R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New Tires - Warning Signs Illuminated

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 AM
alexdelove
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires - Warning Signs Illuminated

Dear gents,

2010 R56, about 33K miles, US model. Had local tire shop take off winter tires and put on new set of summer Bridgestones few days ago.

Since then, every other day or so the brake failure indicator (red circle, ! symbol with brake pads around it) together with suspention system failed indicator (yellow circle with arrow, triangle with ! sign, and another ! next to it) had began to illuminate for few minutes and then dissapear and clear. This happens under normal driving conditions.

Brake pads both rear and front are fairly new and have many miles to go. Brake fluid level is middle between max and min. Braking action unchanged, handling action unchanged. Manual brake operates nominally.

Has anyone experienced the same situation? I'll be inspecting the car in few days but curious if something was pinched/bent/damaged during tire change to cause possibly errouneous or real warnings? can't think of what it may be - the wheels came off, new tires mounted and balanced, wheels put back on. Not the first time tires were changed out on this car.

thank in advance for any help,
Alex...

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the might have moved or messed up the brake life indicator and or the other sensor attached to the hub. Can you post pictures of each of the screens from the tach?

Sounds like a DSC light is the 2nd problem but hard to completely comprehend.

Also, did you call them or take it back yet to ask what they did?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
alexdelove
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you yetti96,

I agree. Raised the car, inspected all wheel sensors. Nothing unusual. All attached, wires good. Did notice one of the brake wear sensors sleeving backed off, exposing the bare wire. Pulled the sleeving back on. It's been dry last few days, so it's unlikely it's been moisture getting in and shorting the wire out.

Going through all the maintenance screens, noticed that brake fluid will be due in 2 months. I'll flush it in next couple of weeks. I cannot imaging that my braking action with winter tires was that much "gentler" that with newer tires braking action improved and the system is that sensitive that it began to complaint about brake system so close to next required brake fluid flush period. Doesn't make sense.

I'm attaching the pics of the tach displays. They light up and dissapear within 30 seconds, every other day or so now.

Any clues would be appreciated.
Alex...

Attached Thumbnails New Tires - Warning Signs Illuminated-img_4043.jpg   New Tires - Warning Signs Illuminated-img_4044.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You seem to be misinformed about how the brake sensors work. When the pads wear, the contact is broken, this creates an open circuit and that causes the light. If it were me, I'd pull the brake wear sensor at the plug and check for continuity. Or easier still, just replace the sensor, and pads. (Usually, you kill the sensor trying to remove it from old brake pads.)

Got no clue about the other light.