R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Installing Alta boost spring upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Alta boost spring upgrade

Just need some help. I've done some research at how to install this spring and it looks like the easiest way to do it is to unbolt the oil feed line to the turbo. Does anyone know torque specs for this after i take it off? or anything i need to know when installing this and taking that line off? thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never heard of that route. You have to remove the whole Diverter Valve from the turbo housing (3 allen bolts), which usually involves taking off the Coolant Overflow tank. Then just take the diaphragm off and replace the spring. Then reassemble and re-install.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kalibdor
Never heard of that route. You have to remove the whole Diverter Valve from the turbo housing (3 allen bolts), which usually involves taking off the Coolant Overflow tank. Then just take the diaphragm off and replace the spring. Then reassemble and re-install.
I'd take a picture if i could. It seem like on mine the turbo oil line is directly in front of the diverter valve. i've tried once to take it off and that line is in the way. but none the less, did you notice a difference with yours?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm weird. Maybe someone with an N18 can pitch in here? As for the difference it's not drastic. It's a little bit stronger, but I'm only running 18psi at full boost so I don't know about people in the 20 range. I've heard that the stock diverter valve is actually fully capable of handling anything up to 20ish psi but who knows. I'm looking into some other options at the moment since I live in the south, and the rubber diaphragm is getting way too sloppy. Tried the Forge, pretty sure it was a faulty unit; it was causing way more problems than anything.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kalibdor
Hmm weird. Maybe someone with an N18 can pitch in here? As for the difference it's not drastic. It's a little bit stronger, but I'm only running 18psi at full boost so I don't know about people in the 20 range. I've heard that the stock diverter valve is actually fully capable of handling anything up to 20ish psi but who knows. I'm looking into some other options at the moment since I live in the south, and the rubber diaphragm is getting way too sloppy. Tried the Forge, pretty sure it was a faulty unit; it was causing way more problems than anything.
from what i read it's not designed solely to hold more boost per say.. just close faster after you left off the throttle to hold more boost between shifts.