R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Boost - Gradual or Sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost - Gradual or Sudden?

I was accelerating onto the freeway tonight and noticed a defined "kick" in acceleration. I was in 4th, and it almost felt like I shifted into a new gear, even though I did not. Simultaneously to the extra acceleration "kick", I heard some clicking (popping?) coming from the exhaust.

Normal?

I always thought my boost was applied rather more gradually in the past, since I got this new engine.

My old engine also did this "kick" under hard acceleration with the exhaust pop/click every now and then. That engine ended up with a cracked piston. I guess I just want to make sure I don't blow engine #2, and that this isn't what caused said engine to blow.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if its due to the boost, or the engine/ transmission pairing..... However my car has no ***** until 3000-3500 rpm, that does not come on gradually, it's like a kick in the pants right at 3000...... Then again at about 4500

Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcameron
Not sure if its due to the boost, or the engine/ transmission pairing..... However my car has no ***** until 3000-3500 rpm, that does not come on gradually, it's like a kick in the pants right at 3000...... Then again at about 4500
Sounds like non-sport-mode boost application. In Sport-Mode, throttle response is bumped up and boost is applied much earlier in the revs. A turbocharged car will usually have what people refer to as "Turbo-lag". Lack of power when out of boost, and when the turbo spools up you feel it kick in suddenly. When in sport mode this isn't noticed much, but out of sport mode it would act exactly as you are describing.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Sounds like non-sport-mode boost application. In Sport-Mode, throttle response is bumped up and boost is applied much earlier in the revs. A turbocharged car will usually have what people refer to as "Turbo-lag". Lack of power when out of boost, and when the turbo spools up you feel it kick in suddenly. When in sport mode this isn't noticed much, but out of sport mode it would act exactly as you are describing.
my car is in sport mode 24/7......

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Could possibly be something like gummed up vales needing to be cleaned causin inconsistet delivery of power. Getting multiple noticeable surges of power without changing throttle position at all is a strange one.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Could possibly be something like gummed up vales needing to be cleaned causin inconsistet delivery of power. Getting multiple noticeable surges of power without changing throttle position at all is a strange one.
It's a '13 with 13k on it...... I'm pretty sure it's not gummed up valves....

I think its more that 3000 rpm is when it finally gets into the " power band" and 4500 rpm is when it's putting down peak torque.....which is why I'm noticing power surges there

Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Salbotehcow
1st Gear
What about the extra boost that comes on at WOT if you're in 3rd gear or greater, and at 3500k rpm +...

I think its like a +3lbs or so extra...

I know I've read this on NAM at some point...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
ok.............. well i guess............. you can just be condescending and put your little dots.............. in your replies to my suggestions of possible causes. Sorry for trying to help.

Oh yeah..................................... forgot that.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
It's a '13 with 13k on it...... I'm pretty sure it's not gummed up valves....

I think its more that 3000 rpm is when it finally gets into the " power band" and 4500 rpm is when it's putting down peak torque.....which is why I'm noticing power surges there

It's actually probably the valves/injectors getting gummed up and/or some bad fuel mixture. Yes, even at 13K miles. People have these issues as early as 10K miles, but usually around 20K miles. Clean the valves, change the oil, and add some fuel injector cleaner afterwards. I would imagine your engine is still under warranty so the dealership should do this for free.

I have heard of people going into the dealership asking to check the valves and the dealership saying valve cleaning didn't need to be done. Well, I think that is because once the car is out of warranty then the dealership will suddenly offer it because it's about $700 to do. Be very insistent. Maybe take a peek for yourself, snap some pictures so you have proof as to whether or not the valves are clean. Then you have some leverage on the dealership and your warranty claim.

If it's not the valves, check the chain tensioner (also replaceable under warranty). If the chain tensioner is loose, it will 'skip' under load and throws things off. But since you're talking about exhaust noises my first reaction is carbon build up on the valves.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
ok.............. well i guess............. you can just be condescending and put your little dots.............. in your replies to my suggestions of possible causes. Sorry for trying to help.

yeah, pal....if i came across as condescending im sorry, i often reply from my phone so my messages can come across as a bit brash because im not typing a full response and typing out somewhat quickly...

as for my typing.....i have dyslexia and the spacing it out like this makes it easier for me to read and comprehend......but i hope poking fun makes you feel better about yourself.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT

..............I just like dots............how can you hate on the dots............?

Seriously though, your reply was a bit uncalled for.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM
EHans
5th Gear
yeah, pal....if i came across as condescending im sorry, i often reply from my phone so my messages can come across as a bit brash because im not typing a full response and typing out somewhat quickly...

as for my typing.....i have dyslexia and the spacing it out like this makes it easier for me to read and comprehend......but i hope poking fun makes you feel better about yourself.