R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Plasti Dip Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This says it all. Great story of why plasti-dipping a whole car is nonsense

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do...-thing-do.html
with all due respect....look at the source, its coming from a guy who does vinyl wrapping....

i can only bet hes been loosing money since plastidip became popular...and therefore he is hardly the most unbiased source.

we also dont know if the guy with the suburau used actual plastidip or some other type of rubberized coating like under-chassis spray.

given the fact that there are thousands of people dipping their cars, and only a hand full of posts about people having issues.....ide be willing to bet that plastidip is perfectly safe for your car.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is room for user error in anything, and I've seen hundreds... HUNDREDS of cars fully dipped or parts dipped. The stuff is not harmful(proven time and time again).

Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! If I were to do it again I would remove all the trim pieces. I probably should have watched a youtube video on how to remove them. I just didn't want to brake any of the tabs

Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plasti Dip... As Nancy Reagan once said, "Just say no".

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
This says it all. Great story of why plasti-dipping a whole car is nonsense

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do...-thing-do.html
The install was poor and the amount he put on looks way to thing to have easy removal. Plus that vinyl guy seems to have something against the newest competition to his existing business.

Last edited by yetti96; 08-20-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I'd love Mr. Melangell to give an actual reason for his condescending attitude about this subject. I mean other than it being a new fad among all the other stupid trends right now, it works. If applied correctly, its easily removable, it is durable, and its available in many colors and even now has gloss and metallic options.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Removing the trim from the car is very easy and will provide a better looking product over time.

But good job there!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
I'd love Mr. Melangell to give an actual reason for his condescending attitude about this subject. I mean other than it being a new fad among all the other stupid trends right now, it works. If applied correctly, its easily removable, it is durable, and its available in many colors and even now has gloss and metallic options.
If you go to dipyourcar.com there are several finish options and methods of changing your end product. And let it be said it matters a lot who is applying the plastidip. I already learned a lesson from my first attempt. But that goes for anything when applying vinyl, paint, plastidip.

In 5 months the house I'm renting will be sold and I'll lose access two two garages but I'm looking for another place with a empty garage. If my environment lets me I'll probably be picking up my own gun. I always liked the matte green with a gloss and I might spray my whole car. If I don't like the color I change it for 75 bucks. If I don't like the overall outcome I'm out 250 dollars.

As someone else said earlier I think the vinyl shops are writing most of the biased articles. I can't blame them. The article the vinyl shop posted on those other forums showed a horrible example. It looked liked the customer mixed too much thinner and only did two coats so it wouldn't peel off right and was too thin. You're supposed to apply 4-5 coats so it looks better and the removal process is easier. And he was talking about it chipping as well. Vinyl chips, paint chips, plastidip chips. I bought my 2013 cooper s in January and have found 4 chip spots on the bumper and bonnet already :( That's the price I pay for living is West Palm Beach Florida and driving on I-95.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM
mini604
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
How about from this to that

MAN that is UGLY!! what were you thinking??

Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't believe how bad people are hating on this. To each his own...

Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
I can't believe how bad people are hating on this. To each his own...
i know right.

just because i dont like red cars, i dont go around hating on all red cars i see.

if plasti-dip is done correctly it is easily removed and does not harm anything.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
There's just something about coating your WHOLE car in plastic that just bothers me..its like putting a condom on your car Doing the grill and trim i think is cool but the whole car....no..just no..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
whrisk
3rd Gear
It's not really plastic. It's more of a rubberized coating.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
so just because i was curious....and because i was looking of r a change, i removed the plasti-dip i had on my hood scoop for the past 5 months(which is about the same time as the guys in the link with the subaru).....

the plastidip was put on back in march, and spent its life sitting out in the sun, and being cooked by the turbo....so if anything was going to "dry out" and "become brittle"...it would be the plastidip i had on my scoop....

i sprayed 4 layers of dip and 3 layers of glossifier.........the plsatidip peeled right off....no issues.....and the paint underneath looked as good as when i sprayed it on back in march.

......so yeah....those claiming that plastidip will 'ruin your paint'....and 'you will have a hard time getting it off after a while'......im not buying it......so please stop trying to scare people.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Mcameron,

That is great to hear! Not that I want to already peal it off but if I were to sell it (probably won't) I'm glad it came of easy for you!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Trizzz
2nd Gear
For everyone who is hating on the subject.. (whole car dipping is ugly...)
That are pictures that I took of my 3 friends with MK5 Full Dipped and Audi with Full dip too, It doesnt look bad at all srry.... :

And that'S my mini with dipped chrome parts:

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
They look pretty good. But sorry yours is the best looking.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Trizzz
That are pictures that I took of my 3 friends with MK5 Full Dipped and Audi with Full dip too, It doesnt look bad at all srry.... :

Very nice cars. I'm getting the pro car kit myself for use later this year. Did your friends who painted their whole car use the dipyourcar.com spray guns or other guns to spray? I'm ready for my first attempt to look like crap lol.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Trizzz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
Very nice cars. I'm getting the pro car kit myself for use later this year. Did your friends who painted their whole car use the dipyourcar.com spray guns or other guns to spray? I'm ready for my first attempt to look like crap lol.
A shop did it for them, so I can't really speak about the equipment used.
The trick to have a great job is to prepare the surface very well..
And apply thin coats and a lot of them, the more coats u put, the easier it will be to remove it after

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trizzz

There are many words I could use to describe these, but I know one word that I couldn't- Classy. Silly stuff for sure.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82
There are many words I could use to describe these, but I know one word that I couldn't- Classy. Silly stuff for sure.
Wow,that's a bit uncalled for....

While ill admit, super slammed cars aren quite my style, they are super clean and look very well 'composed'....

No need to hate on someone else's car because it isn't your style.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82

You can make your opinion known without double quoting pictures :/ Vinyl had kind of the same effect when it first came out. It was cheaper than it is now because it took a while for companies like 3M to have their part in it. Now it seems to be "acceptable" in the car world. I feel plastidip will have the same outcome eventually. It really seems to almost **** people off.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
You can make your opinion known without double quoting pictures :/ Vinyl had kind of the same effect when it first came out. It was cheaper than it is now because it took a while for companies like 3M to have their part in it. Now it seems to be "acceptable" in the car world. I feel plastidip will have the same outcome eventually. It really seems to almost **** people off.
I was one for a bit. I was seeing it become a running fad in the stretch/poke/trash my tires/non-functional car crowd that seems to be running rampant right now, so I dismissed it as shoddy and cheap.

Knowing body work and finishing, it was "No, you can't just take a ratte can and shoot a coating over a glossy, unprepped surface and have it look right, stick, or stay".... then I tried the stuff on all my chrome trim. Cleaned it all up nicely, sprayed the parts with multiple light coats and it worked perfect, laid quite flat, and has held up great.

All and all, when done correctly, this stuff looks/works exactly as advertised.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
When I see such visceral reactions to people's project cars, I know they're doing something right. Keep it up OP!

It's a bit of a stretch, and at the risk of hyperbole, the following is a list of classical debuts that caused riots:

1830 – Daniel Auber – La muette de Portici (opera, sparked the Belgian Revolution)[1]
1838 – Hector Berlioz – Benvenuto Cellini[2]
1861 - Richard Wagner - Tannhäuser (opera) (The Paris Opera premiere)
1905 – Richard Strauss – Salome (particularly the 1907 Metropolitan Opera production in New York)
1913 - Alban Berg - Altenberg Lieder[3]
1913 – Igor Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring (ballet)[4][5]
1913 – Francesco Balilla Pratella – Musica Futurista[6]
1917 – Erik Satie – Parade (ballet)[7]
1923 – Edgard Varèse – Hyperprism[8]
1924 – George Antheil – Ballet Mécanique
1926 – Béla Bartók – The Miraculous Mandarin (ballet)[9]
1954 - Edgard Varèse – Déserts
1968 – Hans Werner Henze – Das Floß der Medusa[10]
1973 - Steve Reich - "Four Organs" [11][12]

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
Trizz, I love the wheels on your Mini. What's that finish?

Quick Reply: R56 Plasti Dip Mini