R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Back to the dealer again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Amber Smith
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello this is my first post on here I believe... So last summer had to get the timing chain/ tensioner replaced. So the past few days been hearing that god awful noise again only when I start the car and drive for like 5 min then it goes away. But only happens I the car sits for a couple hours or more and start it back up. No lights flashing or anything yet like when I heard the noise before getting it replaced. So I am taking it back tomorrow to get looked at. Just annoyed! Had the thermostat replaced as well recently. Love the mini but it has became an investment. Any pointers for when I take it back in tomorrow? And yes I checked the oil it's all good.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
MiniMiAmor
1st Gear
Good luck. Had my tensioner go bad as well as my chain guide break into pieces, preventing me from being able to insert my dipstick all the way in (not a metaphor).

$1500 later and it got fixed. Could've been more butt mechanic saved me 9.0 labor hours by lifting the motor straight up and out. The official method is to remove the front end and grab another $1k or so from your wallet. That's why it's good to find a good mechanic, as a Mini dealer has to do it by the (expensive) book.

And now my airbag light is on. $180 just to tell me what the issue is. :/

'07 R56 / 88k miles

Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 AM
avenger
2nd Gear
you sure you're not just hearing the cold startup noise? Do you have an MCS?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Amber Smith
Neutral
Originally Posted by avenger
you sure you're not just hearing the cold startup noise? Do you have an MCS?
I have a 2007 cooper s. I never heard it before only when I had that issue before and had to get the timing chain/tensioner replaced. This morning I checked my oil again I have not checked in about two weeks and it seems non existent. So I put a quart in. I pulled my car out of the garage and turned it off then checked it again just didn't feel right but now it's way over filled. Makes no sense why didn't it show up on the dip stick at all when I first checked it! I had to go to work drove fine no noises or anything. Maybe it needed oil but from checking it its over filled now. I did let it run 5 min longer at idle before driving. This car has a mind of its own idk what to do. I was thinking about canceling my appointment at mini today to save the $100 diagnosis fee if there is nothing wrong and take it in if it starts again. I am not a mechanic but I know a thing or two about cars. All I had before was 2 Acura rsx type s's this is a completely different animal. Never thought this car would come with so many issues.

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
If you don't hear the noise don't take it in. I bet it was the low oil. Don't know how many miles you drive but I try to check every time I get gas. One other small check you can do is to make sure the tensioner bolt hasn't backed out at all or is slightly loose. Keep it tight!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Amber Smith
Neutral
Originally Posted by Velocityvic
If you don't hear the noise don't take it in. I bet it was the low oil. Don't know how many miles you drive but I try to check every time I get gas. One other small check you can do is to make sure the tensioner bolt hasn't backed out at all or is slightly loose. Keep it tight!
What's weird is that the oil was not low the car just made me think it was then its way over filled. I will check the bolt later ill have to find it lol.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM
highlander709
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Amber Smith
What's weird is that the oil was not low the car just made me think it was then its way over filled. I will check the bolt later ill have to find it lol.
Amber, my guess is your oil was in fact low when you checked it first and it only appeared overfilled after you checked it again. The way the MCS dip stick works, there is often error in reading it as overfilled, when in fact it isn't. Pulling the stick out and reinserting into the tube pulls oil up into the tube and when you check it it shows up on the stick above where the actual oil level is in the oil pan. There are many, many threads on this problem on this forum. Just my thoughts - makes more sense than phantom oil level changes / "mind of it's own".

Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Amber Smith
Neutral
Thank you for the input I was in a rush to get answers instead searching the forum. Had to be to work today and cannot be browsing the net all day. When I get down time I will check them out.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another practice I always try to follow is... Never start/run for a short period of time (like moving into the garage after washing). If I let it sit all night after doing that, I had a good chance of getting the rattle. I think it has something to do with the tensioner not getting fully pumped up during the short run period and then being very slack for the next morning start. I always take it for a bit of spin if I need to do a quick move.

But as everyone said.... watch the oil level.