R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I'll do my own install of the dp and though I would take my MINI to dyno there, I have free dyno from MD Automotive in Westminster, so that's where I'll be going when the time comes.
so i assume that will require a couple of separate visits to the dyno. i wouldn't mind doing my own dp install, but i moved out here from the east coast and don't have the same access to tools as i did back east. that and it would require me to drive out to the dyno on a couple of different occasions. i guess that might not be a bad thing as i should prob let the car "learn" to run the new part(s).

Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Got my oil analyzed via Blackstone labs for my last oil change w/ a full trackday session. I probably changed earlier than I wanted, but still wanted to analyze the oil regardless to see how it's been handling after 55k+ miles. Looks quite good.
Finally got around to doing this? It does look good, especially for track time....you change oil every 3k correct?

Starting to wonder if my 5k is pushing it...hmmm

Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jomama
so i assume that will require a couple of separate visits to the dyno. i wouldn't mind doing my own dp install, but i moved out here from the east coast and don't have the same access to tools as i did back east. that and it would require me to drive out to the dyno on a couple of different occasions. i guess that might not be a bad thing as i should prob let the car "learn" to run the new part(s).
Well, I'll be doing my baseline before installing any performance mods, and when all is on, go back and see what my gains are. Few trips, but at least I've chronicled the gains!
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Finally got around to doing this? It does look good, especially for track time....you change oil every 3k correct?

Starting to wonder if my 5k is pushing it...hmmm
Yea, every 3k, which is probably premature, but I've always done that, even though I've received a lot of people tell me it's synthetic and can last much longer. I think 5k is good, but you run your MINI harder than me, so I'd say check your oil level around 4k to see if you need to top off, other than that, you're probably alright.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
after the dp and fmic, i will get custom tune. I am sure plenty out there in southern california that can help us. Currently it's not on my todo list..right now the todo list is to get the dp and fmic

i am sure that alta have a clause in the agreement with cobb saying that in an event that we stop selling, no one can use it. Now i don't think it's so much as Alta that doing it, i think more like their parent company doesn't want any competitor to get hold of it and start making money out of it. This off course me thinking out of my ****

I don't even know how any legal issues would arise out of this. Alta initiated by contacting Cobb to create an AP tune for the MINI and Alta decided they weren't making a profit with it so they essentially dropped the program. Anything that Cobb would provide is out of question, so it is our own mission, if we choose to take it, to find support through the AP Pro Tuning networks.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by g35mt
after the dp and fmic, i will get custom tune. I am sure plenty out there in southern california that can help us. Currently it's not on my todo list..right now the todo list is to get the dp and fmic

i am sure that alta have a clause in the agreement with cobb saying that in an event that we stop selling, no one can use it. Now i don't think it's so much as Alta that doing it, i think more like their parent company doesn't want any competitor to get hold of it and start making money out of it. This off course me thinking out of my ****
Can't say "no one" since it's just a matter of who has licensed the Cobb Pro Tuner software. As long as a shop or individual has licensed the software they can do whatever they want to with the software. Just a matter of if said person knows what they're doing...lol

Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Akrapovic comes in Friday.
Evolve FMIC & DP no later than Tuesday next week. I won't be installing these until the CAE shifter comes in since I want to do it all in one swoop. I will remove my center panel in the meantime though...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I try not to beat on it haha. Only time
to really get on it is on-ramps to get up to speed, gotta drop the clutch on every shift to make it last with aggressive driving lol.

Definitely need to consider track time one day.

Can't wait to see that shifter installed, gonna be *****in

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
true...

i am waiting for your tune. So basically are you using the access port and tune it according to your liking? or tuning without access port?

Can't say "no one" since it's just a matter of who has licensed the Cobb Pro Tuner software. As long as a shop or individual has licensed the software they can do whatever they want to with the software. Just a matter of if said person knows what they're doing...lol

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I try not to beat on it haha. Only time
to really get on it is on-ramps to get up to speed, gotta drop the clutch on every shift to make it last with aggressive driving lol.

Definitely need to consider track time one day.

Can't wait to see that shifter installed, gonna be *****in
Ah gotcha. My next track event may be towards end of next month or October. For sure Black Friday. Black Friday is an awesome track day. Not a lot of people know about it and the turnout is fantastic so there's plenty of space to let loose on the track.

The CAE shifter is currently going through customs in Germany, so hopefully the update says it's on it's way soon...
true...

i am waiting for your tune. So basically are you using the access port and tune it according to your liking? or tuning without access port?
Yes I will get an AP and get a custom tune. Don't know when that'll be since I have to time it right that someone sells their AP when I'm ready to purchase, but I'm in no rush. I start work next month, so it's not like I'll have a ton of free time like I do now. Early mornings, and super late nights ahead at work for me, so weekends are kinda filled with the fiancee....

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well here's an update. Possibly/contemplating a sponsorship for a turbo back exhaust system so I may end up returning the Akra and then selling the Evolve decat dp. So hope to know more tomorrow as that's when they sai they'd call again. Not sure if I want to do it. It really is a badass system but Akra isn't a slouch either. Anyways more news tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
Well here's an update. Possibly/contemplating a sponsorship for a turbo back exhaust system so I may end up returning the Akra and then selling the Evolve decat dp. So hope to know more tomorrow as that's when they sai they'd call again. Not sure if I want to do it. It really is a badass system but Akra isn't a slouch either. Anyways more news tomorrow.
if you decide not to be sponsor..i can volunteer

Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
if you decide not to be sponsor..i can volunteer
Haha! I don't give alternates for sponsorships. Proposal must be created and submitted so my hardwork isn't free.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
So I am officially making the biggest update so far on this build. I received my sponsorship for a new exhaust, I won't say what it is, but it'll be the first of its kind in the US.

So I have to sell my Evolve Catless DP. Akrapovic just going to be sent back to sender. I won't say what exhaust system just yet, but you all will see. It's one of the baddest systems out there. Way more hardcore than Akra. Akra is amazing, but this has been on my radars for a long time now and is definitely in it's own league.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
congrats!!! let us know how it sound once your sponsor is okay to reveal their name.

So I am officially making the biggest update so far on this build. I received my sponsorship for a new exhaust, I won't say what it is, but it'll be the first of its kind in the US.

So I have to sell my Evolve Catless DP. Akrapovic just going to be sent back to sender. I won't say what exhaust system just yet, but you all will see. It's one of the baddest systems out there. Way more hardcore than Akra. Akra is amazing, but this has been on my radars for a long time now and is definitely in it's own league.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
CAE Ultra Shifter has finally landed in the US. Hopefully clears custom shortly after then receive it sometime next week. :D

Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
So the wait for the Evolve intercooler came in. Stealth black looks damn good. And the quality and fit was spot on. Can't say I'm not impressed. Better than Helix and Forge

Name:  photo-1_zpsa028569f.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  110.3 KB

Name:  photo_zps93c9bbcd.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  114.3 KB

Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Heading up to SF tomorrow morning, got an early drive @ 2am to get to the shop to get my exhaust installed. Clips and photos to follow!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Its interesting to see that they use two separate cores, with the seam near the middle. I have a black helix and really like the hidden look. I like the tabs on the tanks, though they are probably redundant. Looks good. Looking forward to the exhaust info.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Its interesting to see that they use two separate cores, with the seam near the middle. I have a black helix and really like the hidden look. I like the tabs on the tanks, though they are probably redundant. Looks good. Looking forward to the exhaust info.

Have fun,
Mike
Yeah. The black core looks much nicer than the non black core that Evolve has. As far as I'm aware, the Evolve system is superior than Forge, and I'd say more than Helix, but I won't get into a debate on that or have Helix come in here and get angry. Anyways, thanks!

It'll be a fun ride back home. My sponsors should have their videos of my system sometime this week so it should spread pretty quickly on youtube and such.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
After what seemed like forever, I made it safely to SF. Pics to follow....

Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
pre-install

Name:  photo-2_zps4aaf3dd9.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  84.1 KB

Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Officially the first iPE exhaust system in the USA. The iPE Innotech system is made in Taiwan and is the best valvetronic exhaust system that is now readily available for the R56/R58 platform.

The drive back from SF to LA was amazing. No drone and on full WOT it sounds so clean. Blows the Akra outta the water. My MINI is happy to spool quickly and the growl is intoxicating....

Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm assuming you had no fitment issues? What are the costs for the downpipe and exhaust?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I'm assuming you had no fitment issues? What are the costs for the downpipe and exhaust?
Nope! No fitment issues whatsoever. If you're serious about the exhaust and looking to possibly be part of the iPE family, let me know and serious inquires can be forwarded to my guys. This isn't something you would find on Amazon like a Borla or something. This is Akra+++. Price is very close to what Akra's turboback system goes for. I'm very glad I didn't go with my Akra a 2nd time around. It was literally on it's way, but was able to return it and get the iPE instead.

I'll probably mess around late today with my buddy who has a Liberty Walk M3 and he has an iPE system too, so we'll do a revving video later

Name:  IMG_2365_zps14430fb7.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2374_zps5dad29a0.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  168.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2369_zps115fc639.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2376_zps72f3d00e.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  186.6 KB