R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oddities

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddities

So I'll start off by saying, last year I messed up my car pretty good. I did about $8,000 worth of damage to the car. Ever since, the car just hasn't felt right, or the same at all. I'm really worried about some of the things, really.

Anyhow, the red car labeled "service" has come on my RPM display. What does this mean? Does this mean the car needs a complete service or? Also, when the A/C compressor is on, I hear a whining noise I didn't hear before the car was damaged. Also, recently it's making a loud whistling noise. Is that my turbo? Because, I hadn't heard it all that loud before.

Last thing, when the A/C compressor is on, the fan is really loud and rarely shuts off. I also don't remember this being the case before. The car is really rough on idle now, which wasn't the case before. The overall performance of the A/C just doesn't feel like it used to either. These things are really starting to bug me.

I'm not great with cars and am kind of worried with the car at it's current state. When I got the work done, they told me they put a new exhaust on the car but, still kept my old muffler. Doesn't that sound a little fishy or?

Any help or just you telling me I sound a little paranoid would be appreciated. I can also provide videos and pictures of anything you need. I don't really have the money to be bringing it up to the MINI dealer to look at it for a crazy amount of money. What do you guys think?

Edit: Also, there's a rattling noise in my engine bay, and have no idea where it's coming from.

Last edited by cdboss; 06-28-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The light means you're past the date or mileage to get a major or minor service. (Which one depends on the mileage and age of the car.) MINI naturally wants you to go to the dealer for service; they should have records of all of the dealer-performed maintenance and can do the right stuff.

A good independent shop will probably know which service is needed, either by reading the car (I think that info may be available) or just by mileage and such. Use one that is experienced with BMWs and/or MINIs if you can.

Not sure about your other problems, though.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
What does the service cover? Is it just a basic tune-up? I took it in about 6 months ago to get my intake valves cleaned, because my check engine light was one and I'm surprised they didn't say anything. Usually they're pretty aggressive with that kind of stuff, but, yeah.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know what it covers exactly. The dealer or a good shop would know, though.

The Owner's Manual may tell you what is involved. If you don't have one, visit the Owner's Lounge over at miniusa.com and you can download a PDF of all but the newest ones.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
I have one. I'll take a look when I get a chance. Thank you.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
All your complaints are a little vague. For the rattle, the first place to check is the timing chain.
Let the car cool down (overnight or sitting several hours), then start it up with the hood open. Get out and listen to the cover directly left of the engine, immediately next to it. The cover is rectangular, about 8x14 or so. The timing chain is under that. If that is where the rattle is coming from, you may have a problem. You will need have the slack measured. Chances are, you need a new tensioner or whole assembly. Google timing chain problems mini cooper, also search youtube and you can hear what it sounds like. Just had mine replaced (whole assembly) and it was 1200 at a euro specialty shop.
How many miles are on the car? Might be worth it just to get the whole thing inspected.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you located? It's very possible you may have a fellow member nearby who may be able to diagnose things a little easier in person. If you were near Omaha, I'd be happy to have a look.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Where are you located? It's very possible you may have a fellow member nearby who may be able to diagnose things a little easier in person. If you were near Omaha, I'd be happy to have a look.
I'm actually in South New Jersey, basically the Philadelphia area.

I'm sorry it's a little vague, I only know really the basics about cars but, I'll try my best to answer any questions. The rattle sounds like it's coming from near the head. The car has about 72k miles on it. I haven't changed the spark plugs or the air filter since I got the car in October 2011. Do you think it'd be time to do one?

Also, like I said, I can make a video of the rattle if you guys need that's not a problem. Or anything else.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What town? I'm in 08077 NJ. Right off 73/130.

Your also near Mini of Mt Laurel and Helix Motorsports over in Philly.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
What town? I'm in 08077 NJ. Right off 73/130.

Your also near Mini of Mt Laurel and Helix Motorsports over in Philly.
I'm in 08021, Lindenwold. Probably like 15 minutes or so from the Mini of Mt. Laurel. The last time I took my car to them, I found a screw in my rain catch under my hood. I still can't figure out where the screw goes at all.

Anyhow, when I took it to them, my check engine light was on. They told me that I have carbon in my intake valves and they needed to clean it. That was a crazy amount of money, luckily I had an aftermarket warranty that paid for half of it.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Bring it over. We'll scan it for free.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Bring it over. We'll scan it for free.
You guys have a website I can check out?

Edit: Nevermind I'm retarded. I'll check it out.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Hey guys, quick update. So I was on YouTube, just checking out a couple of videos. I came across a guy's video that has the same rattle that I do, when he was showing off the ALTA turbo boost tube install. Maybe it's just a noise the engine makes? I'm not sure, but this is exactly what it sounds like.

Don't know, what do you guys think? Hopefully you can hear what I'm hearing, lol. It's at 8 minutes 45 seconds, since it's embedding the player.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's pretty much what mine sounds like... The HPFP makes quite a rattle/racket.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
cdboss
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
That's pretty much what mine sounds like... The HPFP makes quite a rattle/racket.
Alright, so then it should be normal. The only one things is the whistling noise, which I'm sure is just my turbo and the whining noise when my compressor is on. Thanks for the help, danjreed.