R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Went to the track yesterday at Button Willow. Must say I still love the BF Goodridge G-Force Rivals a lot. This is my 2nd set since I sold my first set to a good friend of mine after I sold the RE-30's. Enjoy the week everybody!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Second build:

2nd Megan Coilovers
Stoptech BBK
Forge FMIC
18" Custom Red CCW Classics
AP Stg3
Akrapovic DP + Catback
Craven SSK
Aquamist HFS-4
JCW Body Kit
DOS Intake
M7 STB
17x7.5" Volk CE28N Gold
Factory LSD

The wheel color is perfection, ra2fanatic.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I absolutely love these 18" Custom Red CCW Classics wheels better than any others ra2fanatic has had, why did you get rid of these wheels ra2fanatic?

Your builds are above and beyond of 99% out there online!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
Thanks! Miss this finish too....

Originally Posted by Systemlord
I absolutely love these 18" Custom Red CCW Classics wheels better than any others ra2fanatic has had, why did you get rid of these wheels ra2fanatic?

Your builds are above and beyond of 99% out there online!
StopTech clearance. It pushed the wheels out way too much that when I hit hard dips on freeways or anywhere in general that doesn't have even surface it would destroy my wheel arches and pop it off my front bumper. Just a headache at the end of the day. As much as I loved them, my StopTech's are never going to go, wheels are always going to be interchangeable.

Sadly CCW doesn't do custom anodized red anymore, so I had to go with their brushed silver on my D110's, if it weren't for that, I'd have the same finish as my 2nd set of Classics.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A+a+a+

Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Thanks! Miss this finish too....

StopTech clearance. It pushed the wheels out way too much that when I hit hard dips on freeways or anywhere in general that doesn't have even surface it would destroy my wheel arches and pop it off my front bumper. Just a headache at the end of the day. As much as I loved them, my StopTech's are never going to go, wheels are always going to be interchangeable.

Sadly CCW doesn't do custom anodized red anymore, so I had to go with their brushed silver on my D110's, if it weren't for that, I'd have the same finish as my 2nd set of Classics.
I'm sure you could find someone else to anodized your wheels.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I'm sure you could find someone else to anodized your wheels.
Probably, but anodizing isn't something that everyone can do perfectly.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Probably, but anodizing isn't something that everyone can do perfectly.
I know what you mean, had a paintball gun anodized (T6 6160 aluminum) many years ago and there were areas that looked somewhat unfinished.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind my asking how much did the iPE set you back? I recently came across the Garbino's that I liked, but after hearing some YouTube of the iPEs definitely like those better. That's on my target list for next year *hopefully*.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like your thread was featured on the email again

Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I know what you mean, had a paintball gun anodized (T6 6160 aluminum) many years ago and there were areas that looked somewhat unfinished.
Yeah, so to get it redone, I don't want to end up ruining the existing finish and have something on top of that, that I know isn't perfect and I'll be staring at it all day.
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
If you don't mind my asking how much did the iPE set you back? I recently came across the Garbino's that I liked, but after hearing some YouTube of the iPEs definitely like those better. That's on my target list for next year *hopefully*.
Contact GT Auto Concepts and see what they give you. I've given out the price I can get it at, but I kinda stopped doing that only because I get pm's all the time about it, then they get ice cold after I give them the price. And that's with people also saying "I'll come out to see your ride and check out your exhaust because I really want to get it but I want to hear it in person" and THEY NEVER DO.
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Looks like your thread was featured on the email again
Apparently! lol.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
lol! i was also there...

Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Where?

Edit: yeah....site needs some reenergizing! :-P

Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Contact GT Auto Concepts and see what they give you. I've given out the price I can get it at, but I kinda stopped doing that only because I get pm's all the time about it, then they get ice cold after I give them the price. And that's with people also saying "I'll come out to see your ride and check out your exhaust because I really want to get it but I want to hear it in person" and THEY NEVER DO.
I sent them a note asking. I'm not expecting it to be in the 'normal' range, guessing $3-4k-ish. Hence the next year bit instead of sooner. lol

People are strange, it'd be great to get to hang out with another owner for a bit and talk shop. :p I used to do the same with a classic motorcycle group: we'd hang out, work on bikes, compare parts, and have beers. Sounds like a MINI gathering for an afternoon!

Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
MINI meets are strange. I've been to a couple and they definitely lack a vibe I've been used to when I had my BMW. I know a few and they're great, but others....it's a strange feeling.

Anyways! you'll be seeing high 2, low 3's on the system at the end of the day. But nothing beats the sound of this system. I get tire of things pretty quickly on the MINI, especially when it comes to wheels, but I can say there are a few things that'll never go...my shifter, exhaust, and brakes. Everything else...they have a shelf life....:D

Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
amen to the shifter. i know someone who has one used for sale. he's been out of minis for a few years now and still won't budge on the 1k price tag.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
lol. Might as well buy it brand new.

It's $1034 from Hard Motorsport, the only US distributor of the CAE Ultra Shifter. AND for $1034 NEW, you get the updated CAE shifter which was released earlier this year. Same great feel, but I think they revised the design a bit in regards to the reverse gear or something like that.

So best to get a new one because you don't know how worn out it could have been

He's sitting on something that won't ever appreciate, so not sure what he's trippin' on.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Plus with buying it new from Hard for the 1034 price you get to pick what color shifter ****. They use to charge more if you wanted something besides gunmetal

Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Don't remind me about that....when I ordered it, they only had the gunmetal ****. Now you can order whatever color you want!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
I have a black ****! Call the guys at Hard motor sports, buy it new! It's amazing shifter!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 AM
mini_aaron
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to the track yesterday at Button Willow. Must say I still love the BF Goodridge G-Force Rivals a lot. This is my 2nd set since I sold my first set to a good friend of mine after I sold the RE-30's. Enjoy the week everybody!
Do you have your own youtube channel with some track onboards? I just can't wait my ohlins+hyperco. Really wanna see how your car drive on ohlins...(with a lot more power and seriousness and iPE sound!)

Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Hey ra2fanatic what's the dealer about having to revalve/rebuild ohlins R&T coilovers?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_aaron
Do you have your own youtube channel with some track onboards? I just can't wait my ohlins+hyperco. Really wanna see how your car drive on ohlins...(with a lot more power and seriousness and iPE sound!)
Which Hyperco springs did you get and who did you order them from!?

I have a couple of Vimeo videos but don't really post much, so you'll be sadly disappointed with the update interval. lol. BUT when I do post a video, it's normally pretty good, but also bad.

I go through buying GoPros and then selling them pretty quickly, don't know why but if I have it sit around long enough I end up selling it because I feel bad and know someone else will put it to better use.

Hey ra2fanatic what's the dealer about having to revalve/rebuild ohlins R&T coilovers?
Not sure. When I called up Ohlin before they didn't think it was necessary to get revalved so quickly. Their intervals are rather short, but I've gone well over 25k miles and haven't had any issues, so it's up to end user to decide when it's time to service them...

Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
mini_aaron
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Which Hyperco springs did you get and who did you order them from!? I have a couple of Vimeo videos but don't really post much, so you'll be sadly disappointed with the update interval. lol. BUT when I do post a video, it's normally pretty good, but also bad. I go through buying GoPros and then selling them pretty quickly, don't know why but if I have it sit around long enough I end up selling it because I feel bad and know someone else will put it to better use. Not sure. When I called up Ohlin before they didn't think it was necessary to get revalved so quickly. Their intervals are rather short, but I've gone well over 25k miles and haven't had any issues, so it's up to end user to decide when it's time to service them...
Hyperco 2.5id(i guess) same spring length, rate xxx/xxx. I just searched what spring rate others using for their track biased mini, and applied it to my driving taste... Answer was xxx/xxx.. Donno how it will b tho lol~
Ordered it from PSI, sonoma. with vorshlag plate. Still on backorder, havn't even been charged for it.
Also glad to hear that you are ok without rebuild so far.(manufacturer suggests rebuild every 15000 miles/10hrs of track use as u know)

Last edited by mini_aaron; 03-28-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_aaron
Hyperco 2.5id(i guess) same spring length, rate 400/425. I just searched what spring rate others using for their track biased mini, and applied it to my driving taste... Answer was 400/425.. Donno how it will b tho lol~
Ordered it from PSI, sonoma. with vorshlag plate. Still on backorder, havn't even been charged for it.
Also glad to hear that you are ok without rebuild so far.(manufacturer suggests rebuild every 15000 miles/10hrs of track use as u know)
Ah okay. I've already forgotten what I'm running as far as the Hyperco's go, but it was a bit stiffer than stock and I'm glad I got them. Did you get the same length as stock or shorter? I'm telling you now, you won't be able to slam the MINI. Look through some of the recent photos I've posted and you'll see what I mean. I'm at a very good height now, but it was a lot of trial and error to get it right.

Rebuild every 15k is a bit of an overkill, but then again, that's 15k TRACK miles.

Quick Reply: R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build