R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Flat Black JCW :) (Photos Included) PW/B previously

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic

Everyone has the right to say whatever they please. Criticism is criticism. Take it for whatever it's worth to you. I've always been outspoken about mods and I'll continue to do so.

Every one of my friends know that about me, that they'll get the honest truth when it comes to mods. They'll still do it regardless my opinion, but at least they know what I thought. I've done stuff they didn't agree with and they told me I was stupid for it, but just like the OP, he chose to do what he thought was cool.

So for you to step in and be the "comment police", just step back.
You mentioned the right to say what you want, freedom of speech, did you know that right is actually limited when you abuse it towards someone else. You mention truth, it's not truth it's an opinion. You mentioned your friends, he's not a friend, but a stranger on a forum.

It's really simple, saying negative comments about someone's work says more about you than the person. If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything at all. Elect to pass, it's ok, he won't miss your opinion.

I only jump in debates like this because I hate when people think they have to be heard. No, we don't have to hear you.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone has the right to say whatever they please. Criticism is criticism. Take it for whatever it's worth to you. I've always been outspoken about mods and I'll continue to do so.

Every one of my friends know that about me, that they'll get the honest truth when it comes to mods. They'll still do it regardless my opinion, but at least they know what I thought. I've done stuff they didn't agree with and they told me I was stupid for it, but just like the OP, he chose to do what he thought was cool.

So for you to step in and be the "comment police", just step back.
Cool.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Inkw8ll
You mentioned the right to say what you want, freedom of speech, did you know that right is actually limited when you abuse it towards someone else. You mention truth, it's not truth it's an opinion. You mentioned your friends, he's not a friend, but a stranger on a forum.

It's really simple, saying negative comments about someone's work says more about you than the person. If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything at all. Elect to pass, it's ok, he won't miss your opinion.

I only jump in debates like this because I hate when people think they have to be heard. No, we don't have to hear you.
Yet, you've just heard me. I already said no to matte, and wish he kept his PW. Cool.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

Yet, you've just heard me. I already said no to matte, and wish he kept his PW. Cool.
Well he's paying for his MINI right?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What really sucks is the OP spent a lot of time, money and energy on this. He makes a post asking for ideas and comments and it turns into this nonsense.

You should be able to make both positive and negative comments. If you make a negative comment you should do it in a non abusive way. There is NOTHING wrong with saying that you don't like something because...

Now having said that I will once again say that I think his car looks very cool. Well done sir!!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're telling people to keep negative comments to themselves, and proceed to talk about what you literally hate in other people.

The OP asked for comments, not compliments only. Matte black isn't my cup of tea either for the Mini. I saw one locally, and it just had a dusty/dirty look to it. Up close it had a few minor scratches that gave the surface a chalkboard like appearance but in a scuffed dusty way. Didn't work for me and seemed exceedingly hard to maintain the surface from scuffs, etc. But that's just my take.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OaklandMini

You're telling people to keep negative comments to themselves, and proceed to talk about what you literally hate in other people.

The OP asked for comments, not compliments only. Matte black isn't my cup of tea either for the Mini. I saw one locally, and it just had a dusty/dirty look to it. Up close it had a few minor scratches that gave the surface a chalkboard like appearance but in a scuffed dusty way. Didn't work for me and seemed exceedingly hard to maintain the surface from scuffs, etc. But that's just my take.
Cool story bro

Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 AM
misfit-x
Neutral
Throw some matt red stripes on the hood and call it a day. That'll really set it off in my opinion. Looks good though.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Hot Rods of the past and present have been using the primer look for years. A little history shows us they were called Hot Rods, then Rat Rods. What can we call the new style of the primer look cars? Hot Imports or Rat Imports or Rat MINIs

Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
YZZX
2nd Gear
I love the contrast of matte with gloss. I would put shiny black stripes with red pin stripes along the sides.

Looks good.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YZZX
I love the contrast of matte with gloss. I would put shiny black stripes with red pin stripes along the sides.

Looks good.
Oh man, like the Mustang GT500 red on matte black stripes...so sexy.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM
greasypeanut
2nd Gear
i know i could search for all these questions but...

have you had a lot of experience with wrapping a car? how long did this take you? and hows the maintenance on that? wash but no wax?

i really like the matte look, and may in the future keep the same pw scheme with black roof but make it all matte.

edit:its looks awesome, and i agree with the red stripe ideas

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 PM
JRoze
1st Gear
I really like the way it turned out. I like the matte with the gloss top, mirror covers, etc. I say to gloss the scoop to make it *pop* on the hood. Though I did the like the red strip idea others were throwing out as well.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I have flat stripes. I was not a fan of all flat at first but it is growing on me. I works very nice on the MINI. How much to wrap a MINI? How would flat fly yellow look at the track?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fowley
Sorry, because I know that flat black and flat colors seem to be in now but I'm not a fan. reminds me of the coat of primer before you paint. I saw a 630 BMW in a show room and it was a flat dark grey, and if my memory serves me, it added several thousand the to the bottom line. Just not my cup of tea
In 2001 and '02, Ducati sold a flat metallic grey 748S Superbike. It was flat, yet with a metallic glint; really stunning. For one or two model years, they made the ST4s in the same grey. When I bought an '03 (with ABS, not previously available), they only offered a glossy grey, not flat. I did a deal with my dealer (hah!) to get the flat grey fairings from an '02 model on my '03. And some other guy eventually bought then leftover '02 with the glossy '03 fairings and was thrilled as heck. Win all around.

So, yeah, it's all a matter of taste… some like it, some don't.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Axion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DOtheDEW
where did you get the HID fogs? how do you like them?
Ddm tuning. They are 10k bulbs and I love them

Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is one in the Cincy Mini showroom - neon green strips over flat black - looked hot!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Mini Manchester
1st Gear
Pepper white is my cup of tea, but having seen batMINI... thats my morning coffee

Good work. Is that Plastidip? Hard to get that smooth finish. Nice though

Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 AM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
I like the "Stealth" look.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Manchester
Pepper white is my cup of tea, but having seen batMINI... thats my morning coffee

Good work. Is that Plastidip? Hard to get that smooth finish. Nice though
It is 1080 series 3m film

Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Axion

It is 1080 series 3m film
Is the a difference between 1080 & Di-Noc from 3M?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Axion
3rd Gear

Is the a difference between 1080 & Di-Noc from 3M?
Yes. Use 1080

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
scalpel_ninja
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice! I believe the term kids are using these days is "murdered out?"

Just curious though, why didn't you keep the blacked out headlights?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw a Ford 150 Raptor pickup last night that was all done in black matte. It looked really mean. Undecided on how the look is on a Mini.

Quick Reply: R56 Flat Black JCW :) (Photos Included) PW/B previously