R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First Time on the Track!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time on the Track!

I actually took myself and my 2010 MCS to the track for the first time ever today! I live near Pittsburgh and there is a race track about an hour away in Beaver County that used to be called Beaver Run Raceway and is now currently called Pittsburgh International Race Complex. Here is the link to the event: http://pittrace.com/pde.html

The instructors and other driver's were really nice and down to earth. There were a range of cars from a 2002 MCS, Scion FR-S, Honda S2000, Civic Si, Miatas, Evo 10, STI, Lotus Exige, Evora, Mustang Cobra, Viper, Cayman, GT3 RS, and even a Cayenne. I was really impressed with how my stock Mini handled. The last of my 3 three track sessions I wound up behind the Mustang Cobra. He was able to pull away from me on the staight aways but through the corners it was a different story. I reeled him in real quick and actually had to slow down because he was breaking really early.

I really enjoyed myself today and hope to go back again for the next event at the end of May. Does anyone else have access to a track event like this?

Tom

Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is exactly what I've been wanting to do with my MCS for quite awhile now. I think it's just the unknown that has kept me from joining an event like this. I consider myself a skilled driver, but I'd like some tips (especially track specific) that I can apply to my driving.

I'm not aware of any events like this in my area (Los Angeles -SoCal). I think Willow Springs is the nearest track at 1.5 hours away.

Glad you had a good time.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
AdrenaliNate it was a blast and I hope you can find something like this close to you! I just graduated from college this past December and landed a job that could pay for my MCS. Somehow my dad found out about this and signed me up.

All three sessions were 25 minutes long with classroom sessions in between. The instructor was with me the whole time and taught me how to APEX properly and take the best line. He even showed me some different lines that I could take to accelerate quicker out of some of the corners. The course is only 1.65 miles long so I guess I got about 10+ laps in (I wasn't counting)? I think it was a pretty good value for the money ($185). I know on the last 2 laps or so I could really feel the brakes fading and I had to break earlier. It was a great experience and really opened my eyes to new, more important track modifications such as brake pads and rotors. It also didn’t help I was running on run-flats either lol.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
The other barrier of entry can be cost(although in the grand scheme of things, its a drop in the bucket). We have a few track days here around Milwaukee, WI. Some seem pretty nice, like multi day events with actual classroom time and in-car instructor track time. I'm gonna pace myself with a few track events this year since each range between 200-350, 4-5 events annually can add up. Then again, one Ironman event with travel, lodging and entry fees easily eclipse that.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate
This is exactly what I've been wanting to do with my MCS for quite awhile now. I think it's just the unknown that has kept me from joining an event like this. I consider myself a skilled driver, but I'd like some tips (especially track specific) that I can apply to my driving.

I'm not aware of any events like this in my area (Los Angeles -SoCal). I think Willow Springs is the nearest track at 1.5 hours away.

Glad you had a good time.
Yes and there is an event on the 20th for $125 if you want to go. Don't be a panzy let's go. I will be there.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yes and there is an event on the 20th for $125 if you want to go. Don't be a panzy let's go. I will be there.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! If I hadn't already planned a camping trip to the lake that weekend I'd be all over it. Which event are you doing? Is it the 2.5 mile extreme speed event? $150 for car and driver. I don't see any info about instructors/classroom instruction etc.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yeah that's it beginners get instructors and I think both other groups can request instructors.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sure do have access in the Great Lakes state. It's what I do and look forward to when the warm months come. Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, and Grattan are where are local MINI club frequents.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by papatom360
AdrenaliNate it was a blast and I hope you can find something like this close to you! I just graduated from college this past December and landed a job that could pay for my MCS. Somehow my dad found out about this and signed me up.

All three sessions were 25 minutes long with classroom sessions in between. The instructor was with me the whole time and taught me how to APEX properly and take the best line. He even showed me some different lines that I could take to accelerate quicker out of some of the corners. The course is only 1.65 miles long so I guess I got about 10+ laps in (I wasn't counting)? I think it was a pretty good value for the money ($185). I know on the last 2 laps or so I could really feel the brakes fading and I had to break earlier. It was a great experience and really opened my eyes to new, more important track modifications such as brake pads and rotors. It also didn’t help I was running on run-flats either lol.
Watch out...this kind of activity can be hazardous to your wallet
First it is brake pads, then tires, wheels, springs, shocks, swaybars, camberplates, coilovers...where does the madness stop....

Nice catch on the brakes. Basically the S brakes are fine for the track and the stock MINI rotors are not something that needs to be changed, except for wear. But as you learned, street pads are not up to the demands of the track. The two things that are a must for going out on the track are a brake fluid change to a good high temp fluid like ATE amber or super blue or Motul 600 and an upgrade to a brake pad that can withstand the demands that the track puts on them. For a beginner the EBC Yellow stuff or the Hawk HP+ are a good choice. These can be used for everyday driving and on the track. As you improve you will likely need to move up to a full race pad.

As for tires and wheels, there is a lot of discussion about that on NAM. A good, current thread on tires is:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bfg-rival.html

Another suggestion is to search Youtube for video posts from people who have run the track or tracks that you will be on. This is a good way to become familiar with a track before you go out on it. You may also find some posts by some really good drivers and you can learn a lot from those.

Most of all have fun and be safe.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate
There's also the Autoclub speedway in Fontana, and Buttonwillow (a little ways up I-5), not to mention several out towards Las Vegas (Cuckwalla and Spring Mountain). 1.5 hours isn't that bad, it takes us that long to get to either Laguna Seca or Sonoma, Thunderhill is more like 3 hours from here, and Buttonwillow is even further, we've been to all of those.

I'm sure they all have plenty of events, I know Buttonwillow has things most weekends. You can find the schedules on the track's websites and see who you fancy running with. The only organisation I know of down in LA who does trackdays is Speedventures, I wouldn't recommend them though. They run time trials in all the groups which makes for not a pleasant or safe environment. Up at Buttonwillow I've been thinking of running with NCRC, they have a reasonable reputation, but I've never ran with them.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 AM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Here's a video on YouTube of this event. I'm in the second group at 3:25, 5th in line.

4/6/13 Pittsburgh Int. Race Complex Track Day: Viper ACR, McLaren, GT3 RS & More! - YouTube
"> 4/6/13 Pittsburgh Int. Race Complex Track Day: Viper ACR, McLaren, GT3 RS & More! - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Eddie07S I would jot suggest Yellow Stuff for the street. They are a track only pad that takes time to warm up to grip properly. I speak from experience because I had those pads on my last car and cold breaking was almost dangerous. A better choice for track and street would be red stuff.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Porthos - sorry to hear that you had problems with the Yellow stuff pads.

I based my statement on how EBC promotes them - "EBC Yellowstuff is an aramid fibre based brake compound with high brake effect form cold and is possibly one of the first ever compounds that can be used for STREET AND TRACK DRIVING. These pads do not require warm up but do get even stronger under the heat of hard driving."

I too have used them, both on the street and on the track. The difference is that I really liked them for the street, but didn't like them on the track. On the other hand, that is all that Btwyx is using on the track and seems to like them. Go figure the personal differences.

As for the Red Stuff, they are a street only pad (at least EBC doesn't promote them for track use) and the people I know who have used them on the track have easily "cooked" them (intermediate drivers on the track).

Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Hmm it seems EBC has re-rated their pads since I bought mine. I bought my Yellowstuff back in 07 when they were rated for track only and redstuff was a track & street pad. i bought my reds in 2010 and they were still rated like that. I have cooked the reds a couple of times on the street like when I went to the Dragon last year and since moving out to Cali. I am going to be upgrading brakes soon anyway. Looking at some JCW brakes maybe even GP brakes. Also kicking it up a notch with pads to something a little bit more aggressive.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Porthos - Are you looking to stay "MINI" with the BBK? The Wilwood kits are fantastic; easy to change pads on and reduce the front end unsprung weight (car rides and handles better). The Wilwood 12.2" is basically the same as the JCW and the 13" is basically the same as the GP, but with 4 pistons instead of 6. Also, I think there is a wider selection of pads for the Wilwoods than the MINI BBKs. Just suggesting options.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I've had no trouble using Yellowstuff on the street. I break them in on the street and they usually get put in the weekend before a track day. I was driving the whole of March on Yellowstuffs and had zero problem with them. EBC do rate them for the street, it may help that its warm out this end of the world so they never see freezing temperatures (and the MINIs are kept in the garage so never get cold) and its hardly ever wet as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Porthos - Are you looking to stay "MINI" with the BBK? The Wilwood kits are fantastic; easy to change pads on and reduce the front end unsprung weight (car rides and handles better). The Wilwood 12.2" is basically the same as the JCW and the 13" is basically the same as the GP, but with 4 pistons instead of 6. Also, I think there is a wider selection of pads for the Wilwoods than the MINI BBKs. Just suggesting options.
I am looking for whatever I can get my hands on but, stockish would be better for the fact that it will be direct replacements.