R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Any chance of a side profile shot? Any rubbing at that height? I am just wondering for when I have my new coilovers set up. It would be nice to show Detroit Tuned so they have an idea when setting everything up. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You'll rub when you take a hard right or left and fenders will rub on the wheels. I will have to raise it a tiny bit so I don't absolutely destroy my new set of fenders when I hit the track later this month. =P

Old 08-11-2014, 06:22 PM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Ok thanks. I will probably have them set it slightly higher. Any chance more camber would fix the issue? Whats the camber now front and rear?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Yes, more camber will fix rubbing on dips and stuff, but like I said, there isn't anything that would prevent it from rubbing on the front when you're making a highspeed turn.

Camber at the moment? I can't really say since I haven't gotten the alignment done. I need to dial in the suspension a bit more this coming weekend to get the right ride height, then I can get the alignment done. It'll probably be -3.1 up front and -2.x in the rear when all is said and done though.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, I have a question about where to go next with my build. Currently I have the following mods:
BattleTune Stage 3
CNT racing catless DP
Wagner FMIC
Forge Silicone inlet/hotside tubes
GFB DV+
Alta CAI
JCW stock exhaust

John mentioned an OCC, but I was wondering where you would go next? I am debating on getting an Alta front end swaybar (I am going to the Minis Slay the Dragon in Oct), save up for exhaust, or get some new spark plugs. Thoughts?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
RJT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '10JCW
Hey man, I have a question about where to go next with my build. Currently I have the following mods:
BattleTune Stage 3
CNT racing catless DP
Wagner FMIC
Forge Silicone inlet/hotside tubes
GFB DV+
Alta CAI
JCW stock exhaust

John mentioned an OCC, but I was wondering where you would go next? I am debating on getting an Alta front end swaybar (I am going to the Minis Slay the Dragon in Oct), save up for exhaust, or get some new spark plugs. Thoughts?
my two cents......you want your car to rotate, not understeer, need to up the rear sway, if you haven't already, and get an aggressive alignment...stay away from front sways...do you have camber plates and coilovers? This will be the most notable and the biggest effect on our cars driving dynamics. Throw on some sticky tires and get on it! A step cooler on your plugs always helps with pre-detonation if you are having this sans a water methanol squirter...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
^+1

If you do intend to do anything to the front, it's reducing the size of the sway bar to the non-S bar. It's 1mm smaller in diameter but I'd only recommend doing that if you knew how to do it yourself or if you had the whole engine out.

Exhaust would be a good option to go with since you have the factory JCW system for now. Other than that you're pretty set on Stg3. Other things you can add, which are miscellaneous, non-power-producing items like shifters, wheels and stuff like that.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 PM
redparchel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I need to dial in the suspension a bit more this coming weekend to get the right ride height
How is this done on the r56 ohlins? is this done by adjusting the preload on the shock? and if so does that have an effect on the 'rate' (for lack of knowing a better word) of the spring?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 PM
RJT
2nd Gear
Looking badasssssss! Want that challenge wing, just about ready to neuter my car, bummed by kind of excited to see what I end up with next. Have a great weekend Friend!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJT
Looking badasssssss! Want that challenge wing, just about ready to neuter my car, bummed by kind of excited to see what I end up with next. Have a great weekend Friend!
Likewise! Have a great weekend. I dropped off the stuff at Ivan's so they're there when you need them!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJT

RJT, if you really want one, I have my old one for sale. It is the M7 carbon fiber model for the R56. Just e-mail me if you are interested.

reaja@***.net

Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Subscribed.

Haven't had a chance yet though to read the whole set so sorry if already asked. I saw at least initially you've used 3 FMICs and 2 intakes so far (at least). Notice any pros/cons between them?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:07 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MinMin2010, I sent you and email if you still have your M7 wing. Is it the full carbon ?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
Subscribed.

Haven't had a chance yet though to read the whole set so sorry if already asked. I saw at least initially you've used 3 FMICs and 2 intakes so far (at least). Notice any pros/cons between them?
The Evolve unit was the least favorite. It didn't have a solid build, that's just my personal opinion. The Helix is great, but the Wagner has been the best so far. It's stealth black and doesn't pop out through the grills, but that really doesn't bother me too much. Black is known to have better heat reduction.

As for intakes. I really first had a DDM Street. Didn't like it because it couldn't clear my M7 strut tower brace at the time. Then we to DOS and it was great, but the sound it made got old fast and just started to annoy me. Claimed to be a "true" CAI, I mean, I guess it was, but I didn't feel much difference. Went to AEM and it was great great system. Melted a valve cover of mine, which was a bit of a mess, but I still to this day feel it's a fabulous intake. I parted ways with it to go with the JCW cone intake and put a new Amsoil cone intake on it. Why? Because the AEM intake piping would not fit on the diameter of the upgraded turbo I had and it just became a pain popping open the hood to ensure it was still clamped on there. So I said screw that and went with the JCW hardpipe along with the cone JCW intake. Fits perfectly fine and I have no issues with fitment onto the turbo anymore.

Hope this was informative!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Today, mounted the track wheels. Haven't put on the Volk Stickers on the spokes, but I think I really and genuinely like these wheels the most after all the different set of Volks I've had up to this point.

Height was raised a bit, and now the ride is much nicer. I think it was so low before it was hitting the internal bumpstops, so now....now this is good

Name:  te37s_zps5eb56beb.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  121.8 KB

Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM
HardTop09
1st Gear
Sweet ride...

Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Those are such cool wheels. The look right at home on your MINI. I've wanted a set for every car I've had. Only four cars but still, I've wanted to put them on each one.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Height was raised a bit, and now the ride is much nicer. I think it was so low before it was hitting the internal bumpstops, so now....now this is good
Curious, what height are you at? Could you measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:00 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Curious, what height are you at? Could you measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch?
Top or the bottom? I'll tape measure it later today.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:03 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Top or the bottom? I'll tape measure it later today.
The bottom of the arch. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
The Evolve unit was the least favorite. It didn't have a solid build, that's just my personal opinion. The Helix is great, but the Wagner has been the best so far. It's stealth black and doesn't pop out through the grills, but that really doesn't bother me too much. Black is known to have better heat reduction.

As for intakes. I really first had a DDM Street. Didn't like it because it couldn't clear my M7 strut tower brace at the time. Then we to DOS and it was great, but the sound it made got old fast and just started to annoy me. Claimed to be a "true" CAI, I mean, I guess it was, but I didn't feel much difference. Went to AEM and it was great great system. Melted a valve cover of mine, which was a bit of a mess, but I still to this day feel it's a fabulous intake. I parted ways with it to go with the JCW cone intake and put a new Amsoil cone intake on it. Why? Because the AEM intake piping would not fit on the diameter of the upgraded turbo I had and it just became a pain popping open the hood to ensure it was still clamped on there. So I said screw that and went with the JCW hardpipe along with the cone JCW intake. Fits perfectly fine and I have no issues with fitment onto the turbo anymore.

Hope this was informative!
Quite, thanks! I originally discarded the AEM a bit out of hand because I know it's a large brand and figured they just did mass production at a lower price for the masses who wanted to look cool. But from what I've heard on here it does seem to be a good intake. I like the straight-from-scoop setup and that it comes with a turbo shield (from what I've seen so far), and they make a bar to go over it. But I'm leaning more towards the JCW one myself. It doesn't seem to look spiffy per se but it does keep things a bit more JCW overall and seems popular for performance. Plus it being fairly low-key on design should open up options for tower braces. I kind of like the M7 myself (if it's the one with the 3 shaped holes toward each end I'm thinking of) but haven't gotten to really looking into them yet.

The FMIC bit helps a lot. I was rather considering the Evolve as I'd like a black one just from the appearance perspective but it seems other than Forge it's been iffy on a good FMIC on here. I haven't seen/heard much on the Helix before now other than occasional side mentions and sigs. I'll have to check out the Wagner. How's that one fit-wise, have to cut plastic or anything or is it a straight fit?

Edit: I just came across a thread of mine where Grizld700 gave me some input on the Wagner. Still interested in yours though. Not enough sleep makes one something something...

Last edited by Aelwulf; 08-24-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The bottom of the arch. Thanks!
Fronts: 24 1/8"
Rears: 24 1/4"

Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
Quite, thanks! I originally discarded the AEM a bit out of hand because I know it's a large brand and figured they just did mass production at a lower price for the masses who wanted to look cool. But from what I've heard on here it does seem to be a good intake. I like the straight-from-scoop setup and that it comes with a turbo shield (from what I've seen so far), and they make a bar to go over it. But I'm leaning more towards the JCW one myself. It doesn't seem to look spiffy per se but it does keep things a bit more JCW overall and seems popular for performance. Plus it being fairly low-key on design should open up options for tower braces. I kind of like the M7 myself (if it's the one with the 3 shaped holes toward each end I'm thinking of) but haven't gotten to really looking into them yet.

The FMIC bit helps a lot. I was rather considering the Evolve as I'd like a black one just from the appearance perspective but it seems other than Forge it's been iffy on a good FMIC on here. I haven't seen/heard much on the Helix before now other than occasional side mentions and sigs. I'll have to check out the Wagner. How's that one fit-wise, have to cut plastic or anything or is it a straight fit?

Edit: I just came across a thread of mine where Grizld700 gave me some input on the Wagner. Still interested in yours though. Not enough sleep makes one something something...
The Wagner intercooler is not a straight fit. Just like the Forge unit, it has a top mounted tab. I cut the tab off because you don't need it and with it, you wouldn't be able to fit the unit flush/parallel to the condenser unit.

To mount it, cut the top tab, and then the upper portion should slide up in place before the bottom. Line up the bottom and then connect the 2 hoses. Pretty easy once you've cut the tab.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Shiny, thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build