R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Turbo whistle/dump sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Thor56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo whistle/dump sound

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a 2009 r56 cooper s. I've noticed lately when I back off the throttle and change gears is there is a whistle noise coming from the turbo. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like I have a BOV, but the engine is stock (apart from an alta panel filter).

The car feels a little slower than when I bought it, so I'm thinking maybe some boost is leaking out somewhere?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dane

Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a CAI you will get a BOV sound very audible. Perhaps with the Alta filter you're starting to hear some of that as well. For instance, with a DoS CAI, under full load you can hear the air being sucked into the intake (sounds like you're taking a big deep breath) and then between shifts there is a decently loud blow off.

Here's a video of it:
Does yours sound somewhat similar?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Thor56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
With a CAI you will get a BOV sound very audible. Perhaps with the Alta filter you're starting to hear some of that as well. For instance, with a DoS CAI, under full load you can hear the air being sucked into the intake (sounds like you're taking a big deep breath) and then between shifts there is a decently loud blow off.

Here's a video of it: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcuEq3DDA4E Does yours sound somewhat similar?
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes it does sound a lot like that, but a little more of a whistle when the turbo is spooling.
Considering its only a panel filer in the stock air box I wouldn't expect it to be as loud as it is,

I've got a jcw intake on order from ecs tuning, as well as an alta filter, but seeing I'm in Australia it takes a bit longer to Arrive.

I'm guess I'm just a little scared my turbo is on the way out, or there's a leak somewhere and all my boost is pouring out into the atmosphere haha.

Dane

Old 05-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Do have a video of the sound? Because worst case scenario your divertor valve crapped out and you are getting compressor surge which in time will destroy your turbo.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Mannylove
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube

Here's a video of it: R56 Mini Cooper S with Defenders of Speed CAI in car footage 1 - YouTube Does yours sound somewhat similar?
Damn, that sounds exactly like my car.
I have the alta cai and both hot & cold silicone tubes.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
greasypeanut
2nd Gear
i dont think you have a problem. i can hear my stock mcs whistling also when i get off the throttle around 2-3k, anything higher and the engine noise drowns out the bov anything lower and the turbo hasnt spooled up yet