R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sell me on R56

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sell me on R56

I'm determined to get back into a MINI after 3 years since selling my '05 MCSC. I've heard a lot of bad things about the turbo'd N14/18. So I think I'm looking at an Justacooper - either R50 or R56.

What reasons should I look at to sway me toward the second gen? I know the general positives - more efficient, smoother, more 'mature'. Those do sound good (except maybe more mature).

If I do decide to go the R56 route, what are the options and other keys I should look for?

TIA,
Tony

Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing is that bad on a n18. I had my thermostat replaced at 23-24k miles and two other recalls done too.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you do a lot of research on these forums you're bound to think these cars are crap because people post here after they have a problem. I have had zero out of warranty expenses on my 08. I'd say get an S if you want the power. I test drove a standard MINI before I ordered mine and they just don't have enough power.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
People don't typically need to be "sold" on a MINI. They either know they want one or they don't. Big Jim is right about being careful reading some of the comments here. This can become a place to ***** and moan sometimes.

That being said, I have had three non-S MINIs, and none of them have had reliability issues. Straight line acceleration is slower than an S, but they are definitely not underpowered. You just have to know how to drive them. In the twisties, they will hold their own with an S, and the reliability is usually better than the S cars.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
OP please don't think that the Cooper is perfect, every MINI is different. Some are gems and some are lemons. I'm at 51k miles on my MCS, and he's been awesome so far. My Cooper '08 was a lemon, gave it away at 38k miles. So keep in mind, no MINI is perfect, unless you never drive it and store it most of the year haha. Problems can occur for any model MINI makes.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 07 MCS and I have only had to replace the timing chain tensioner which cost me a hundred bucks and i dont consider to be that big of a deal. Other then that i have had no major issues. Just regular maintance. I love my car. If you can find a S with low mileage I would get it. The turbo is just to fun to pass up.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
I'm determined to get back into a MINI after 3 years since selling my '05 MCSC. I've heard a lot of bad things about the turbo'd N14/18. So I think I'm looking at an Justacooper - either R50 or R56.

What reasons should I look at to sway me toward the second gen? I know the general positives - more efficient, smoother, more 'mature'. Those do sound good (except maybe more mature).

If I do decide to go the R56 route, what are the options and other keys I should look for?

TIA,
Tony
How did you like the 05' MCSC? Any problems? Which transmission? Which options? Anything you really liked or disliked?

What is your budget? What sort of driving do you have planned for the MINI?
What is your approach to driving? Utility, fun and sporty, high mpg?

There are many options.

Since you already have lived with the 05' you know the interior, the supercharged engine, and the meager storage.

The R56 had bigger interior changes, Sport button, some exterior changes but overall was somewhat close to the R50 in base cooper trim.

If you are considering an R50 the 2006 or later years had the better transmissions. You are more likely to find one with low miles at a decent price.

info on used R50/R53-
http://www.edmunds.com/mini/cooper/?...chback&ps=used

I think for most owners either model of base Cooper will work. If you care about the audio system the R50 takes a standard head unit which is easy to install.

My 2003 MCS is in great shape, inside it looks nearly new and not dated, but then I have kept it up. I have sat in the R56 but it never really appealed to me.

If you do find an R50 with a worn out driver's seat, it's easy to buy a replacement seat cover that matches the stock ones. You can install either front seat and even the back and keep the airbag function. An auto upholsterer can do the install.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Familiar with MINI but not so much the R56 and I should know better than take the failure reports as too worrisome. I had heard the same things on my '05 MCSC with the aisin six speed auto. We got a chance to walk around a pepper white and black Clubman S today and was impressed. More importantly, the better half was really impressed and she's an SUV girl.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I own and DD an R50 and I've driven a few R56 Coopers, one on a small track. You really can't go wrong either way. The power bump in the second gen isn't huge but it does FEEL more torquey in my opinion. If you want a comfortable DD, get the R56. If you want a raw, noisy canyon carver, get the R50.

Also keep in mind it's a lot easier to get an aftermarket head unit in the R50, if that's something you're interested in.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first mini was a 2006 Justa, then I upgraded to my 2012 a year later. The variable lift in the later cars makes a HUGE difference in everyday driveability and really tips the scales IMO. The R50 justas are slugs by comparison.

More mature is definitely the word for the R56. Whenever I get in my co-drivers R50 now it feels like a cheap toy. Noisy, tons of rattles, cheap looking and feeling plastic (esp the control stalks). I never noticed such things when I had my R50 but after a year and a 1/2 with my R56 they just leap out at you.

The handling isn't that different either. They both feel like Minis. And really, the R50s aren't that much lighter than a low option R56. With the JCW suspension (which I have but don't recommend for a DD), my current car would pound my sport suspension R50.

I do think the R50s are better looking, but I wouldn't go back to the interior and engine. Tons of people on here will defend the MCS, but do you really want to take the chance that your DD will be puking out timing system parts every 40k miles? They aren't that much faster, and certainly not fast enough to be worth the potential hassles. *flame suit on*

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Since I want a Clubman, that means R55 (second gen so the rules still apply). Now the big decision is N16 versus N18 - turbo versus non. I also have seen a 2011 JCW that is really tempting me.

Last edited by cadfael_tex; 05-29-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: corrected engine numbers
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by archdukeferdinand
My first mini was a 2006 Justa, then I upgraded to my 2012 a year later. The variable lift in the later cars makes a HUGE difference in everyday driveability and really tips the scales IMO. The R50 justas are slugs by comparison.

More mature is definitely the word for the R56. Whenever I get in my co-drivers R50 now it feels like a cheap toy. Noisy, tons of rattles, cheap looking and feeling plastic (esp the control stalks). I never noticed such things when I had my R50 but after a year and a 1/2 with my R56 they just leap out at you.

The handling isn't that different either. They both feel like Minis. And really, the R50s aren't that much lighter than a low option R56. With the JCW suspension (which I have but don't recommend for a DD), my current car would pound my sport suspension R50.

I do think the R50s are better looking, but I wouldn't go back to the interior and engine. Tons of people on here will defend the MCS, but do you really want to take the chance that your DD will be puking out timing system parts every 40k miles? They aren't that much faster, and certainly not fast enough to be worth the potential hassles. *flame suit on*
My N18 is obviously different compared to the N14. I'm at 51k miles, my MCS hasn't puked yet:-).

Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
The JCW is hard to resist. The JCW engine includes quite a few internal upgrades. I love my S but if buying today the JCW would be pulling pretty hard on me. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Reading some info on the N18 engine lead to a question. Does the 2011 JCW still have the N14 engine? It seemed at times that I read the JCW didn't get the N18 until 2013.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Reading some info on the N18 engine lead to a question. Does the 2011 JCW still have the N14 engine? It seemed at times that I read the JCW didn't get the N18 until 2013.
That is correct.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by archdukeferdinand

well said, +1!

I'd only buy an R53/50 if it were a non rust belt car and it wasn't a DD.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
All I can say is my R56 really put the fun back in driving!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
HKSpeed
2nd Gear
do R50s require premium fuel? I'm annoyed how the justa R56 needs premium for such a weak engine. Makes total sense to require premium on the turbo.

Last edited by HKSpeed; 05-30-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HKSpeed
do R50s require premium fuel? I'm annoyed how the justa R56 needs premium for such a weak engine. Makes total sense to require premium on the turbo.
When did they say to use Premium fuel on a Cooper? I haven't given that model much attention lately but if true, that's a lie from the dealer/manufacturer. 87 and 89 octane is good for that model.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM
HKSpeed
2nd Gear
premium seems to be the consensus for the base r56 on this forum. perhaps because the manual and gas lid/door has messages recommending premium, or perhaps because Mini owners don't mind paying 20 cents more per gallon. for me paying more for fuel negates the higher MPG of a small engine. i think Mini recommends premium on the base engine because of it's high 11:1 compression ratio, which is disappointing for a 1.6 engine that makes only 120hp.

Last edited by HKSpeed; 05-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I'm having the same thoughts...

I sold my R53 a few years ago and want to pick up another MINI. Looking at a hardtop S... Would appreciate any thoughts/feedback

Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Well we just got our 2011 R-56 one day ago.
BRG with White roof & Polar Beige leather interior.
Loaded-up with options.
Purchased here at local Mini Dealer and traded in locally.

So I checked it all out took it for a day or so and wife said, (This is Me) so done deal.

Oh I did drop by my local (15-minutes from this computer) Discount Tire Store.
Ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Good-Buy "Run Flats" and good riddance.
They should be here possibly tomorrow.
Looking forward to getting them installed and as I said so long Run-Flats.

Driving this one is a BLAST especially if you push the Sport-Btn.

Oh this one has the 6-sp. Auto Tranny.

Hey probably little point in me wasting your time talking about driving it as you all already know about that I'm sure.

Luv the Harman Kardon audio system with the Satellite Radio.
It is Awesome I think and even has Bass which is nice and honestly unexpected.

I can't sale someone on one of these other than to say after all the vehicles I have gone through this is just one Bad-Machine !!!

Terry

Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Well we just got our 2011 R-56 one day ago.
BRG with White roof & Polar Beige leather interior.
Loaded-up with options.
Purchased here at local Mini Dealer and traded in locally.

So I checked it all out took it for a day or so and wife said, (This is Me) so done deal.

Oh I did drop by my local (15-minutes from this computer) Discount Tire Store.
Ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Good-Buy "Run Flats" and good riddance.
They should be here possibly tomorrow.
Looking forward to getting them installed and as I said so long Run-Flats.

Driving this one is a BLAST especially if you push the Sport-Btn.

Oh this one has the 6-sp. Auto Tranny.

Hey probably little point in me wasting your time talking about driving it as you all already know about that I'm sure.

Luv the Harman Kardon audio system with the Satellite Radio.
It is Awesome I think and even has Bass which is nice and honestly unexpected.

I can't sale someone on one of these other than to say after all the vehicles I have gone through this is just one Bad-Machine !!!

Terry
What were you driving before this?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
What were you driving before this?
Hi

We had a 2007 HAH (Honda Accord Hybrid) I purchased new.
Loaded-up ......
We kept the HAH longer than any vehicle we ever have had.
It only had 33K miles when we traded it on the 2011 MCS Hardtop.

Luv this MCS though it is a real riot for sure.
It does run very well and the 6-Sp. Auto Tranny rocks.

Not as powerful as my Limited Edition 08 Highly Modified Bullitt Mustang with 700 Crank-HP.
But you know what, who cares this MCS is just simply an "Awesome" machine.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi

We had a 2007 HAH (Honda Accord Hybrid) I purchased new.
Loaded-up ......
We kept the HAH longer than any vehicle we ever have had.
It only had 33K miles when we traded it on the 2011 MCS Hardtop.

Luv this MCS though it is a real riot for sure.
It does run very well and the 6-Sp. Auto Tranny rocks.

Not as powerful as my Limited Edition 08 Highly Modified Bullitt Mustang with 700 Crank-HP.
But you know what, who cares this MCS is just simply an "Awesome" machine.
Awesome. I went from the MINI to a 335i and it was a nice change, but I feel like I need another MINI so I've been shopping.

Quick Reply: R56 Sell me on R56