R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Who here does their own mechanical work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM
MiniCruise
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here does their own mechanical work?

Just curious. I recently purchased an 09 MC'S. I get that they have some issues. So I am wondering who on here does their own repairs such as timing chain replacement or other "major" repairs? I realize most people don't do this kind of repair on their own and take it to a shop to get fixed when they have a problem. I am more of a hands on type of guy and my background is internal and ecu mods on late model v8 cars. The mini intrigues me and looking for others with common experience and knowledge.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
I recently purchased a 2007 MCS and I'm doing my own maintenance, but I got an extended warranty that i will use as much as possible for big jobs.
Previous car was 2006 grand prix and I did all repairs on it.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The MINI is a relatively easy car to work on. I've done most of my own maintenance. The most work I've had to do on mine is drop the sub-frame to replace control-arm bushings, but nothing major yet thank God!

I would say the biggest pain with the platform, and BMW in general, is all the special German tools that are required when doing hardcore engine work. Cam holders, timing tools, damper holders... bleh!

Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think the mini crowd is one that generally does their own repairs outside of simple things like brakes/oil changes/etc.

Agreed that all the specialty tools can get irritating. Not to mention the fasteners. Fortunately it seems to be just e-torx and torx. And don't forget the special tools for doing the carbon deposit cleaning on your own!

I'll be installing an LSD this weekend and it's by far and above the biggest job I've tackled on the mini. It's still under warranty so the dealer has been dealing with the timing chain (4 times), carbon deposits (1 time), water pump recall, and leaking axle seals.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
When you drop the subframe when you take the trans out, what almost got me were all the random wires that are clipped to parts of the frame. I was slow to bring it down but you've gotta really be careful that you get them all. I almost snapped one in half that I missed. Other than that, if you've got a small scissor style transmission jack you're good to go.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
I Plan to. ( I have on all my other vehicles..)

Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
m3fan8ic
2nd Gear
I like to work on my cars also and have been. Trying to get a lift in my garage at the end of this year for my bday which will make life so much easier. I got rest of the stuff..air tools etc. Having right tools makes a huge difference and can make hard job lot easy.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
MiniCruise
1st Gear
Good to see that I am not alone! I purchased an extended warranty also but not sure how good it will be if needed for a major repair. I really hope this is a reliable car though and don't need to do anything major for several years.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I do all my own work

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
I don't think the mini crowd is one that generally does their own repairs outside of simple things like brakes/oil changes/etc.
I think you might be way off on this. Many MINIacs do the things you mentioned and a whole lot more. MINIacs always like to push other MINIacs to take the steps necessary to do there own work if at all possible and to avoid the stealership. We MINIacs are always here to help each other anytime they need it. So if you are mechanically inclined we are here to help anyone as much as possible. You could also find other members in your area that can help you. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine (original owner) has 125K on it and the only repair I have paid to have done is LCA bushing replacement.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven't had to do a thing on my MINI, other than some minor mods, but I've always do everything on my other vehicles. I am currently involved in a frame up restoration on an old MG.

I can't imagine anything that I wouldn't feel confident to tackle on my MINI.

Dave

Old 08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do all my own work on my cars and bikes. I'll not let anyone touch my cars. Even though I have a warranty. I wish I could by all my cars without a warranty of any kind. I would save a lot of money. I have at least 14 vehicles. Some of which I have had every part of the car apart at some time. My EVO X has a 850 horsepower capable motor and has been totally taken apart. So I'm a roadster owner and have done four oil changes in the first 15,000 miles. The suspension, all the under panels, front splitter, blacked out all the exterior, Rennline peddles and floor panels, Helix inter cooler, almost all the NM parts you can purchase. Alignment with rear control arms etc. I'll also be redoing the interior soon with new stereo and speedo and tach faces.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Braminator
I think you might be way off on this. Many MINIacs do the things you mentioned and a whole lot more. MINIacs always like to push other MINIacs to take the steps necessary to do there own work if at all possible and to avoid the stealership. We MINIacs are always here to help each other anytime they need it. So if you are mechanically inclined we are here to help anyone as much as possible. You could also find other members in your area that can help you. Just my 2 cents.
I have to agree with Braminator on that. Buy the Bentley manual, read up on the many "How To" threads, figure out the parts you need and you're good to go.

Installed Koni FSD shocks, front brakes and rotors and replaced timing chain tensioner last year. Replaced spark plugs, and belt tensioner in the past few weeks. Will be replacing the turbo oil lines with the Detroit Tuned package and the Way turbo blanket tomorrow.

Enjoy doing my own repairs, I'd just like to do less of them!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCruise
Good to see that I am not alone! I purchased an extended warranty also but not sure how good it will be if needed for a major repair. I really hope this is a reliable car though and don't need to do anything major for several years.
my extended is aftermarket and has already replaced the turbo oil lines, valve gasket and complete timing chain assembly (in the first 6 weeks). I pointed them at what to look at so hopefully I'm good to go for a while

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I do all my own work
yeah, right, I'm calling BS on this one...

Originally Posted by gregsmini
I have to agree with Braminator on that. Buy the Bentley manual, read up on the many "How To" threads, figure out the parts you need and you're good to go.

Installed Koni FSD shocks, front brakes and rotors and replaced timing chain tensioner last year. Replaced spark plugs, and belt tensioner in the past few weeks. Will be replacing the turbo oil lines with the Detroit Tuned package and the Way turbo blanket tomorrow.

Enjoy doing my own repairs, I'd just like to do less of them!
the bentley manual is next on my list. Did my first oil change (had car 2k miles) and napa sold me the wrong f-ing filter. So I had to put the original back in. Will give the oil 1k miles and then some seafoam before changing it again with the proper filter.
Next up is the airbox, going to open it just for fun, spark plugs, coils (maybe), changing all other fluids (I like to know when things were done last), and a carbon clean. Already have a list of stuff to buy for that one.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM
dicej32
1st Gear
It really is satisfying to do your own work. I've had my '08 Cooper S for 3 weeks and I've already done rear swaybar, springs, camber plates and wheel studs. Have done work on all my cars and will continue to do so.

JR

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dicej32
It really is satisfying to do your own work. I've had my '08 Cooper S for 3 weeks and I've already done rear swaybar, springs, camber plates and wheel studs. Have done work on all my cars and will continue to do so.

JR
yep, wife doesn't understand that...

Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 AM
fladale
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=v10climber;3784958]I don't think the mini crowd is one that generally does their own repairs outside of simple things like brakes/oil changes/etc.

That is the difference between the original mini (1960s) and SOME of todays mini owners. We are not afraid to get our fingernails dirty!!! I'll do anything to my car except wheel alignments and tires. Those tools are a little to expensive to justify buying them

Old 08-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
I did for 35 years...until I had back surgery!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:01 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy working on the MINI. I have an 09 justa. I have done oil and filter changes, brake pads and rotors, brake fluid, air filters, and serpentine belt. I am expecting to do the thermostat when that needs replacement.
I do not like going to the stealers. They are thiefs.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
There is only two task I don't attempted on my cars including my '04 MSC. One, is wheel alignments and the second is automatic trannys. Everything else I have done at one time or another. You'll find on this forum many work on their "toy" because of pure fun and pride and of course saving the "piggy" bank.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
Doing your own work will save you thousands on simple jobs most DIYer types can accomplish easily, with extra time added for 1st time thru, yet many issues can be found on youtube, yet they may not be the book/dealer method for changing parts out yet they give you options and everything helps, I have the Bentley Manual and seriously it's a waste, a Haynes is probably better, from removing intake manifold for walnut blasting the intake valves, to changing out e water pump the Bentley is useless, it says remove these bolts and swap parts, yet doesn't explain how to get to those, crap if you ask me, all info can be found in other places. It's a good expensive book tho, just not so useful for serious work in saving time. I'm sure ill get flamed but it sucks IMO. All the work done the Bentley was worthless, yet I am an ASE tech so it wasn't helpful to me.

I have blasted my intake valves
Changed hard oil lines on turbo
Changed downpipe to Catless, too loud
Water pump
FMIC
Brakes on both our mini's EBC yellows and slotted rotors

And several other minor things, not difficult yet a real PITA at times!!

Always check you oil level every fill up and more often if you regularly are boosted, it will save you money, and I change my oil much more often!! Every 5k

Last edited by BoostMe; 08-04-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Content
Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Ah jeeze, the Haynes book is worse than nothing!

The Bentley manual is the most comprehensive manual available, I highly recommend it!

Dave

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do my own wheel alignments. Check out Smart Strings. Also have a camber tool and a tool to lock the steering wheel.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
Dave did I strike a cord with the Haynes reference, maybe the Bentely has uses I have yet to need, next will be the timing chain on both our Mini's very soon, it shall come in handy there, a more comprehensive repair! Most wrenches know Haynes and Chiltons are useless but have you seen the instruction for water pump changing, it's pretty pitiful, Bentley could have done a better job with more instruction, yet it got completed.