R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Lack of reputable tunes?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lack of reputable tunes?!?!

Why does it seem like there is a big lack of reputable custom tunes ? Are these cars that big of a pain in the butt to tune ?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
What year are you referring too?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The Alta Accessport is the only thing that I would really consider to be a "custom tune" and that was discontinued by Alta. I think I'll be picking up a used one here before too long.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by braminator
what year are you referring too?
r56. 07-10

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For N14 cars...

Accessport (only a couple shops across the country can do a protune)
Evolve-R (Overseas but very good)
NM Engineering (Located in CA somewhere)
Renntech (Florida)
PAW (Florida)

Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
For N14 cars...

Accessport (only a couple shops across the country can do a protune)
Evolve-R (Overseas but very good)
NM Engineering (Located in CA somewhere)
Renntech (Florida)
PAW (Florida)
yea the post above you points that out.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I've checked out the following:shark injector, RMW( lack of sport after he takes your money),renntech(no return email or call after he said he would be out a couple days from being sick),Cobb bailed out ,NM Engineering said there to busy for custom tunes and only offer a stage 1 and 2 , Brenn tuning(same situation as Renntech),evolve said his guy that he uses for tuning has got out of the R56 market, just went to the ECS Tuning and they don't have anything for tuning. There is every part on the market for upgrades but theres no software to support the parts. SO WHAT GOOD ARE THE PARTS !?!? whats the problem with the software or ecu's with these cars that makes it so difficult to tune ?

Last edited by SPRINTCARS; 08-07-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ECU coding is encrypted. The encryption gets even stronger when you go to the N18 engine.

I think the BMW mentality is that they don't want anyone messing with their stuff. Maybe for emissions reasons. Kind of stupid considering domestic cars are so easy to tune.

Looks like you did a lot of real good engine work too. It's such a shame. Crap like this is why I want to sell mine in the short term. Not a friendly market for people that want to push the limit compared to other platforms.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
I really wish BMS would conquer the N14 after they figure out the N18. Since that took all of 3 weeks to do.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
The ECU coding is encrypted. The encryption gets even stronger when you go to the N18 engine.

I think the BMW mentality is that they don't want anyone messing with their stuff. Maybe for emissions reasons. Kind of stupid considering domestic cars are so easy to tune.

Looks like you did a lot of real good engine work too. It's such a shame. Crap like this is why I want to sell mine in the short term. Not a friendly market for people that want to push the limit compared to other platforms.
yea I did, im about at a point to just give it to the bank and file bankruptcy and wipe out all my bills and say hell with this car. if I cant get it tuned ill look for a 30th anniversary Camaro with a 5.7 in it and do the work to that. this is my first build for and import car. I really like it but I want a one off type off car with killer handling. R56 cars definitely are not the car to choose to do this.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
yea I did, im about at a point to just give it to the bank and file bankruptcy and wipe out all my bills and say hell with this car. if I cant get it tuned ill look for a 30th anniversary Camaro with a 5.7 in it and do the work to that. this is my first build for and import car. I really like it but I want a one off type off car with killer handling. R56 cars definitely are not the car to choose to do this.

It will handle well but trying to make the motor a snarling beast is a bit of a challenge without electronics support.

There's always Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda that have a incredible aftermarket base of support.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
The N14 motor was never a tuner motor. From everything I read, in stock form, it isnt the strongest thing out there.

Definitely not bulletproof like the 2.5L EJ series Subaru motors.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
The N14 motor was never a tuner motor. From everything I read, in stock form, it isnt the strongest thing out there.

Definitely not bulletproof like the 2.0L 4G63 Mitsubishi motors.
Fixed that for you

To the OP. I would just get an AP and find some place local that is willing to work with you to tune the car. Or you should be able to tune it yourself with AccessTuner Race if you know what you're doing. There are hundreds of shops with the capability to tune with the AP all over the country. The hard part is finding someone with Mini experience.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about Way Motor Works? (FYI I am a noob and just noticed that they weren't mentioned in this thread yet)

Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Fixed that for you

To the OP. I would just get an AP and find some place local that is willing to work with you to tune the car. Or you should be able to tune it yourself with AccessTuner Race if you know what you're doing. There are hundreds of shops with the capability to tune with the AP all over the country. The hard part is finding someone with Mini experience.
Thanks, I was unaware that they had a custom part on the access port or a race section. Next time I see one for sale I will buy it. cheers

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I've checked out the following:shark injector, RMW( lack of sport after he takes your money),renntech(no return email or call after he said he would be out a couple days from being sick),Cobb bailed out ,NM Engineering said there to busy for custom tunes and only offer a stage 1 and 2 , Brenn tuning(same situation as Renntech),evolve said his guy that he uses for tuning has got out of the R56 market, just went to the ECS Tuning and they don't have anything for tuning. There is every part on the market for upgrades but theres no software to support the parts. SO WHAT GOOD ARE THE PARTS !?!? whats the problem with the software or ecu's with these cars that makes it so difficult to tune ?
How ironic is this, after I make this thread, mark from renntech just called. Think these companys monitor this forum or is it just a coincidence ?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
How ironic is this, after I make this thread, mark from renntech just called. Think these companys monitor this forum or is it just a coincidence ?
How does Renntech do the tune? You have to send your ECU?

With a ported head and Schrick cams I would hope they can do a custom tune!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
To follow up what I was saying earlier. I'm not sure if Cobb would actually send you a copy of Access Tuner Race but they provide them to Subaru guys (I have a copy for tuning my STI). You might be able to get a copy for your mini and just do custom tuning yourself...

http://www.cobbtuning.com/accesstune...st-s/70716.htm

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Fixed that for you

Cobb has not released Access Tuner Race for the Mini. I guess they dont trust us as much as the others.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
How does Renntech do the tune? You have to send your ECU?

With a ported head and Schrick cams I would hope they can do a custom tune!
I have been told that the tuner for Renntech and PAW are the same person. And, that they tune via the Dimsport.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I have been told that the tuner for Renntech and PAW are the same person. And, that they tune via the Dimsport.
If that's the case how come they don't offer the my genius so you can can a performance mode and economy mode for traveling ? So far it seems the only options are RENNTECH, PAW, NM, GIAC,BRENN and I refuse to give the other company's name a plug.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I stumbled across a name in California. A British gentlemen called after i left a message. ECG... ECU TUNING GROUP. Anybody ever here about them ? Seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Last edited by SPRINTCARS; 08-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
No, avoid them like the plague!

A member on here got their tune for his 2011 S Clubman.

Spiked up to 30 psi and limped the car. Less then a month later, cars engine was done. He was VERY LUCKY, the engine was replaced by MINI at the cost of around 8k.

You should really be over at the modification section and follow the top thread about tuning N18's...if that's what you have.

If you can, hold out for the release of a plug n play option being released by Burger Tuning.
There is a thread on that as well. I'm currently testing one(JB+), all I can say is it'll be worth the wait =D.

Last edited by NewCooperFanatic; 08-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
No, avoid them like the plague!

A member on here got their tune for his 2011 S Clubman.

Spiked up to 30 psi and limped the car. Less then a month later, cars engine was done. He was VERY LUCKY, the engine was replaced by MINI at the cost of around 8k.

You should really be over at the modification section and follow the top thread about tuning N18's...if that's what you have.

If you can, hold out for the release of a plug n play option being released by Burger Tuning.
There is a thread on that as well. I'm currently testing one(JB+), all I can say is it'll be worth the wait =D.
1st. We should pay attention to prior posts when people post. I already stated it is an N14. Which also is an R56. The year as well. My signature states it also. Why would I be in an N18 thread for modifications or R56 mods when this thread was a question of " why are there a lack of.... " not how or what should I do. But thank you VERY much for the advice about the last tuner i referenced in a post.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Haha you need to simmer down sir, not everyone has the mobile app showing sigs.
Internet speed would take 10min to load the first page.....yea no, not doing that.

But certainly avoid ETG. Fact.

Quick Reply: R56 Lack of reputable tunes?!?!