R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If you haven't, go test drive a FIAT Abarth

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JT///MC
Actually, I find the Mini to be pretty ugly too. Its how fun they are to drive that got me. Otherwise, if solely based on looks, the Mini isn't winning any beauty contests either.
Originally Posted by JT///MC
. BMW, aka MINI, is trying to STEAL your money with the stuff they are selling now. The only car worth a hoot is the GP. Are you getting 10k better of a car with an MCS vs. Abarth? I don't think so. No way, not even close. You care getting maybe 5k more of a better car, at best. These are cheap little fun cars and the materials/workmanship are not that much different.

. If you want a fun little car thats not expensive, then the Abarth is the WAY better deal. If you want to spend 10-15k for a marginally better psuedo BMW, then thats your money to spend. But a Mini isn't night and day better for sure.
I say we all chip in and buy JT a Fiat !! I'd say $.75 a member should do it.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
MINI Marvin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have driven a Fiat 500 (given as a loaner when my MINI was in the shop). The biggest issue I have with that car that I am surprised is not mentioned in reviews is the horrible visibility on the drivers side. The pillar behind the driver is so big when I looked over my left shoulder it was in the way (e.g. when pulling onto a highway). The mirror on the driver side is setup with a convex mirror like a Ford van so you can see that spot. Personally that was very uncomfortable for me to drive.

One thing I love about the MINI is the visibility; it is very easy to see out of when driving. Sure I could adapt to using the mirrors more (which I probably should do anyway) but it just seemed like a poor design decision to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
Italian babes! Probably pick up more in a Mini!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by funkle
I'm 6 feet tall, and when I sit in my friend's Abarth, my head touches the headliner next to the sun roof. I asked him how you lower the seat, and he said you cannot. With a racing helmet on forget about it. This would be a deal killer for me.
It doesn't have hight adjustment?

Both the 500s we hired in Britain has a height adjustment. Now the height adjustment was actually useless, as it just lowered the back of the seat cushion, it didn't alter the back in anyway. So you just feel your bum being swallowed up by the gap behind the seat cushion, totally useless.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Gsxr-mil
2nd Gear
The true comparison will be 5-7 years from now since the Fiat just came out and it's just the new kid on the block and for that it's getting a lot more credit than it should. But my prediction is that 5-7 years from now, a 2013 Fiat Agbarth will be worth around 7k, where a 2013 Mini S will probably be worth double that if not more! Lots a new models get lots of credit when they first come out but after some time ,their reputation fades away after people realize they all had the same common fever. I love my Mini for what it is and not because it's cool to have something new.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
LOL - I love this thread. Bravo to the OP for the provocation.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gsxr-mil
The true comparison will be 5-7 years from now since the Fiat just came out and it's just the new kid on the block and for that it's getting a lot more credit than it should.
Honestly, I don't see a 2013 Fiat getting more attractive in then next 5-7 years.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
lacarguy
Neutral
Originally Posted by MINILLA
We'll all have different opinions on the cars but I think the 500L beats the Countryman for looks and the FIAT commercials certainly top anything that MINI have come up with
2014 Fiat 500L commercial "The British are coming... the Italians are coming..." - YouTube

I love this ad! But then of course, I have a weakness for Italian cars (I also happen to love British, German and interesting cars of all types).

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Gsxr-mil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
Honestly, I don't see a 2013 Fiat getting more attractive in then next 5-7 years.
Exactly my point.. ; )

Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the MINI and Fiat are both stylish, attractive cars. I think the MINI has a better, more fun history and the Abarth won't come close to my JCW in a straight line or track.

I also like that the MINI has more sophisticated options like the leather dash, Recaro seats and integrated MINI Connected system instead of a little cradle on the dash for navigation.

I also like that the MINI is made in the U.K. like its ancestors, instead of Mexico, which has no relation to the Fiat's roots. The fact that the MINI is engineered by BMW is icing on the cake IMO. Nothing against Fiat owners. I like their cars, I think they are cool and stylish, they just aren't in the same league as the MINI IMO.

You get what you pay for. I don't think the performance, OEM customization and the fit and finish are really comparable on these two brands.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM
EHans
5th Gear
I don't think the 500 is particularly ugly, it just isn't particularly attractive.

The 500L however, I am not sure how that made it into production.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Gsxr-mil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kurtster
I think the MINI and Fiat are both stylish, attractive cars. I think the MINI has a better, more fun history and the Abarth won't come close to my JCW in a straight line or track.

I also like that the MINI has more sophisticated options like the leather dash, Recaro seats and integrated MINI Connected system instead of a little cradle on the dash for navigation.

I also like that the MINI is made in the U.K. like its ancestors, instead of Mexico, which has no relation to the Fiat's roots. The fact that the MINI is engineered by BMW is icing on the cake IMO. Nothing against Fiat owners. I like their cars, I think they are cool and stylish, they just aren't in the same league as the MINI IMO.

You get what you pay for. I don't think the performance, OEM customization and the fit and finish are really comparable on these two brands.
You couldn't have said it better!....

Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsxr-mil
How is that in comparison to the Fiat video? the Fiat was maybe just maybe going 60 mph while the Mini on that video was going well over 100 mph if not close.
And after that triple somersault with a quadruple twist, the Mini stuck the landing.