R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If you haven't, go test drive a FIAT Abarth

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you haven't, go test drive a FIAT Abarth

Please don't stone me. I have had over 7 yrs owning MINIs and wasn't thrilled with the direction MINI was going. When I got my first MINI in 2004, I would go weeks and not see another. Now they seem to be everywhere. I bought my Abarth 6 weeks ago and haven't seen another one here in the Tallahassee area.
The car reminds so much of my 1st gen MINI, but with a way better exhaust note.
Go take a test drive, it may surprise you. Nothing ventured, something lost. Nick

Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will look forward to you coming back here every year, or so, and giving us some updates, including info on the reliability of the Abarth.

Aesthetically, it's just not my cup of tea. But hope you are happy with your decision in the long run.

And btw, I already see nearly as many Abarths as I do MINIs around here. So in a few years, you might have the same issues you currently have with the MINI... if Fiat is lucky.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about the looks. I bet they are fun to drive but a review comparing the JCW to the Abarth said there was no comparison in the performance. The fiat looks like a rollover risk...

Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
yeah, I find it ugly, and I've seen quite a few of them in town here. Not quite as many as mini's but they are there.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Actually, I find the Mini to be pretty ugly too. Its how fun they are to drive that got me. Otherwise, if solely based on looks, the Mini isn't winning any beauty contests either.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seats in the 500 Sport are the most comfortable I have experienced in a car. If fiat had built in navigation, push button start, auto headlights, snap in adapter for my phone, a mini connected type system and home link rear view mirror, I would have purchased a 500 turbo.
I thought the 500 turbo was very comfortable and handled well.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JT///MC
Actually, I find the Mini to be pretty ugly too. Its how fun they are to drive that got me. Otherwise, if solely based on looks, the Mini isn't winning any beauty contests either.
Very surprised by this. I've only met a couple people in my 7 years of owning MINIs who genuinely disliked MINIs. Some are indifferent but very few do not like it. Coming from a MINI owner, that's very odd.

I've seen some MINIs that were not tastefully done. But only a few. And I've seen plenty that are just downright hot and/or stunning.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB

Very surprised by this. I've only met a couple people in my 7 years of owning MINIs who genuinely disliked MINIs. Some are indifferent but very few do not like it. Coming from a MINI owner, that's very odd.

I've seen some MINIs that were not tastefully done. But only a few. And I've seen plenty that are just downright hot and/or stunning.
I love the look of my mini. From certain angles, I have to catch myself so I don't sit there and stare at it.. I love looking at the headlights and taillight a close up. They are intricate and awesome looking. The overall lines of the car are visually pleasing as well

Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Agree. Even my 8 year old R50... when I part it, I turn around while walking away to check it out a few times.

And my new JCW that I take delivery of in about 38 hours... I bet I stare at it for 3 hours or more the first day I have it. And ten years later, I'll still be staring at it several times a day.

And as I said, I've seen many photos of gorgeous MINIs here on the board.

Oh well, to each their own.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
ha ha i do the same! i'll be getting out of my car to walk into my house and the light will hit my car just right or my car is parked just right to give it a hot look and i'll catch myself stopping and staring at it. or wanting to take a picture haha. I think some of us mini owners are just weird.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
We rented an Abarth in England, we didn't find anything which would persuade us away from MINIs. It might have been fun if the suspension wasn't the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced. It was difficult to drive down country roads above 45mph because of its crashing over bumps. Supposedly they've fixed the suspension on later models (we had a '10).

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jordan.burks
ha ha i do the same! i'll be getting out of my car to walk into my house and the light will hit my car just right or my car is parked just right to give it a hot look and i'll catch myself stopping and staring at it. or wanting to take a picture haha. I think some of us mini owners are just weird.
The cooper is just a bitchen looking car,plain and simple.... I love mine (Chile Red). I really do have to catch myself from staring at it.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Naw......

Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
superdoopersauce
1st Gear
I spent a good few weeks with a standard Fiat 500 as a rental. Lovely little car, but the weird up-high seating position kind of ruins the feel for me. And IIRC the Mini is 10 inches longer... that extra bit of length and wheelbase makes a huge difference when you're on the highway. The Mini feels like a well-weighted small car on the highway, very confident. The Fiat 500 feels dodgy and scared. Can't speak for the Abarth though...

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
OP, I test drove an abarth before I got my r56. It was no comparison for me, the mini was hands down better In my opinion. Not to mention the looks of the abarth are just not my cup of tea.

Babe fun tho, let us know how reliable she turns out to be.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Never seen a mini do anything like the second half of this video...

Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
That's just pathetic!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB

Well, I'm not that surprised by your response, as others. This is a Mini forum

But for me, the performance came first, the looks were secondary.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Lmao

Originally Posted by borderwave2
Never seen a mini do anything like the second half of this video... Trofeo Abarth 500, 2 rollovers at Magione 2010 - YouTube
I thought the Abarth was cool at first, until I bought my sons 06 MCS last year. I know, the Abarth is newer and has twin turbo, but I told myself this; if his MINI was that awesome and fun to drive, why not stick with what works for me...

Long story short, Loving my 2013 MCS, and after seeing this VID, LOL...

No Regrets.

Note: Awesome Exhaust note can be developed from an upgraded EXH system and Tune. That would not sell me on picking a Fiat over a MINI.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Avalon786
1st Gear
Never drove the Abarth, considered it though. Drove a regular 500 when they came out. The Abarth is pretty cool in its own way. From the reviews, and extensive research on these cars, seems the Mini pretty much is a step ahead in every way compared to the Fiat. But what matters most, is that you Love what you drive Congrats on the new ride. I'd like to see pics!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by superdoopersauce
I spent a good few weeks with a standard Fiat 500 as a rental. Lovely little car, but the weird up-high seating position kind of ruins the feel for me. And IIRC the Mini is 10 inches longer... that extra bit of length and wheelbase makes a huge difference when you're on the highway. The Mini feels like a well-weighted small car on the highway, very confident. The Fiat 500 feels dodgy and scared. Can't speak for the Abarth though...
agree, pushing the mini on the interstate, it feels the same at 100 as it does at 55. Just completely stable and grounded.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Not a huge fan of the looks, love the exhaust note. Couldn't drive it though, I don't fit in it :/

Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
Please don't stone me. I have had over 7 yrs owning MINIs and wasn't thrilled with the direction MINI was going. When I got my first MINI in 2004, I would go weeks and not see another. Now they seem to be everywhere. I bought my Abarth 6 weeks ago and haven't seen another one here in the Tallahassee area.
The car reminds so much of my 1st gen MINI, but with a way better exhaust note.
Go take a test drive, it may surprise you. Nothing ventured, something lost. Nick
Great to hear you're enjoying your new ride! I had a Fiat Abarth in my sights to replace my Miata, drove a 500 Sport and loved it (just needed more oomph IMO, and the Abarth would solve that). Then they took too long, for me at least, to get a USA version to the market...I'd been hooked by a MINI Cooper S at that point :-). No regrets, but I stay interested in all "interesting" small cars, glad to hear of satisfied owners.

Guida felice!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I agree about the looks. I bet they are fun to drive but a review comparing the JCW to the Abarth said there was no comparison in the performance. The fiat looks like a rollover risk...
True but you realize the Abarth is like 22K out the door right? A well sorted car for 10K or more less where the difference in performance can really only be extracted on a track...

Driven one and they are a hoot.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
eraser
Neutral
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Never seen a mini do anything like the second half of this video... Trofeo Abarth 500, 2 rollovers at Magione 2010 - YouTube
No instead they do this-

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Quick Reply: R56 If you haven't, go test drive a FIAT Abarth