products/manufacturers section and they seem pretty mixed. Thanks for your time!

Tom

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cutting the bulkhead is no big deal and should not affect your warranty. That said, DoS sells a pre-cut bulkhead panel, so you can keep your original one intact if you ever need to go back to stock for some reason.

IMO, I would go DoS or AEM, or just stick with stock box and a higher-flow filter.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by papatom360
Hello Everyone,

Sorry its been a while since I gave you guys some feedback/information on this problem. I talked the the customer service representative at K&N again and he told me that the new heat shield/box would fit on my stock air box and he would ship it out immediately BUT he had no solution to the MAF sensor coming up short. I decided to return the intake because I did not feel comfortable lengthen the wiring harness. Besides, it's still under warranty until the end of October and I do not want to risk anything.

Anyway, I have started to look again for another intake and the only one I feel 100% comfortable with is the ALTA one. Only because it's made to fit 2007 - 2010 and 2011+. I have also seen some pictures online and it seems like the wiring harness for the MAF sensor pretty much stays in its stock location. I know some of you have mentioned the DOS BUT I do not want to cut into anything because it is still under warranty. If any of you have an ALTA intake can you let me know how you like it/and if you had any installation problems? I have read some reviews in the products/manufacturers section and they seem pretty mixed. Thanks for your time!

Tom
I had an alta/Perrin intake on my Subaru WRX, loved it! That being said...I wouldn't go open filter on this car, the stock set up is great and just needs a kn panel filter unless you go JCW intake, in which case I would get the JCW tuning kit

Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by hujan
cutting the bulkhead is no big deal and should not affect your warranty. That said, dos sells a pre-cut bulkhead panel, so you can keep your original one intact if you ever need to go back to stock for some reason.

Imo, i would go dos or aem, or just stick with stock box and a higher-flow filter.
+1