R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Always doing something different. Nothing was wrong with the Evolve core, I barely had it for about....6-7 months?

That seems about right for the amount of time before I get tired of something....lol

I mean ****, I have badass RE-30 in Mag Blue and I'm already tired of them! And I've had those less than 2 months!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
BIG SHOUTOUT to.....

Sneed's Speed Shop (http://www.sneed4speed.com)

Chris is a great guy and has sponsored my build with his amazingly badass turbo oil cooler kit. Many know Sneed for his track ready parts and it was a no brainer to reach out to Chris to see what he would be able to offer me. Well, I'm very glad to have this kit as it has been on my radar for a long time.

It'll be here sometime next week after I've rebuild everything else, but I'll have to let'er sit for a bit as I wait for this kit to come in. Makes no sense to top off and then have to drain again to top off once more after adding this! It will add another 1 quart of oil to the kit from the stock oil, so if anyone gets this kit, keep that in mind!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
BIG SHOUTOUT to.....

Chris is a great guy and has sponsored my build with his amazingly badass turbo oil cooler kit. Many know Sneed for his track ready parts and it was a no brainer to reach out to Chris to see what he would be able to offer me. Well, I'm very glad to have this kit as it has been on my radar for a long time.

It'll be here sometime next week after I've rebuild everything else, but I'll have to let'er sit for a bit as I wait for this kit to come in. Makes no sense to top off and then have to drain again to top off once more after adding this! It will add another 1 quart of oil to the kit from the stock oil, so if anyone gets this kit, keep that in mind!
Let us know how the install goes. Looking forward to first hand hints and tips lol.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG SHOUTOUT to.....

Installed this myself last night. It's worth draining off a good quart of oil before pulling the stock plate. I had a surprising amount of oil drainage from mine. Now if I can just figure out how to get the damn fittings on the stainless steel lines...

Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fair enough. I can't blame anyone for getting bored. I get bored too .

I'll be waiting to hear what you end up getting as replacement!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Always doing something different. Nothing was wrong with the Evolve core, I barely had it for about....6-7 months?

That seems about right for the amount of time before I get tired of something....lol

I mean ****, I have badass RE-30 in Mag Blue and I'm already tired of them! And I've had those less than 2 months!

Nothing wrong with that John. You have seen the changes in Tackleberry as the time has gone by. I am on my third and final set of wheels (OZ Ultraleggeras). I finally have the look I was going for and I really like these wheels.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
Installed this myself last night. It's worth draining off a good quart of oil before pulling the stock plate. I had a surprising amount of oil drainage from mine. Now if I can just figure out how to get the damn fittings on the stainless steel lines...
You seem to always be one step ahead of me!!!!! lol

Originally Posted by Grizld700
Fair enough. I can't blame anyone for getting bored. I get bored too .

I'll be waiting to hear what you end up getting as replacement!
We shall see, waiting for a phonecall about when I can get my intercooler.

Originally Posted by MinMin2010
Nothing wrong with that John. You have seen the changes in Tackleberry as the time has gone by. I am on my third and final set of wheels (OZ Ultraleggeras). I finally have the look I was going for and I really like these wheels.

Looking good there!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
BIG SHOUTOUT to.....

I couldn't help but notice that the oil cooler is blocked by 50% behind the bumper, there's not enough space for even the radiator which is partially blocked.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
It'll be fine...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I couldn't help but notice that the oil cooler is blocked by 50% behind the bumper, there's not enough space for even the radiator which is partially blocked.
Actually about 2/3 pokes above the bumper. But yes, it's not fully open to air. When compared to the silly OEM block of aluminum that is a heat exchanger, the oil cooler will provide plenty of cooling effect. There's a reason Chris went with a larger core than you see some race Minis use.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well, got the call I was expecting, should know more about my intercooler next week, until then....everyone's gotta wait. lol

Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, got the call I was expecting, should know more about my intercooler next week, until then....everyone's gotta wait. lol
This game isn't fun unless you give us a clue lol!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by george_talbot
Lets see... his choices are:

Alta, Helix, Forge, Evolve, TyrolSport, Wagner, eBay/AliExpress/

Are water to air options? If so then...
Works Motor Sports

Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by george_talbot
Lets see... his choices are:

Alta, Helix, Forge, Evolve, TyrolSport, Wagner, eBay/AliExpress/

Are water to air options? If so then...
Works Motor Sports
Well, you guys will like it. It's another sponsor, so until I see the unit, I won't say just yet.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it safe to assume your mini isn't your only source of transportation?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually about 2/3 pokes above the bumper. But yes, it's not fully open to air. When compared to the silly OEM block of aluminum that is a heat exchanger, the oil cooler will provide plenty of cooling effect. There's a reason Chris went with a larger core than you see some race Minis use.
So this replaces the factory heat exchanger?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
So this replaces the factory heat exchanger?
Yes, a plate goes in place of the squarish heat exchanger block just under the turbo. Then lines run to the radiator style cooler placed in front of the AC condenser.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Do you think some of us upgrading to that oil cooler linked would perhaps curb oil consumption a little bit? I ask because there is a lot of vapors floating around when I shut off my engine, if I could keep the oil cooler shouldn't that keep the oil from burning off through the PCV system?

Feedback appreciated!

Systemlord.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
That's a loaded question that I'm unsure of. You'll have to ask Chris @ Sneed Speed directly. I never have issues with consumption, plus I also change my oil ever 3k so not an issue for me anyways...

Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Turbo, exhaust manifold and a whole bunch of other things have been removed....pics to follow tomorrow probably. The coating that JM Turbo added was amazing....beautiful work

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Turbo, exhaust manifold and a whole bunch of other things have been removed....pics to follow tomorrow probably. The coating that JM Turbo added was amazing....beautiful work
Didn't you get the turbo and exhaust manifold port matched, I vaguely remember something about that. I'm also looking forward to seeing the temps around the DP/turbo after all is said and done!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Yes I did. Photos will follow later. It was a busy afternoon today. I had to steal Battle and Strasse Sport away from everyone today to get sh*t documented and removed.

JM Turbo Cooper did an amazing job on the mani, exhaust and my downpipe. Looks so badass.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes I did. Photos will follow later. It was a busy afternoon today. I had to steal Battle and Strasse Sport away from everyone today to get sh*t documented and removed.

JM Turbo Cooper did an amazing job on the mani, exhaust and my downpipe. Looks so badass.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear

Yeah the coatings are really nice! I had my ARDesign dp coated when I purchased, but its flaking off already I will probably have Arric recoat it this fall when they do the built engine.

The only OEM heat shield I put back on was the one behind the down pipe. Going to try running without them. While it maybe overkill, I also put WMW turbo blanket on. If I have issues with heat I may try the Alta version that goes over the header as well.

Have you put any thought into 2.5" vs 3" exhaust? Curious to find out how the e45hp responds to a larger exhaust.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Yeah the coatings are really nice! I had my ARDesign dp coated when I purchased, but its flaking off already I will probably have Arric recoat it this fall when they do the built engine.

The only OEM heat shield I put back on was the one behind the down pipe. Going to try running without them. While it maybe overkill, I also put WMW turbo blanket on. If I have issues with heat I may try the Alta version that goes over the header as well.

Have you put any thought into 2.5" vs 3" exhaust? Curious to find out how the e45hp responds to a larger exhaust.
Noted.

The iPE is a 2.4" exhaust so it's plenty big. And it's a high-flow catless downpipe so I don't think I'll have any issue there. Any bigger and I'll get too much attention from the cops and probably wouldn't hear the end of it from the fiancee. Lucky enough it's valvetronic so I can turn it off and on whenever I want

I would be done today, but with the intercooler shipping and the oil cooler just shipping, I'm waiting on those before we do too much and then have to backtrack.

Quick Reply: R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build