R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 For the same money - MCS w/lotsa options or JCW w/less options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the same money - MCS w/lotsa options or JCW w/less options?

I know it's been discussed before but couldn't find any threads less than 6 months old, so to get the latest opinions, I'm gonna ask again:

What are the pros/cons of the JCW vs. an MCS? You can get a lot of goodies for $6,000 or so...

Situation: Had a MCS years ago, sold it, missed it a lot. Wife just got a new Countryman S and now I have Mini envy. Was looking at a MCS hatch, manual, with some goodies. This will be my DD, mostly. Was looking at a coupe or roadster but will be keeping my S2000 for those fun summer days, so the hatch makes more sense for me.

Question: I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to, so I'm leaning toward the MCS with Tech, Connected, sunroof, and most stuff in the premium packages...but if I was careful, I could cut some options and stretch for the JCW. For a car that will be driven year-round, is the JCW a good choice or would an MCS do better for a commuter? I have a one-hour each way commute every day - would the JCW beat me up a lot more than the MCS?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames? Helpful opinions?

Thanks, all...

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no difference in the driveability between the two as a DD. You will get more smiles with the JCW if you enjoy driving spiritedly.

Very strangely I am getting about 10% better gas mileage on my 2012 N14 JCW than I was with my 2011 N18 MCS.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I notice your options on the MCS don't include the JCW interior or exterior packages. So it's just a matter of horses for you.

If those options you want are important to you and you want to keep the cost reasonable, appears the MCS is the MINI for you.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Horses, yes. But also brakes and suspension, but if the suspension is too harsh, maybe I should stick with the MCS...

I love the Minis, but hate the choices! LOL!!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
If it were me, I'd sell the S2000 and get a JCW roadster. Having a Mini and a S2000 seems surpufulous to me. You just won't appreciate the other one as much as you should.

If you are dead set on keeping the S2000, get an Accord or some other yucky car.

(Says the guy with a supercharged E36 M3 and an Italian sportbike...lol)

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
I notice your options on the MCS don't include the JCW interior or exterior packages. So it's just a matter of horses for you.

If those options you want are important to you and you want to keep the cost reasonable, appears the MCS is the MINI for you.
Don't forget the huge Brembo brakes and more torque which gives you more linear power at lower rpms. For that reason alone, I think the JCW is more driveable, especially in non sport mode.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
If it were me, I'd sell the S2000 and get a JCW roadster. Having a Mini and a S2000 seems surpufulous to me. You just won't appreciate the other one as much as you should.

If you are dead set on keeping the S2000, get an Accord or some other yucky car.

Believe me, I thought about moving the S2K and going all in on a topless Mini, but I know I'd miss the S2K if it was gone - the RWD dynamics and balance on that car are second to none. I also just got out of a sportbike and into a Harley bagger, which is great when the weather's nice. For my DD, I'd actually be trading out of a Volvo S60 AWD, which has actually been a good commuter but just ain't fun. I'd been commuting in the S2K and an old Jeep, but they beat my kidneys to death...I think I'd have some of the same problems in either a JCW or an MCS.

Hell, I might just keep the Volvo. Aarrgghh!! Decisions, decisions!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 AM
OwenRW
1st Gear
Personally, for a DD I'd get the MCS with lots of options.

When you're stuck in a traffic jam crawling along at 15 mph it doesn't matter how much power you have or what the handling/acceleration/braking is like, but having 'toys' such as auto-wipers and lights, mini-connected, etc will make it a lot less painful.

Plus you already have an S2000, for when you want to have some fun...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Horses, yes. But also brakes and suspension, but if the suspension is too harsh, maybe I should stick with the MCS...

I love the Minis, but hate the choices! LOL!!
Unless you are getting the JCW suspension as an option the suspension is the same between JCW and MCS.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:46 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Owen, thanks - that was my original thought, too - but the people talking about extra torque and bigger brakes make a compelling point, too.

Guess I'll just need to drive them both back-to-back and see if the JCW really makes sense for me...

Thanks, everyone, for the inputs!! How lucky are we to even have choices like this to make??

Old 06-21-2013, 07:46 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
I've had both an S convertible without a lot of options, I think the HK radio and sport suspension were it, and a JCW Clubman with just about everything except a sunroof.

I have more fun in the JCW plus it blew the doors off the S cars during my last track day (I drove a faster time than one of the instructors in my car vs his S Clubman). Can't get much more apples to apples than that.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Your situation sounds a lot like mine…an hour’s commute or so twice a day, might as well have an interesting ride, right? I went back/forth on this quite a bit, once I was resigned to buying a pretty nice ($$) MINI.

W/r/t commuting, difference in ride, being “beat up” and so forth: left alone, both cars have the same suspension. Both *could* have Sport Suspension as an option, which of course is firmer. I drive mostly smooth(ish) Interstates, so I don’t regret choosing the Sport Suspension option.

So: a loaded MCS, or a less loaded JCW? The JCW brings you a “real” JCW engine, 208hp and some internals differences that are worth having. It provides JCW rims, JCW exhaust, big JCW brakes, and some cosmetic changes (red stitching on some stuff, emblems) and the JCW aero body kit. And the joy of having a “real” JCW and potential membership in the Red Roof Club . Seven grand’ish for all of that, and pricing the stuff later, the round numbers are $2k for the body kit (not installed), $2k for the big brake kit (not installed), and $2k for the JCW tuning kit (that doesn’t quite duplicate the JCW engine, of course, but it’s a nice boost). Then JCW Challenge wheels, say another $1-$1.5k plus 17” tires if you didn’t get those.

My choice was easier, once I settled on Ice Blue. MINI won’t make you an Ice Blue JCW, period. So that free’d up that $7k or so to spend on stuff. Leather seats, leather dash, comfort access, xenons, auto a/c, HarmonKardon, etc. etc. I’m switching between Android and iPhone about every six months, so the iPhone-centeredness of MINI Connected put me off. So, not making that $$ choice helped me make the mental leap to spring for the JCW tuning kit, which I’ve really enjoyed having.

I’ve since sprung for JCW rims when I bought my summer, non-RFTs, I just really like that wheel design.

Hopefully this helps you clarify? Anyhow, that’s the thought process I had when I bought mine in early 2012.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Neither model will beat your kidneys to death. Very nice ride, and I have the JCW!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Find a 12 certified JCW with all the options you want. You have MINI envy now, promise you will have JCW envy later. DO IT!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini///m
find a 12 certified jcw with all the options you want. You have mini envy now, promise you will have jcw envy later. Do it!
+1

Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear

Now you have to fill us in on the bike! Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Bimota? Triumph Speed Triple here!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I'm gonna guess Duc...

Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
guitar_player
Neutral
For a DD, just get the MCS and save some coin. I bought a base '13 MCS a few weeks back and it's plenty as a DD and very comfortable. I came from a '10 WRX with exhaust and suspension upgrade + tune (or downgrade as my wife puts it lol).
So I sold it and got a new base MCS and a 94 miata for my RWD/vert cravings .
There is nothing I feel I am missing with the base. It comes with USB/aux input (can play music from flash drive and ipod) and bluetooth. Seats plenty comfortable.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Just to rehash what others said:

- you can get the same suspension in the JCW and MCS, except for the optional red-spring JCW upgrade. I would think that the base JCW suspension with the 17" wheels would be a nice setup for a DD.

- Color choices are limited, if you are set on a certain color, you may be forced into a choice.

- Can you still order either one, or are you stuck searching inventory?
- My vote would be for the JCW, but I would also spring for the JCW body kit. That sets the car apart.
- I would not skip the heated seats, they are really nice on those cold October mornings. I don't have the lumbar seats, I'm really happy with the way that the sport seats fit me.
- I am OK with the halogen headlights, but some people say that the xenons are a requirement also, depending on how much you drive at night.

Drive both, and see if the $50/month makes a difference to you. You need a set of comfortable seats and a decent ride.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven both an S2K (2006.) and a bunch of MINI's, including a Roadster S although not JCW. I'd keep the S2K, something about that punchy little RWD roadster I just loved that the MINI roadster just doesn't match, IMO.

Also please post a picture of your E36 M3, I really want to get my hands on one of those.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Well, thanks to everyone for the advice...

Said the hell with it, traded off the S2000 and a Volvo and got a JCW Clubman...I know I'll miss the S2000 some, but I really wasn't driving it much & the insurance was brutal, even with me being an old fart...so we're officially a 2-Mini family!

Thanks again for all the input.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Appears you bought one off the lot. Saved yourself a lot of the anxiety of going through the order process. Of course, some of us enjoy the wait.

Congrats ! You know, owning MINIs is kind of like eating a Lays potato chip... you can't have just one.

A pic would make this thread a lot better.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
The Wine Guy
1st Gear
I went through the exact same assessment this weekend and settled on an MCS with the JCW exterior and interior options, performance and technology packages for $31,600 MSRP. An equally equipped JCW was $5k more and the lease residual is less on the JCW. The dealer told me JCW cars tend to be driven more aggressively and some are returned trashed.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
I've given this a fair amount of thought a while back. Both cars are equally potent and there really isn't that much difference between them. The JCW brakes are touchier for daily driving, but I bent they would shine on track. I could feel the extra power, but it definitely wasn't a 'WOW' upgrade.

I'm perfectly happy with my Coupe S. If I had the money? **** yeah, I would have a JCW sitting in my garage just because I can; it's not like I'm missing out on anything with the S though.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I'd get the JCW.

It depends how much you want those options. We just did swap an MCS for a JCW, and I'm really happy about it. They were both optioned just as we wanted them, but we don't want that many options, just the Auto A/C and sport suspension are indispensable, everything else we could do without. The power is well worth it.

I think the JCW rides fine as a commuter, that's what I use it for. I was a little apprehensive about the 17" wheels, but with decent tires (Conti DW, not runflats), its fine even with the sport suspension. (Suspension options are the same between the JCW and the S.)

I'm not good at getting good gas mileage out of any MINI, I get 23.1mpg (vs 25.5 out of the S).

Quick Reply: R56 For the same money - MCS w/lotsa options or JCW w/less options?